Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Check out Goan Voice UK issue of 1 Feb 2008 for a link to a new report in a medical journal entitled: Continuing importation of falciparum malaria from Goa into Europe

Martins
Just got off the phone from Lloydspharmacy. The Malaron tables are £72 for a three week supply.

Can I get malaron in Goa? Also is there anywhere cheaper that I can get it?
mardon,
if you have read my previous post you will know my feelings on price & health, please do not compromise with your health, get the docs and get the right medication, read my posts to see why my wife and I took the drug Doxycycline with no, I repeat no side affects, the cost again £21-60 for the both of us, this for our three week visit.

So get the docs and get sorted.....jxk8
I am perhaps a bit of worrier but I would have to say that I would not leave till I get to Goa to sort out my malaria treatment. That's just me though.
Hi
i will ask her what she was tablets she was on no problem and what strain she had and will let you know asap
Nicola
mardon try travelpharm.com i got paludrine/avloclor from them and they were only £12.60 delivered post free. i received them within 2 days of ordering.i think you have to send them a copy of your prescription though.
Doesnt Doxycycline make you extra sensetive to sunlight? I will be spending a lot of time in the sun :D
I herd malaron doesn't do this. I will definately take some tablets though.
mardon,
as I said last post quote, I took the drug Doxycycline with no, I repeat no side affects.

The thing that seems strange to me, is that one of the things this drug is made for is the protection against malaria, and where mostly does malaria occur in hot climes (sunshine)?? strange but true, and mardon I spent most days basking in the sun from morn till dusk.

But mardon seriously get yourself sorted before you go and that go's for all who is going this season

TAKE CARE ALL AND ENJOY YOUR HOLS....jxk8
im going to Goa in April and i am really confused about what tablets to take. I went into Boots and was first told I didn't need any anti malarial tablets and then when I queried this she said it was under review so couldn't advise me what to take. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out if i do need to take anything.
You 100% do need to take anti malarial's Its just choosing the correct one. Doxycycline is cheaper so i'm going to go for that. Just make sure I keep the lotion topped up!
7 of us took Doxy with no sensitivity to the sun and it did protect (as our chemist had said it would ) against Deli Belly :tup however after we got home (about week 2) I had to stop taking it as I just vomited it up as soon as, or about 5mins after I had taken it :que My friend and my OH also suffered with extremely bad heartburn (once again only after we got home) I got a few bites, but was wondering what my protection levels would be as I stopped after 4 weeks :think
Lots of mozzies about this year! Couple of Goans that we know have had malaria last October too! We took the malarone tablets with NO ill effects whatsoever! We never normally get bitten at all..but this year..between 7 and 8 in the evening some places were swarming..and even though we used Deet spray too we still got some bites!!
guys, my fiance doesnt want to get tablets before we go. Can we get them in Calangute as soon as we get there (the resort) and is this advisable. He said he would just risk it, but i guess something is better than nothing?
superking,
you should be advised by your doctor to be taking the anti malaria tabs a few days before you go.

There has been a greater risk in the contracting of malaria this season, (this has been stated in a local news item, which I read prior to my wife and I going in Dec/Jan this season.

Please read my previous post on the medication that I and my wife took, as some of the people on the site have different opinions on the medication thats best for them (and quite rightly so)...jxk8
To save a few £££'s I wouldn't risk it. I quite like my liver and spleen in there non virus ridden state :D
decided, going to get the paludrine/avlocor ones. £13 per person. Dont want to risk getting ill :) BTW, if anyone knows where they can get them cheaper online or in a chemist, any help will be grateful. I live in Manchester
Try travel pharmacy (online shop). They were cheapest for malarone (that I could find).

Decided to get mine from the Morrisons Pharmacy for £53 in the end. A damn site cheaper than the £73 that lloyds were asking!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.