Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
Thanks hotrodder, upgrade is more expensive than i thought then. You think they would do it free now, for the people who have decided to still go when they have been given the option to cancel.
Hi Marg

We are due to go 28th August and I am still looking forward to it despite the bad reports and the recent events in naama bay.

Can you advise are the standard rooms in an older part of the hotel and are they of the same standard as the family rooms and junior suites. I cant se the point in paying extra to up-grade if all you get is additional space. There are only two of us so dont need extra beds.

I have also been told about a place called fantasia. Has anyone been there and would they recommend a visit. How far is it from GA.

Thanks for answers in advance.
Hi Sheila - we went to Fantasia last year. We went with some egyptians (from the hotel). Taxi was about 25 mins if I recall. It was a fantastic place, like a palace with a beatiful restaurants, artwork, real egyptian entertainment. We were surrounded mostly by locals which was great. I think we paid a small fee to get in but it was well worth it. One word of warning though - I suffer from infected mosquito bites and until we went to Fantasia I'd only had a couple but after our visit I got quite a few!! I would ask one of staff at the hotel about Fantasia and they will direct you. We are going on 28th September from Manchester. Have a lovely time.

Eirian
:) Hi everyone we are going out on the 17th August so maybe will see some of you there. This web site is great but so much info, its gets confusing trying to follow all the themes.

Think we have worked out on what currency to take not much Egyptian and change it there when necessary. Small notes for tipping.

How to avoid/manage the tummy upsets - still abit worried about tablets for children. Have you bought them there or got stuff fromyour Dr's before going?

We would like to see some of teh area but fter recent events we are a bit nervous about venturing into Naama bay but would anyone recommend other places to visit. Has anyone been up to St Katherines Mount(?) or other trips that they would recommend. Need to be suitable for a 6 yr old.
hi dodie

we returned 15th july, we got medicine from the chemist over there for the dehli belly, for the children it was given as a liquid, which tasted okay according to the kids.

in agreement with marg ,had a fantastic relaxing time in fabulous surroundings, even the slow bar service in the evening didnt spoil the holiday.

to every one due to go

Enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hi Shiela

Their was 3 of us in our room plenty big enough loads of space.
Yes they are in the older part of the complex but if you are a beach lover or love to snorkle this is an advantage as they are close to the beach plus if you ask for a high floor you get a fantastic sea view.
Never seen the inside of a suite or family room so I can not compare but we were more than happy with our room which was in cluster 2 on the 3rd floor.
Hope this answers your questions.

Marg
Got back on Thursday, had read many reviews on the LTI and went with an open mind.
The first impressions were excellent - room lovely (junior suite in cluster 18) lovely pools especially the waterfall pool, gardens kept spotless, no problems with the food and we tried everything from the beach bar to the al a carte.
None of us 2 adults or the two children had upset stomachs - lots did say they had stomach cramps but I personally put this down to the heat and not drinking enough fluids as this is the only thing people had in common as they had all eaten different things.
The only gripe we had was the slow and it was very slow bar service at the reception - first week the service was brilliant but come the second week we could be waiting for 20 to 30 mins. Then the penny dropped we were no longer the new guests that needed to be impressed and the waiters favoured the new arrivals who would tip more in the first week!!

To those who have yet to go - enjoy, we did, and don't worry about the food, it's the heat and not taking in enough fluids that will give you problems.
Sorry have to disagree re stomach upsets, I drank fluids like a fish, it is the food, I had to go to the doctor on my return and after tests it was said that my problem was down to intestinal bacteria, caused by the food, also can be caused by bacteria on drinking glasses etc, ie washing plastic glasses in water and leaving in the heat to dry, in my opion this is one of the main causes. :oops:
Hi Budda
Thank you for your trip report. It's a relief to hear that it's possible to escape having to suffer from stomach upsets at the Grand Azure - just about everyone who has returned in the last couple of months has reported being ill to some degree. :( I have to say that I agree with hotrodder - there's more to it than just the heat and fluid intake issues. My husband and I both suffered horrendous upset tummies in the Dominican Republic (which is also renown for poor food hygeine practices) and we took every precaution. Like hotrodder, hospital tests proved that we had picked up a parasitical infection which is why I am quite anxious about our forthcoming trip. We've travelled to many other destinations without a problem and I really don't want this holiday to be spoilt like our trip to the DR was. We are hoping to take a couple of trips whilst at the Grand Azure (Cairo, Mt Sinai) so I REALLY don't want to be held captive in our bathroom! Anyway, enough of that. I was encouraged by your report so thanks.

We are also staying in a Junior Suite. Did you find cluster 1 to be a good location or, if you had a choice, would you suggest a different cluster. Which floor were you on and, likewise, which would you recommend. Can you tell me if the ground floor suites have enclosed patios or can other guests encroach on your space and children 'escape' from the suite via the patio should they decide to?

As you were there in peak summer holiday season did you find the hotel, pools, slides and sunbeds to be unbearably overcrowded and did your children (if they are of the appropriate age) use the kids club? Lastly, did you fly with First Choice by chance and, if so, how tortuous was the flight? I assume that there are no seat back TVs? Were your children able to watch the overhead TV screens?

Sorry to overload you with questions :oops: and thanks for your help.
am going to G A on saturday and now really looking forward to it.
all of you who have decided to still go, will see you at the bar.
those who have changed holidays, hope you have a great time wherever you have managed to change too.
anyone travelling on saturday from gatwick? see you on the flight.
my kids aged 11/8/8 hoping some other childen of similar ages going. they are a little worried that they won't have much company :?:
hope the weather holds out, understand it dropped to only 43 degrees centigrade this week :!:
Ermintrude

Our junior suite was ground floor cluster eighteen with a patio but not enclosed, cluster one is by the beach quiet a walk to the reception area, and to the main waterfalls pool. Wherever you are it is quiet a walk to the beach or reception, we booked through Airtours and flew with MYTravel the flight wasn't bad as it took 5 hours both ways.

Sunbeds were hard to come by during our first couple of days, had to get up at 6am to 6.30am but after the bombs alot went home and not many came out so you could easily get a sunbed at 9.00am.
Did see some Germans putting towels out the night before and did complain to the manager but his response was that they couldn't stop them, so bring on four livley children who found it great fun to collect all the towels and dump them in one big pile - good fun to watch the Germans search for their towels the next morning!!

Kids didn't go to the kids club, but enjoyed the water park and the pools, only knew of a few who went to the kids club and they really enjoyed it.

With regard to upset tummies, we didn't drink from the plastic glasses from the bars during the day as we just drank bottled water even the kids drank the water as it was colder, in the resturants we just checked the plates were clean and the cutlery and wiped them over ourselves with the napkins to be on the safe side which is a habit of mine wherever we go.

Those we met who had the upset tummies and the stomach cramps didn't seem to let it spoil their holidays as they were still round the pool during the day but made sure their rooms were close by.
Hi ermintrude and grandslam

First choice now have TVs in the back of the seats and extra leg room to egypt.

We will be at GA from 11/8. I have two daughters 12 and 16. Nice to know my younger one will have some company. See you all there.
where did you hear about the tv in back of seats, i know first choice have new planes because our travel agent told us but we were told they were not being used for eygpt, i hope they are it will be nice..
oh im sorry was just asking with post above did not relise again im sorry.
budda
nice to see someone else reacts the same way to towels left out the night before. always encourage the kids to have a competition to see who can throw the most towels left overnight into the pool before they go to bed.
always seems to be a favourite game for some reason and as you say, does tend to be amusing in the morning when the germans amble down at about 10.00 expecting their sunbeds to be reserved !!
suggest that if everyone else going does the same thing the ignorant gits might get the message. :twisted:
roll on saturday, can't wait to get there now
I am due to stay here in Nov.

I have decided to bring sterling with me to Egypt and change it there, does the hotel offer an exchange facility and are the rates any good?, i understand they won't be as good as Naama Bay but are they better than in England?

Cheers.
Exchange at hotel 10 to the £1 and 5.7 to the US dollar
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting a question. We are going (family of 4, children aged 12 and 9) have read lots on this site and others concerning the hotel, we are going on the 23rd Aug, is there much for kids this age to do, and (yep this may sound stupid) but are there DVD's in the rooms?? was thinking of bringing a few films for the kids to watch in the evening if the entertainment is BAD! :roll:
No DVD's in the rooms, TV with CNN and BBC World in english, not a lot for Kids in the evening, we were in bed every night around 10pm as our kids were very tired with the heat (and having to get up at 6am for a lounger!!!)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.