Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
dsj37,

i was there about 3 weeks ago. The drinks were not always warm, the lager was always cold from the bars (the beer in the mini bar of the junior suite was always warm when delivered, but just order some more from room service and it's always ice cold!), the coke/7up/fanta was always cold too!

The only thing i can think of that would take 50 minutes would be the waiter service at either the main pool area or the patio area at main reception, other than that it was fine, and you can always get off your bum and get em yerself! :D

The only building work going on was that next door to the hotel site, another resort was going up. My suite backed onto this work, and i never got woken up by it in the morning. The workmen were always quite considerate ie no shouting, whistling etc no revving of engines from machinery (in fact they only had 1 JCB on the whole site, the rest was done by hand!). The only time you could see them working was from one end of the beach.

We were ill, but nothing that a few dashes to the toilet wouldn't cure (until we got home that is!). Just avoid the usual ice, tap water, drinking the pool (which we did a lot of, as we like to try and drown each other! :shock: )and you should be ok. If you do get a poorly tum, head across to the chemist over the road and it should be gone in a day.

Oldham Beast,

as StalyVegas mentions, Naama bay is a good night out for the young 'uns (and oldies like me!). The diving trips looked like they would be a good bet too. We also did the desert safari, where you get to eat in a bedouin tent, ride a camel and go snorkeling in the blue hole, we both enjoyed that.
Other than that, there are plenty of other things to keep two 18yr old lads occupied, they are usually tall, blonde, leggy and russian! :twisted:
KekKef
Nice to have you back.
It sounds from your last posting that you did upgrade your family room to a suite. Did you by any chance see inside a family room while you were ther or find where they are situated? I'm still trying to see pics if anyone has any of the elusive family room- can anyone out ther help? :roll:
I returned from the Grand Azure on Monday.

We stayed for two weeks and our friends stayed for one week. The top half of the complex is great looking with some amazing swimming pools. The lobby bar was great for a cool drink in the evening, but I must say it was extreamly busy, so the drinks could take a while. We found the the billiard bar had especially warm beer, but if you sit outside the main restaraunt it seemed ok.

Tipping the waiters speeds everything up to the point that drinks turn up before you hit the bottom of the glass. We did test this the other way and yes, the drinks service slowed down. Not really 5* treatment then, unless you flash the cash.

The diving is amazing!!!! So for me this is the biggest plus point on the holiday. It's just like swimming in a big tropical fish tank wow!!!!. We took a PADI Open water course from http://www.wernerlau.com which has an office in the hotel grounds. The course is run at their main office about 15 minutes down the road. For anyone thinking of doing it, be aware you will need to do some classroom work as well as the diving. You do get to do some great training dives as well. I had to cut my training short in the end because I got the dreaded bad belly, which I couldn't seem to shift. Not good being in the sea in a wet suit with not toilet. We also had to cancel the diving on the second week as our friends had the same problem. I don't think it is as bad if you are at the hotel as you can pop back to your room. This did put a bit of a downer on the holiday as Diving was at the top of our list.

To sum it up then, Hotel looks fantastic, the Diving is out of this world, Tipping gets you the service (but defeats the object of AI if you do it too much). Imodium is a fantastic drug :)
:shock:
I'm a little bit concerned with just over a week to go about the amount of people who return saying they have all suffered from a bad tummy or worse.

Is there any precautions to take, I have been ill before many years ago and it knocked me out for a week, do not want that again.

Also on the subject of tipping the bar staff, are you best to tip once to get quick service or each time they bring drinks and how much should you tip, I'm taking some US dollar bills and egyptian as well as sterling.

eggweena - What was the cost of the Diving course and how many days does it take, I'm going to do the same whilst there. :lol:

Nigel
Hi

Our room backed onto the building site but we never once heard anything and our drinks were always cold.

Everyone going out tomorrow have a great time.

Nicky
Well im just about ready, just been to get my 50 pounds worth of egyptian pounds and getting the rest when i get there (as recommended on this site)
Im very excited as we go on tuesday, but also a little worried about the bad tum !
Just a couple of things for those who have just returned, does anyone know if your GHD straightners work over there? and do you recommend I take my own hair dryer or was the one in the room ok?
Did you get the bus into Namma bay was it easy to get booked on for going in the evenings?
Whats this little hotel train a few people have mentioned? were does it go?? sounds fun !
Hi Crazyblonde,

The hairdryer is in the bathroom andnot very powerful at all. I hardly used it, as I would just let my hair dry in the heat outside. If you want to style your hair then I guess take your own. We only went on the train once and the driver let our baby do the steering, which he loved. We didn't find it too far to walk from lobby to beach. Never knew what time the train ran so we always missed it. The train just runs along the outside of the hotel and down to the beach.

have a fab holiday
Tipping - we only did it when the service got a bit slow and you don't have to give that much. 10 Egyptian pounds will kick start your evening nicely. Don't worry in the day as we didn't have any service problems.

Diving - The Basic PADI Package is the Scuba Diving which is 2 days and cost £180 and the full open water I think was £250, although it isn't showing on my credit card bill yet. It takes a little bit of time out of your holiday, but the Red Sea is the place to do it.
Just for reference a full day out on a boat with 2 dives costs 65 euro + 25 e for equipment hire + 55 euro for an instructor if you havent got a Padi licence. I think you can share the intructor between 2 people but if you do your open water licence on the first week, you don't need to have one.
Oh and you can go deeper when you have a licence. :)
hi everyone

just finished packing ,going tomorrow from manchester, cant believe its finally here. :hyper :yipee

Big thanks to everyone , all the info has been really useful, looking forward to seeing everyone out there. :ghug

bye for now

kkazz
Lambretta

i fly from Manchester on the17th with my wife & daughter age 9 we can't wait :yikes

only 16 more sleeps before we go!!!!
lambretta
we go out on the 11th july from gatwick me and the wife and two eighteen year olds, you wont be able to miss us!!
can anybody tell me if there is any tea or coffee making facilities in the room?
Can anyone tell me where the nearest pharmacy is to the Hotel and what the opening hours are?

I am due to visit the resort in Nov, hope its not to hot, but warm enough to sunbath. I have learned through this very friendly and helpful thread that there is a courserty bus from the hotel to the Nimmi Bay, My wife and I do like a drink and intend to vist Nimmi Bay 3 or 4 times in the week we are there, so my question is does the coursety bus take you back to the hotel and if so when do they stop running?

Thanks In Advance
Hia dsj

There is a chemist right opposite the hotel - as you walk out of the hotel front entrance it is directly opposite you on the other side of the road. Not sure of opening times, think its pretty much all day.

Nathangunn - yes the hotel operates a free bus service into Naam Bay every day, you have to book it a day in advance at reception - they run approximately every hour and I think that the last one back picks you up in Naam at 11.30pm.

If you want to stay later, a taxi should only cost you £5-7.

Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday
Hi guys going to grand azure next week but im a bit worried. Just wondering if anyone whos been to sharm airport can tell me how carefully the passport control check passports. Got a bit of damage, my passports abit worn, but its only noticeable if you look carefull. Been told by the post office its ok and the airport said i will be able to check in in england. I have been told though i may have trouble in egypt, getting a bit paranoid. Did they just glance at the picture?Because if they do they won't notice. sorry i know its a random question. And also how far is the hotel from bars and restaurants i'v heard it's a bit isolated. thanks for any help. xx
Bex,

Stop worrying about your passport! As long as they can read the number and your name and the picture can be termed loosely, as similar to you, you should have no problem at all. Egypt is waiting to welcome you and the money you will spend, not worrying about a tatty passport!
If anyone has stayed at this hotel please add your review HERE

Hello

Have just got back and apart from the expected stomach problems that we both had everything else was really good.

will give a brief overview now and will post more details soon and answer any questions.

1. Stayed in a suite which we booked before going out. Room was lovely apart from the shower which could not decide what temp it wanted to be.

2. Food was average, we actually ended up in the buffet more that the restaurants as it had a wider variety. The local spirits all taste the same but in the VIP lounge you can get real brands.

3. Staff were always very polite and although we did tip on occasion we found that actually just being polite made a huge difference to them.

4. We both got bad stomach upsets but went to the chemist across the road asap. Just about everyone had the same and some people were very ill on drips in their rooms etc. The important thing is to not get dehydrated and not waste too much time trying out our drugs, go local asap.

5. The weather was amazing, really hot and did not see a cloud the whole week.

Now a few random comments... Only got bitten once and did not use any bug spray. Snorkelling is good and you will need beach shoes which are £5, snorkelling stuff is between £12-£20.

We would go back, the only thing stopping us is the upset stomach situation. Go with an open mind and you will all have a great time.

Sorry if this is waffle and that the spelling is bad but i am really tired. Am happy to answer questions.
well im all packed and ready to go tommorow ! think ive got everthing, a egyptian pounds for the Taxi when we get there, and plenty of Imodium etc!
Just one thing is it worth carrying our own airbeds out there for the pool, or is there a shop close to hte hotel where we can buy them cheap when we get there?
Ellie did you eat out in Namma bay at all? did you find it easy to get booked on the shuttle bus ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.