General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
15kg wouldn't be enough for me - we paid to get an extra 5kg last year. That said, my mum copied on 15kg for two weeks in Turkey.
I think if you're going AI Mari, 20kgs would be fine as you won't have the weight of towels in your cases. You'll also have some toiletries provided. If you're a bit worried you can always purchase toiletry items/suncreams/medications in the airport after security. That way they won't count as part of your allowance. I've done this in the past.

This year only 15kgs were included in our price so I've purchased the extra 5kgs to take it to 20kg. I should be fine although I'll need to be taking towels this time. Ooh, remember to take as big a bag as you're allowed for hand luggage, then you can put things like shoes/books etc in there to help you out.
we only have 15 kg for our next trip [one week] but we have done 2 on 20kg no problem... MOST people take far too much... it took me a few years to get the OH sorted... don't take what you think you need.. take what you do need.. in the case of the OH it was a couple of pairs of shoes [not 3pr a day] mix and match skirts/shorts/tops [instead of 3 sets a day] 1or 2 swim-ware [not like some 2 sets a day] and sufficient undies, 1 cardi [in-case its chilly in the evening] and a few socks/tights.. she started out at 25kg for a week when we started travelling and is now down to 12.5kg for a week [and some of that comes back un-used]

yasus
wizard
That's very true Wizard. I have learned not to take many shoes. I usually fly in plimsol/trainers and take two pairs of sandals/flips flops - one for the day and one for the evening. Anything more than that isn't needed.

That said - make sure you take enough undies. Running out of underwear is no fun!
You obviously don't understand women Wizard. :D

30years ago when I took resort holidays I liked to take lots of different outfits, plus different shoes for each outfit and I would have found it very hard to fit all that I needed into a 20kg limit. I think dressing up in new and different clothes is all part of the holiday for many people.

Now my holidays are more often than not touring holidays where I am often only 1 or 2 nights in each hotel least is best and lugging a great heavy case about would try my patience(and my back) and I have learned to travel extremely lightly. Even when we did a 5week round the world trip a few years ago we only took one medium and one small suitcase between OH and myself, the small one weighed 12Kg and the medium 17KG. On some of my short city trips I only take handluggage and don't seem to have a problem.
I do take a bit more with me when I take the odd resort holiday now but travelling light has become second nature.
You obviously don't understand women Wizard

on the contrary.. i completely understand ""I WANT therefore I THINK I NEED"" women don't understand YOU ONLY ACTUALLY NEED

yasus
Mari, trust me, you won't wear half the clothes you take to mexico, we only had 15 kg's each for our 2 week trip to mexico AND we were renewing our vow's, so had 'special' out fits to take and in the end, mine was only about 13 kg, hubbies 14kg and our daughters was 11kgs, I never once thought 'i wish i'd packed that'. You can get everything you need in mexico too, from your toiletries to new clothes, but i lived in my flipflops and bikin's by day and swapped and changed my outfits at night.
I'd spend your £30 in mexico :tup
And do consider the weight of your cases/holdalls! They can add a significant amount before you even start to put anything inside them!
Mari, I admit I am a terrible panicker over luggage allowance but we have had both 15kg and 20kg allowance for 2 weeks. Our suitcases have weighed in between 11-16kg and I pack in full size toiletries, suncreams etc. I weigh before going to the airport to ease my mind and it's amazing how heavy you think they are compared to what the weight really is.
mari
You don't say who you are flying with but bear in mind baggage handlers have restrictions on how much they will lift. This varies by airline.
If you do run short, there is also the hotel laundry facilties. We use these quite often (to be more accurate hubby does :yikes )
BAA airports restrict bags to 32kg which is their manual handling limit, despite what the airlines say, I suspect their limits are to do with fuel required.
don't know if this is enough or should pay £30 each for 25kg.

Bearing in mind that the maximum weight allowed of any piece of luggage is 23kg. Where do you put the other 2?

fwh
Bearing in mind that the maximum weight allowed of any piece of luggage is 23kg

I don't want to be contentious and could be mega-wrong but as far as weight-lifting by baggage handlers is concerned I believe the torture point ends at 32 kg per piece, and anything over 23 kg is marked HEAVY.

And I still think it's important that you weigh your baggage empty before packing to get the real indication of how much you can put in it without paying an excess supplement ... usually as hefty as the full baggage itself! :cry
It depends on the airline. Thomsons won't lift over 23kg. Thos Cook over 30kg. The maximum limit is 32kg. but not airlines allow it.
I never thought in a million years I would manage with 15kg luggage, but I did, I have and I do! To be honest, I always took far too much for me and daughter (hubby always suffered ;) ) but when we were only given 15kg for a villa holiday that someone else booked and paid for, I had to seriously rethink. Did I really need to take those 5 pairs of flip flops when maybe 2 or 3 would suffice? Did I really need a clean outfit for every day we were there? Did I really need to take double the amount of underwear? Etc etc :que . I really did think about it. The way I get around it is putting everything I think I would take out on the bed then half it. I then go through what is left and take out a little bit more. It really does work :)

Now, even if we have a full 20kg luggage allowance I always take around 15kg which always leaves me enough space for any bits that we bring back.
My friend is marvellous at packing. She has 14 set of underwear, 7 bikinis, a different outfit for every evening, 7 beach coverups, beach towel, shorts, tops, flipflops, 4 pairs of shoes, makeup, spf, toiletries, hairdryer etc. Her other half has 14 shirts :yikes 7 pairs of trousers, 14 undercrackers, shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, bout 3 pairs birkenstock sandals, shoes etc.
Between them cases weigh about 35 kg.
My excess will be going in her case this time :rofl
I'm hopeless at packing, i'm one of the i might need brigade, last year tho i did cut down on the amount of pairs of shoes i took and managed. This year we only had 15kg of luggage so paid for the extra 5kg just to be on the safe side , i have all good intentions of downsizing my clothes , but at home i would not and do not wear the same item of clothing twice without it being washed , and cant bear the thought of doing that on hols .
20 kg isn't enough for me, although this year I am absolutely determined no to take anywhere near as much as I usually do. that will make my husband happy ;)
The last two holidays, we've all taken less than 10kg each, and this year, we are going for carry on bags only (on Easyjet) :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.