Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
P&C made me feel rough so i'm hoping i'll be ok with Malarone. For the extra £30 its worth it IMO.
PandC giving me stomach spasms for three weeks now. Doctor said i had better finsh the course due to receiving four bites. Hating it though. Never again!!!
My Mum has just told me that the doxycycline tablets they are taking are making her feel very sick, epsecially in the morning.

She said it says you do not need to take them with food, but shes found it helps a lot if you take with food as it doesnt make you feel as sick.

Also she said to avoid lying down for 30mins after taking the tablet, and to avoid eating meat 2 hours BEFORE and AFTER taking the tablet.

She also said her doctor said to avoid taking indigestion remedies at the same time as the doxycycline, and to avoid Zinc.

This is all what she got told off her doctor, so i think its worth while listening.
All medicines come with risks and side affect information, if we all read up on them we would not take medication (and I do mean all meds), the manufacturer's are duty bound to put this information out.

I personally have not encountered any side affects in the taking of Doxycyline but as previously stated we are all not made the same, but if the Doxycyline do not agree with certain people there is the the alternative of Malarone I would personally not go without protection against the malaria infection...jxk8
many people make themselves ill due to reading the side affects and worring themselves, most people have been to goa before and know what its like, us personally and by us i mean my family and our friends from here and around over 30 in total alluse the chemist and buy the local stuff never been ill or anything on the side affect way, so us will keep doing what we do drink lots and lots of liquids (gin n tonics) use odi mos, use the local sun lotion and alovera as after sun take the once a week mal tablets. and have a bloody good holiday after all we are paying for it
Trying to catch up with anti-malarials and decide which to take ... so Stavros - which are the "once a week mal tablets"? Larium? And did you get them in the UK or in Goa? And what is 'odi mos'? Something you buy locally in Goa? Sory - haven't grasped all of the abbreviations yet.
i buy local tablet from chemist just past ruffles, in candolim but all chemist in gao sell them, chloroquin and prog something or other, odimos is the only mossi bite repelant that works for us we never been bite since using it ( touch wood) buy that from bruno shop just past chandra jewlers, sun tan lotions and alovera from brunos also the chloroquim and progonol not sure how you spell but cost a fortune here and is pennies there
1.00 per fortnight works out at.
I got my garlic capsules today. One month before my holidays I always start on them. They really work. Before, I honestly could be covered in bites- and we are talking 20 bites in each leg. Nowadays- its a rogue bite if I'm unlucky- or if I forget to use mossie wipes before going out. :(
Thanks for the advice Stavros!! My only problem is that I am supposed to take the P&C one week before entering the country. I guess I could pinch some of my girlfriend's but she may not be convinced that replacing them with ones bought in India are the same. Maybe Boots will sell me one week's worth.

We still don't have our visa's yet and our flights are next Monday!! I know we took a risk booking late without visas ...but I am trying not to buy things until I have the Visas - like insurance.

And thanks for the tip on garlic Fiona - but again I don't have time to do a month of that before we go.
Hi guys, going a week today and struggling to get insect repellant cheap. when I get to Goa (Baga), how cheap are the repellents with DEET and what brand should I look out for?
Don`t skimp on insect repellent, some people swear by odomos which is bought very cheaply in Goa, for me it doesn`t work, buy some of this from Boots Chemist, it is really good stuff and 50% deet http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1022187&classificationid=1016591 :tup
buy it at the shops in india its very cheap odimos is the one we all use and its always served us well. and then we just buy them curly wirly things light one when we go out in room and does us fine they cost pennies not sure of prices as i dont check but i would say for a fortnight supply of both less than a fiver.
stuff we have taken from here in uk an dafrica only served to get us bitten. i drink tonic water some say that helps also i dont know. plus we dont go and drown ourselves in aftershave and perfume i think that gets you bitten also.
Thankyou feelthevibe went online and bought some, much cheaper than the one i used last time. :tup
I used all at once :-Jungle DEET, Odomos, Goodnight stuff (green bottle) and Avon skin so soft, always asked for coils under tables....still got bloody bit :think
You must have tasty blood! Just purchased some Boots "Repel, Insect Repellent Spray" Tropical Strenght 50% deet see how we get on.

Didn't get bitten once last year and just used the local stuff which had citronela (spl?) in it.
For the cheapest highstreet 50% DEET - I think it's Tescos Extra Strength Insect Repellent £4.99 for 125ML but it only seems to be available in aerosol.
On Fiona's recommendation I bought some garlic capsules today and have started to take them. Let's hope they do keep the little blighters at bay, and that I don't end up stinking because of them!! :rofl Going to start on anti-histamine also, that way if I do get bitten hopefully I won't react so violently as I did at Christmas!

Now just have to invest in some insect repellant and I'm all set :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.