Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I am sure Gramps posted to say that Malarone wasnt available in Goa, he checked in November, I could be wrong of course, but I am sure he put in a posting to that effect.
See GlaxoSmithKline are in on the action and doing what they do best.

"Take our product or you will suffer"
Supported with a few nightmare stories to heighten paranoia (which if you get paranoia, by the way, it was beacuse you did not take Malarone and was a side affect to the other drug :wink: )
I am very suspicious of Malarone being another gimmick version of what is already available. Of course the rest won't work

I would stick to what all websites and GP's recommend - Chloriquine(which appears to be useless but its comes in the pack so what the hell!) and proguanil. Still on the fence as to whether i will be taking them. Kept a card with number for the Calungute pharmacy. They know their stuff and will be able to inform me - HONESTLY.

I suffer bad with bites and highly recommend Good Knight. I think i had two bites last year. Both of which were eased with some Tiger balm. Man i love Tiger balm
Hi yummymummy,
Just got back and we stayexd at the riverside over the bridge, We used the chemist opp The ronil and next to barets bar which is on the corner off tito lane hope you know where it is with this info, We also got our tabs from there when we arrived he was very good and told us what we should be takin they cost only a few rupies we also brought our mozzie spray there too.

Pip
x
:pele
Thanks Pip (Walks) , we land at the airport at 6am, so by the time we get to the hotel it should be around 8am, then we're going to have some breakfast and get a taxi to the nearest chemist then to the beach :D
We never have any sleep when we first arrive at Goa, as we like to wait until night, so our sleeping patterns are normal for Goa lol
Hi
Which is the best tablets to take, whilst staying in candolim.

proquanil and chloroquine

or

malarone

and i would be using spray with deet, skin so soft, bug coils etc infact everything i can think of.
WickedChris - there is no 'best' malaria tablet to take, thats what my doctor told me.
He said all the malaria tablets are suitable, and its down to personal choice.

Malarone is quite expensive, but is considered to be the one with the least side effects.

Personally, ive never had any problems taking P and C, as long as you take them with meals. But it does get annoying taking them every single day for 7 weeks, thats if you go for a 2 week holiday
hubbys doctor has recommemded malarone, so we'll go with that

but thanks
my doctor to has recommended Malarone

23 tablets for £48

worth it
I am not taking any this time. I have always felt bad when I have taken them before
Bob, in the past when you took the tablets did you take them with meals?
Ive found that if you take them with food you will be fine, but when you take them on an empty stomach thats when the sickly feeing starts to kick in.

Why don't you ask at a chemist in Goa, see if they recommend different malaria tablets?
We always take them at bed time. So if you feel a bit rubbish its during the night and you wake up in the morning feel fine again :D
The proguanul and chlorlquine (Avloclor) do NOT protect from plasmodium falciparium (try saying that after a few honeybees! :wink: )...which I've read is a high risk in Goa now. We would take them with our breakfast..and they still made us feel ill, which is why we stopped and never bothered again. However, because the risk is higher this time we'll be taking the Malarone...but the price we've been quoted from the doctor is much higher than W.Chris :shock: I'll make an appointment tomorrow and see what he'll charge for the pair of us :wink:
i am VERY confused on the matter, i thought chlorlquine does not protect against one particular strain, but it does if you take proguanul in conjunction.

:roll:
Decided to buy my sons malarone tablets from travelpharm for 18pounds, and to buy myself and my partners tablets in Goa.
We are going to buy the weekly tablets called quinarsol 300, are these widely available in North Goa?
£18 ! How many tablets did you get ? I have checked out the website but they don't show their prices. I have just bought 23 tablets ( enough for 2 weeks) at a cost of just over £50. Another chemist wanted £70.
yes, it is 18pounds. Its the child malarone, not the adult malarone

Nicola

On travelpharm it says take one for 2 days before you go, everyday whilst your there, eg 14 nights, and then a week when you get back.

I priced the junior tablets and they came out at 18pounds for 25 tablets .

The adult malarone do seem to be about double, so thats why im leaving mine until we get to goa, and just going to buy the local weekly tablets out there
I use 'Quinine Sulphate' tabs. Brand name is Qinarsol-300. 53 rps for 10 tabs. Take one per week.

I have asked about this on another forum, and it seems it doesnt actually PROTECT against malaria, but is used to TREAT malaria.

The information is from netdoctor.

So, with this information, does any have any idea as to what other tablets are available in Goa, that actually PROTECT against malaria?
Is there any up to date info on malaria in Goa. The most up to date i can see is Oct 07. Not educated too much on the life expectancy of a mozzie but i would imagine those ones are all dead :)
Damo, id imagine that malaria still poses a risk to people in Goa, the health advice on various websites havent changed, so im presuming there is still a risk.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

Nicola
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.