Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Yummymummy, the only repellant I could find in Goa at Christmas was the herbal sort. I've no doubt that somewhere in Calungute/Candolim you can purchase a DEET based one, but when I asked in several places they did not seem to understand. I decided that the next trip I make I'll make sure I bring some from the UK.

In terms of sprays for the room you can get these easily at the supermarkets.
Does anyone know if they sell the Jungle Formula sprays at Heathrow airport? I've just ordered a plug in and jungle formula wipes from Ebay - tip - Suntastic are the cheaper sellers on there for these 2! I don't want to risk getting to Goa and not being able to get spray with any Deet in it. None of the shops seem to sell it this time of year :-/
Superdrug and Boots sell it all year round, I always look for it when it's on special offer, also if you have a Savers store near it's cheaper in there.
bunny, my local chemist had Jungle Formula but it was "put away" as it was the wrong time of year! :que
I've tried 3 different boots /superdrugs and none have anything, well only the cheaper make roll ons that i already have! nothing containing deet! I'm gonna go down to the local town now in my lunch hour and try again hoping that as it's now after Christmas they might be thinking 'Holiday season' again lol!!
I am really annoyed, my doctors surgery is a waste of time.

This last 2 weeks i have been back and forth to the doctors getting our holiday jab perscriptions.

Finally managed to get the nurse to issue the perscriptions, she never seems to be available.

I picked them up on Tues (2 days ago) , went to the pharmacy with mine and my sons, it turns out the nurse has put the wrong thing for me, so i got my sons perscription and booked an appointment for the nurse to give it to him for today, but shes off sick until next week!!
So i changed the date to next Tues, and we go to Goa 2 days later, talk about leaving it at short notice.

I had to get the pharmacist to go in to the doctors and tell the doctor who just happened to be in the receptionist part , so she changed it for me.
Superdrug finally have their Jungle Formula back in stock so got what I needed there. For anyone needing more than 1 or 2 things though I'd advise getting them online thro Ebay as their literally half the price on there!
O.H. had to have typhoid jab redone today. He told the nurse about him now not going to be taking Malarone because of being on warfarin. She then got a map out - the WHOLE of Goa was red - malaria warning! She said if he started them NOW...and had a blood test before he went away to check the INR..if it hadn't changed...he wouldn't need another blood test in India.

The nurse rang the Malaria place in London. It is only Malarone that has proguanil AND ATOVAQUONE. P & C ..as in Avloclor do NOT have the protection against Plasmodium Falciparium - which is what you need!

http://www.malaria-reference.co.uk have a read here.

I rung http://www.travelpharm.com and reinstated his prescription. We needed at least 6 or 7 more tablets for him to start taking NOW. LUCKILY son checked at his house..and he had 14 Malarone tablets :tup expiry 2010...so O.H. has started them today.

(I've tried deleting the http:// before these links..but it won't let me :( = when I click on the malaria link it shows Page Will Not Be Displayed. Just take the http:// off and it will work!)
  • Edited by MarkJ 2008-01-17 15:18:15
    Changed website address because of wrong spelling (maleria)
Pam - have edited your post as your spelled maleria as melaria ;)

Mark :)
:rofl Cheers Mark! That'll learn me to type too fast! LOL! xxx

;) Yep..you're right..the link works now! LOL!
That makes two of us then as I still spelled the bleeding word wrong :rofl
Better off out of this Goa forum.

Mark :)
I am sure Boots at Gatwick Airport sell all the jungle formulas as well.
I've always found that Boots at Gatwick and Heathrow stock their Deet based products all year round as well as the Jungle Formula.
In November Boots Heathrow Terminal 4 has their Deet-based range in lotion, roll-on, spray and wipes forms.
They also now have a range of repellant wrist and ankle bands.

The repellant coils that you burn and the plug-in types are widely available in Goa.

Geoff
damo322,
I personally do not take "RISKS" with mine or my wife's life.

"Fact" German tourist died this year in Goa "Malaria" I don't want you or the next person visiting Goa be the next statistic how great or small the risk.......jxk8.
As I see it, we all want to be safe and malaria free, yes?

From a leaflet the nurse gave us today...

http://www.malariahotspots.co.uk
http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk
http://www.who.int/ith/

How Effective Is it?

Malarone = 95% - 100%
Doxycycline Vibramycin = 90£
Mefloquine Lariam = 90%
Chloroguine/proguanil Paludrine/Avioclor = Effective in Chloroquine sensitive areas of the world only.

Malarone - Take with food or a milky drink at the same time each day. Repeat a dose if you vomit within 1 hr.

Doxycyline Vibramcyn - Take with a full glass of water after a meal and stay upright ( ;) ) for at least half an hour. May make you more susceptible to sunburn, use a high factor sun cream , if a skin rash occurs consult your doctor. May reduce efficiency of combined oral contraceptinve pill/patch, use extra precautions for 3 weeks. May cause vaginal thrush. Alcohol may decrease the effectiveness.

Meflorquine Lariam - The tablets should be swallowed whole, preferably after a meal with plenty of liquid. It is advisable to avoid pregnancy for 3 months after completing the course.

Chloroquine/proguanil Paludrine/ Avloclor - The exact areas in which you are travelling to must still be sensitive to chloroguine. If appropriate, ensure you have the rabies vaccine before you start taking chloroquine.
did you manage to get your prescriptions free pam.

or did you get all tablets on one prescription.

last week i went to see the nurse and i asked for malarone, and the nurse asked me why.
i went into the malaria talk, and how it is now high risk in goa etc, and i'd read up and the malarone was the better tablet.

And guess what

the doctor said i was the 1st person who'd asked for these tablets. And she rates them very high.
She said people are happy to spend £5000 on a holiday, but don't want to spend £50 on malaria tablets for there health.

Well i got mine and i've sent the prescriptions off and am waiting for them to come back.

As for the tropical spray with deet 50% bodycare the chemist have it for £4.29 or tesco do there own brand for £4.99 again 50% deet.
:tup Yep Chris! He put them on two prescriptions....I felt obliged to say 'How much do we owe you?'...and he just smiled and said 'you're not getting them from us.....so if I were you I'd just walk out the building!' :D :D

Bonus that we found out today that James had 14 tablets!! So O.H. has started taking them today.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.