America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi and welcome to HT!

I don't know about pre-paid cash cards, but I believe people have had problems withdrawing money in Canada using ordinary bank debit cards.

luci :wave
You've left it a bit late for the optimum solutions - which involve opening new bank accounts. If you have easy access to London a Metro Bank account can be opened on the spot - you get a debit card that charges no fees/loading.

Unless those TCs are in CAN$$ - don't bother. Sterling ones may be difficult and certainly expensive to exchange.

The money passports are at worse about the same as TCs and at best a lot better. The Travelex Global one is good at the moment - low fees. Order online and pick up at a travelex shop. Fairfx and caxton fx are also good but take time to arrive.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/ has loads of information
Im looking at the Travelex one and it doesnt seem to offer TCs in candian so if i ordered a Cash Passport Currency Card from them in canadian dollors you think that will be better than getting TCs from the high street bank? I dont live near a city. How is any unused money on the card reverted back to pounds?
Do you know anything about the fees at canadian ATMs? I know theres a $1.50 each time but not sure if theres more than that on top.
Thank you for your help.
I had in mind http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/cash-passport-globe.aspx which is in sterling and charges only 1.49% conversion fee when used in an ATM overseas - certainly better than TCs which bought on the High Street could easily be 5%

The ATM itself should only charge $1.50 if that's what it says it charges - it will be the same with any card and you can't really get away from it. Any other charges are down to the issuer of your card, not the ATM.

If you have a card in $CAN and don't spend it all then it's converted back to sterling at a (usually exceptionally) poor rate and maybe a fee.

What's wrong with using the debit card you already have with your own bank? Unless it's RBS/Natwest overall charges are going to be middle of the road.
Well my debit card is with Ulster Bank and the fees are,
2.25% of transaction amount. (min £2, max £5).
Plus an Exchange Rate Transaction Fee of 2.65% of transaction amount.

That seems like quite a bit when ill be pulling out maybe £2000.
luci HT Mod wrote:
Hi and welcome to HT!

I don't know about pre-paid cash cards, but I believe people have had problems withdrawing money in Canada using ordinary bank debit cards.

luci :wave

I am one of those people. My bank decided to freeze my debit card when I was in Toronto. Thier explanation was that Canada is one of the worst countries for plasic fraud! Luckily for me our son was also on holiday with us and we could access money from his account!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/savings-and-banking/article.html?in_article_id=488689&in_page_id=7
Well i bought a Travelex cash passport, lets hope it gets here in time. Thanks for all the help guys!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.