Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
Please do not worry about the men at the hotel. They were allways charming and very friendly.
Yes i did get a bit fed up of the attention towards the end of the week but i never felt intimidated and it even added to the fun of the holiday, with the waiters regularly performing tricks at our table and making us laugh, there was one guy in the main restaurant who was very insistant on giving me his email so i accepted, i did not email him of course.
It will not ruin your holiday, just smile and be friendly to them, i truly beleive they mean no harm. The pool boys are so sweet and can not do enough to help, the bar staff make jokes and tease but in a nice way, as do the waiters.
So go and enjoy and do not worry.
Hi Cherry-wine

As I have said it can happen pretty much anywhere. Maybe they are just being over-friendly in the hope of getting extra tips. Think any staff member no matter where would only take it further if we acctually wanted it to, and then its difficult to do without being caught and getting the sack.

Looking forward to the reports from all the others currently out there.
hi all !
got back onthe 14th july !
best holiday ever
hi

all you people who have been to the grand azure, how far is the complex from the bazzar where one of the bombs went off.

we are going on the 11/8 and nothing will put us off, but i would like to know how near we will be.
Wendywu
we are going on 13th Aug and must admit, have already phoned holiday company to find out the position re cancellation.
I believe the hotel is about 8 kilometers the other side of the airport from Sharm town, a total of about 14 kilometers away.
Travel agents advice at present is that travel will be as normal and cancellation charges would apply so looks as though we will be going.
I suppose it's not really any different than having a few days in London or anywhere else for that matter at the moment. we live in a world with some sick people !!
See you there and lets hope for a peaceful and relaxing holiday.
Just thought I'd reassure anyone coming here soon, the bomb attack has not affected the hotel, very secure here and the road from the hotel has road blocks in place and has had since we arrived, we were in the town yesterday, decided to go morning rather than evening!! someone must have been watching over us??
I will do a full report when back on monday but the hotel in fantastic - make sure you are in a suite around the top lagoon pool though. We all 4 have been ill, myself very bad on sunday, its not the hotel we have meet others from different hotels all had the same, you must buy 2 packets of tablets, one yellow for before food amd one green for after, they cost 12 pouns sterling from chemist across the road, 4 pounds from the town if you can get there - get them on arrival - I have spent 30 pounds on tablets and 3 packs of imodium!!
hi grandslam

im sure we will be fine, as we are in a self contained compex with every thing we need on site.

we are not in some tiny hotel in the middle of the tourist area, having to go out to eat somewhere different every night and for entertainment.

so i feel we are quite lucky compared to some, see you there.
Hi Hotrodder,

Glad to hear that everyone is fine at the Grand Azure. The bombings are really bad, no one is 100% safe no matter where they go these days, they must be so sick to do stuff like that.

Anyway, glad your having a good holiday despite the tummy upsets and look forward toyour report when your back later.

Nicky
Just arrived back in Manchester this morning, met by police. emergency services and even a vicar. I have to say My Travel, Airtours were superb whilst in resort and at airport in the UK, we went out on a half empty 747 and came back on a cramed one, a lot of people returning early.

As I said in my last post the Grand Azure is a way out of Narma Bay and you feel very safe there, some of the staff are a bit shuck up as they have friends affected by the blast, it did'nt really trouble us to much as it was at the end of our holiday and we had done a few trips out diving etc and been into Narma Bay. the trips I think should start again this week, but the town I would imagine will be off your wish list for a while, and there is'nt anywhere else to go.

Anyway there is plenty to do at the hotel unless you dont like sitting around the pools in 100 degree heat - its not that bad, always a nice breeze and its fantasic at night, like standing in front of a fan heater on full - 35 degrees most nights, set your room air-con to 25 and its great. I will post a report on the hotel page as I have a lot to say, but if anyone has any questions about any mattere please PM me or just ask

Nigel
Hi there.

To everyone that is travelling soon. Please can I come in your suitcase.

I am not sure exactly where the bombings took place, but the hotel is at least 30 minutes away from the town. When we stay at the Hotel in May the security was tight around the area.
We thought about cancelling due to the last bombing incident but did not. We wanted to have a nice holiday and we did just that.
We were lucky we did not have any cock ups with our flight and room. The food was excellent and the staff friendly. We did not bother to up grade. The cocktails were lovely, lager was ok. There was ouze and water. My husband like the brandy. There again we are not great alcohol drinkers. There was plenty of choice for us.
I will say that going in May it was not so crowded so we were able to eat in the speciality restuarants more than once. We did think going later in the year would be very busy.
We all come back with different memories of our holiday. Some good some bad. We can say we had a fantastic time being totally lazy. Yes we had an upset tummy, but we did not let it spoil our holiday.

Have a great time all those that are going soon.

Take care
hi all

does anyone know what the security is like at the grand azure now. has it been upped since the bombs.
wendywu

As I said, all hotels before bombs have high security, The G A benifits from a road block check point about a mile before the hotel and you are far from Narma Bay, all hotels have gated access with security gaurds then at the entrance to the hotel is a local police man and a further guard, you have to pass through a metal detector as well, at the beach there is also security, all this said though its difficult to stop the nutters just raming though the gates in a lorry into the rection of the hotel!

Dont be put off, I've just spoken to a friend who was flying out on thursday who has cancelled to go to Tennerife, I said to them whats stopping these idiots targeting there next!!

Don't let them win, continue to go to Sharm otherwise this area will die quickly it depends on tourist.

Nigel
Hi Nigel

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. Glad you are back safe. We went to Grand Azure last October and will be returning again this October and can't wait. I have just read your review and you mention that you upgraded to a junior suite - did you just upgrade the room or did the price include the ultra all inclusive too?

Thanks
Eirian
hi all
got back 14th july, been a bit busy . hotel and grounds fantastic, should have had 3 family rooms( never managed to see one), but got a junior suite by waterfall pool and two connecting rooms in block 5 by fountain pool that shared a massive sitting room, great for the kids when it got hot outside. junior suite is a larger bedroom with settee and chairs, larger bathroom with separate shower, all very clean. between the group we ate at all the restaurants, chinese excellent ,need to book by 10am to get in. Egyptian (oriental) restaurant also good but didnt seem as popular, were very strict on dress code for speciality restaurants, people were turned away.tropicana restaurant by the beach was great at lunchtime for a kebab or pizza.we walked along beach prom to laguna vista hotel where there was a small arcade with 5 or 6 shops.all got stomach upsets but it didnt spoil the holiday, cant stress enough to take loads of rehydration sachets, the chemist over the road does sell them but they are dearer. only fault i could make was the slow service at the lobby bar and terrace bar in the evenings, needed extra staff. only went to naama bay once, didnt feel the need to leave the complex. would definitely go back to grand azure again, any questions just ask.
hi all
got back 14th july, been a bit busy . hotel and grounds fantastic, should have had 3 family rooms( never managed to see one), but got a junior suite by waterfall pool and two connecting rooms in block 5 by fountain pool that shared a massive sitting room, great for the kids when it got hot outside. junior suite is a larger bedroom with settee and chairs, larger bathroom with separate shower, all very clean. between the group we ate at all the restaurants, chinese excellent ,need to book by 10am to get in. Egyptian (oriental) restaurant also good but didnt seem as popular, were very strict on dress code for speciality restaurants, people were turned away.tropicana restaurant by the beach was great at lunchtime for a kebab or pizza.we walked along beach prom to laguna vista hotel where there was a small arcade with 5 or 6 shops.all got stomach upsets but it didnt spoil the holiday, cant stress enough to take loads of rehydration sachets, the chemist over the road does sell them but they are dearer. only fault i could make was the slow service at the lobby bar and terrace bar in the evenings, needed extra staff. only went to naama bay once, didnt feel the need to leave the complex. would definitely go back to grand azure again, any questions just ask.
Eirian

Just upgraded room @ $10 per adult per night, they want $25 for green ulta AI wristbands - not worth it, you get use of the stuffy VIP lounge for breakfast, some branded drinks, you dont have to book for the restaurants but thats no big deal if you get there at 9.45am and you get some drinks in your mini fridge - just get them from the bar and take them to your room yourself!! Mostly Germans who upgrade and I would rather not be sitting in a small room with any of the ones we met last week! no disrespect to geman people mind you.

As I have said these suite rooms are at the top of the complex which is where you want to be otherwise there is a lot of walking, its also worth thinking of family rooms , I think these are located in two slanted fronted blocks opposit ech other, one by the kids slides, our rep said there were not a lot more than the suites and have a seperate bed area for the kids, the camp beds we got were not brilliant but the kids were ok.

Nigel
Nigel

Pleased you enjoyed your break. We are due to go to GA on 28th August. A bit concerned following this weekends news, but still very much looking forward to our holiday.

As we are just a couple do you still think it is worth up-grading. We enjoy walking so do not mind if we are not close to the restaurants. Not sure what gains there would be for us. Can you up-grade your wristband without the room? I do enjoy my branded spirits.

Any information you are able to proivde would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sheila
Hi Shelia

Yes I think you can do just the wristband, must work out at $15 pppn, yes the standard rooms would be very good for 2 but I thought the location of the suites were a lot better, bottom end showing signs of age, pool, bars etc, much prefered sitting around the top pool, also more noise around bottom pools. Nice piped music during the day and evening around the lagoon and the lighting is fantastic. Don't worry about recent events, the hotel is very secure and we all know it could happen in any european resort.

If anyone is interested I have put a few pictures on a image web site I use you can view them at

http://www.imagestation.com

the username is 34hotrodder and the password is legin they are in a folder called Grand Azure

Nigel
Hi Hotrodder

Your pictures are really great. I am treating my parents to their holiday this year, i wanted them to go somewhere a little different, and AI, so they would not have to worry about spending money. i know its selfish but i could have cried when the bombs went off, as i didnt think they would still want to go.

however we are still going on the 11/8 they are a little nervous of course. but looking at your pictures i know they will think they are in paradise. many thanks i cannot wait to see their faces when we get there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.