General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
How much do malaria tablets cost? Is it cheaper to get them from the chemist or do you have to see the doctor for them?
A good source for advice on malarial areas is
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/.
It gives maps for countries that have high risk areas.
Also gives advice on other immunisations required
Micky
we had to do this for our next trip and as I was at the Doc I asked.

his response was that the chemist always had an up to date list of what was needed where and so to go to the chemist.

We paid under £4 for the 2 of us so definitely cheaper than the doc!
I have been assured they do work but if I catch Malaria I will let the forum know!
http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk is an excellent site for advice on what you need to take when to take them, child doses etc etc

It also has a very informative page on Malaria.

Be healthy and enjoy

Scubaman
Hi there.
Can anyone tell me how bad the malaria tablets Malarone taste. I have 2 kids (9 + 2) that will be taking them and I hope to hide them in something like jam/chocolate spread. Will I be able to disguise the taste or is it just too bad to hide!?
Also how bad are lariums side effects and taste?? (one for us adults).
Thanks
Are they not just swallowed whole, in which case they won't taste, or do they have to be chewed?
HI. No I will have to crush them as they cant swallow them whole.
Larium are swallowed whole, they are quite small. As for side effects, that varies from person to person. Like all medication you won't know if you're going to suffer any side effects until you try them. If you do suffer from any side effects which you can't tolerate, see your Doctor as there are plenty of alternatives, though Larium is the most effective, and the preferred anti-malarial medication for high risk zones.

As you have to start taking Larium before you travel (three weeks I think), to build up immunity, it will allow you to find out if you are going to suffer side effects from this drug, and get changed onto something else before you travel.
Hi Micky,

Before crushing any tablet/pill/capsule and putting it in food I'd check with a pharmacist. Some medication has to be swallowed whole - especially any which is designed to be slow release so that your system isn't overwhelmed in one go. This particulary applies with antibiotics which are designed so that within the capsule there smaller sub-particles which have different coatings on them which are broken down at different rates within your stomach so you get a slow, drip-feed affect into you system rather than a one-off large dose which all enters your bloodstream at the same time. But it's not only antibiotics that this sometimes applies to so do check that you won't be reducing the affectiveness of the treatment before crushing a tablet and adding it to food.

SM
HI. I mentioned to the pharmasist (that is in the doctors) about crushing the pediatric malarone as it is the only way my 2 yr old would take it and she didnt advise me not to do this. I will double check and make sure they know fully what I plan to do. I dont know how else to get her to take them otherwise.
Hi Micky

I asked my wife ( who is a Phamacist ) about this and she promised to check out the facts. Here is her E-mailed response :

"Have spoken to GSK who make drug and it is ok to crush and give with food"

So thats one less worry !

Scubaman
Thanks Scubaman. I spoke to the travel clinic yesterday and they too said that was ok. I really think that tour companies should warn people about different things like medication, visas etc when you go to book a holiday. To be honest if we had known our "cheap" holiday had all these hidden extras and the worry of medication as well as expence we wouldnt have booked to go to Kenya. Never mind, you live and learn.
Thanks again.
Can anybody tell me .... where is the cheapest place in UK to buy Malarone?? Son off on safari to Kenya...has heard that Tescos do a good deal...anybody know?? Thank you!!!
best thing to do is ring around, suerdrug, boots, tesco, asda, sainsburys. To see which is the cheapest.. :D
Does anyone know if you can buy Malaria Tablets in liquid form for children to use. We have children travelling with us, that can't swallow tablets. The taste revolting if you get one stuck at the back of your throat,
We are travelling to DR, so this might have a bearing on the brand or type we would need.
Hi lppwrth ... I have merged your enquiry with this existing 2 page topic. Hopefully you may now find some useful info in earlier posts.

David :wave
Hi Ippwrth,

Yes there is a Nivaquine Syrup which is 50mg Chloroquine per 5ml.

Nivaquine is an alternative to Avlochlor ( which many report as tasting foul ) - we have taken Nivaquine tablets on 8 trips to the Caribbean and never found that they taste at all.

Scubaman
Thanks Scub, I thought I would ask on here as I don't like negative answers. What I mean is, asked the pharmacist in our local Superdrug and was told that I is not available in liquid form. I was sure I'd read about it on one of the forums.........so well done, HT is such a source of useful information.
Lorraine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.