Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I think it cost us about £12 for two of us for 5 or 6 weeks supply. They sold them per tablet. We did have some left from our visit to Kerala a few months before but we did buy enough to finish the course off and a weeks supply before we go out this time in March.
Hi! We bought both proguanil and chloroquine in the chemist at Candolim in April last year. Just checked the prices printed on the blister packs and we paid 55 rupees for a pack of 10 proguinil and it looks like 5.70 rupees for a pack of 5 chloroquine. I know it's much cheaper than buying them here. Hope this helps.
Jayne :tup
thankyou bren/liz and Jay I will get some when we get to goa I know one thing Jay they cost £17 ..in boots ...colleen
and its £12 in Superdrug and £15.50 in Asda.

You get 98 prog and 14 chlor which is the course - 1 week before - during 2 weeks there and 4 weeks after (need two standard packs from UK if youe there for 3 weeks!!!!!!

550 rupees for the prog 210 rupees for the chlor so

710 rupees/£9.31 for the same thing.

If i have done my calculations correctly - would rather pay the extra £3. You will need to get one pack here anyway.

I like taking the tabs. Its like an advent calendar for the Holiday. I reckon thats why Chloriquine has went out of favour.

Last year we felt ill on the first consumption. We did it with food after and it was fine. Don't have Malaria as well which is nice!!
Hi damo322. I agree that the tablets have to be started before you go so one packet should be purchased over here, but it's definetely worth buying any more that a group/couple need whilst in Goa.
I think you misread my price for the chlor, they were less than 6 rupees for a pack of 5. That's only 18 rupees for 7 weeks supply. Added to 550 for the prog , that makes 568 rupees (about £7.47) for an entire course. I always buy enough to start me off for the next years holiday in Goa. Can buy a fair few honeybees with the money saved!!! :glynis
Jayne
My son starts his malarone tablets today because we go in 2 days.

I am not looking forward to making him take the tablet each day.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get him to take it?

My parents said just give him his favourite juice when hes thirsty and say take this tablet, if you dont you cant go on holiday.

I dont think this will work, because you cant expect a 4 year old to swallow a tablet whole.

On the instructions it says to swallow it whole, but if you can't then crush it.
Maybe you could crush the tablet and mix it in with some fruit puree that comes in the little jars? I know there are ones like pear puree (tastes very nice actually, my niece is given it with her medication).
Thanks , i was thinking maybe a milkshake? but your idea sounds like it could work.
Yes I am sure a milkshake would work as well. My sister uses a couple of spoonfulls of the fruit puree and mixes it all together and because the puree is thick the medication disappears inside it and there is no sour tastes just the sweet taste of the pears.
I agree Jayne. Your memory is better than mine re prices! We always buy enough to start us off before our next trip. You definately save a lot of money buying them over there, especially when buying for more than one person.
If only they tasted like calpol, id have no problems then.
He absolutely loves calpol, hes always trying to get into the medicine cabinet :think , but mummys got the key for it haha
Yes they do like the taste of calpol
So have you given him the malarone yet and if so how did you get on?
No, hes at school, so im going to give it to him when he has his evening meal.

I hope it goes down well :think
Good luck, let me know how you get on later. I am sure it will be fine :)
I couldnt find any of that fruit stuff so i had to settle for that chocolate sauce which you put on icecream :think , the tablet was hard to crush, so maybe tomorrow i might try to get him to swallow it whole.

I got it down him, just had to put more chocolate sauce into his mouth after he had the first spoonful.
I think he knew it was a trick, because he said that isnt chocolate sauce, what have you done to it :rofl
Awww bless, but as long as he took it thats the main thing. I know Tesco sell those little jars of pear puree but I am sure you could probably disguise it well in a nice flavoured milk shake. Good luck ;)
I went to asda and couldnt find it, i dont really like letting him have that chocolate sauce :(
Nevermind, il try it with a milkshake this evening

Nicola
Emailed the chemist in Calangute.

They have prog and chlor and there is no present cases of Malaria.
damo322,
see below an extract from the HERALD, allbeit this info was gathered last year, your not trying to say there is no cases of malaria in Goa at present, one good thing I pick up from your last post is that you are at least seeking some protection, I wish you a good and safe holiday, prevention I say is better than cure "HAVE A GOOD ONE"

edited due to copyright.Perhaps you could summarise in your own words
Fiona ht mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.