Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Please could someone tell us where is better to get these from, either Goa or here - insect repellant and which ones, plug-ins, and anti-bacterial gel or handwipes, and is the Avon dry oil spray what i need as well?

Sorry to be a pain but its our first time to Goa and can't wait now 27th jan staying in Candolim.

Have got Malarone prescription from Drs so where is best pharmacy to get these from as I know they are very expensive.

Thanks for any help all of you regulars to Goa can give me.
I would buy them all from a chemist in Goa, I just got back from Calangute last week and the chemists are so cheap.

Plug in and tablets for it will cost less than a pound. Good Knight I think they are called, you can also buy the coils very cheap over there.

Insect spray is around £1.30

Never bought hand wipes etc so not sure on that.

You can also buy Malaria tables very cheap compared to what we pay here, so I'd visit the chemist in Candolim when you arrive and stock up.
I usually take Jungle Formula insect repellent with me but some people swear by `Odomos` which can be bought in Goa very cheaply but doesn`t seem to work for me, I also take my own bacterial handwash, it is about a £1 from superdrug.
I never buy insect repellent and sun cream in the UK, i always buy from Goa.
As for anti malaria tablets, we always buy in the UK, im not sure how buying them in Goa will work, because i thought you need to take them a week before you go?
You can buy the anti-bacterial hand gel from Boots, Superdrug, Wilkinsons etc.

The Avon Skin-So-Soft spray is Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray (the green one).
I use this in addition to a proper mozzie repellent.

Polly
HI

we was told by a chemist that you only take them the wk before to see if you have any side effects!! So really you could wait and buy them there like we did hope this is off some help, Needless to say we had no side effects from the last time that we took them.

Pip
x
ilove holidays i'm sure you can't get malerone in goa my son had them from our local chemist and had to pay £81 so they are pretty expensive.
Thanks Walks, i think i might do that, and wait until we get to Goa.

But im still a bit warey, what if we got bit on the way to the hotel from the airport? :shock:
I think you are better off not taking malaria tablets these days as the risk is very low.

I've been 7 times to India and took them the first 2 times but never since with no ill effects at all.
We take Mefloc just 1 a week no problems,buy them in Goa.
ann
I think you are better off not taking malaria tablets these days as the risk is very low.

:shock: A low risk is still a risk ! better be safe than sorry in my view.

Cheers :wink:

Pill poppin Rog
Totally agree with okitsme. One bite can be fatal. We take enough risks in life so for a few pounds its not worth it.
Hiya,

yes i agree you really do need to take some risks are high at the moment, I give my self a good spray before going on the plane and then again when we land so it protects me (fingers crossed) Then take them the day we get there.

pip
x
Best pharmacy, with knowledable staff, is the Union Pharmacy in Mapusa, opposite where all the taxis park, on the corner. Downstairs is the regular pharmacy, upstairs is homeopathic and ayurvedic plus beauty products and animal related medicines and products.
I use the mozzie spray with Avon skin so soft like Polly and I avoid wearing perfume. I also do not take malaria tablets its nothing to do with saving a few £s but to save the excrutiating pains they give me which would make it pointless me going on holiday in the first place.
Jackie
Yummymummy - bring some tabs back with you they will keep in the fridge for 12 months - no probs.
Does anyone know if these are sold in Goa itself? Im staying in Baga and heard that insect repellents are far cheaper over there, but just wondering if the plug ins are available, i cant find them in any shops here, only online, just dont want to get out there and find nowhere sells them....
Also are the insect repellents any good out there? ie do they contain deet etc? Again not sure whether to pay more and buy online or just wait til i get there, advise please :?:
Yummymummy - bring some tabs back with you they will keep in the fridge for 12 months - no probs.

Thanks Spike, i will definetly be doing that when we go in 2 weeks.
I think we are trying December end of this year, so will be in the next 12 months
We are staying in Baga near Baga river, does anyone know a decent chemist nearby that we can get sorted for malaria tablets?
Also, what sort of tablets do we ask for?
We will have our 4 year old son with us as well, will they sort him out with the correct tablets for his age and weight, or should i get his in the UK.

Personally speaking, i think im going to get his tablets here in the UK.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.