America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
If you don't want to use an ordinary debit card or credit card, I think the best thing is old fashioned travellers cheques in dollars. Although these are not much used in Europe any more, they are very useful in America. They can be used just like cash, even to pay for a burger lunch. They just take them and give you change in cash. (Sometimes they want to see your drivers licence or passport.) Plus they are safer than cash since you will be refunded if they are stolen.

These pre-paid travel cards are a bit of an oddity and I suspect might be regarded with suspicion, since they will be unfamiliar with them.
Thanks for that the only reason I'm asking is because if you have a credit/debit card they allow you to charge everything to your room and pay at the end in one lump sum and also since I have nearly a year I was going to pay in so much a month to the card to save up otherwise does anyone know if you can do the same thing but pay in t/cheques at the end of the trip or cash dollars?
Right, I see. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that they will expect you to register a credit card at check-in, to enable you to charge things to your room. This is what we have always done. So really, I think you will either have to get a credit card or else pay in cash/travellers cheques as you go along and not charge to the room. Maybe you could open a savings a/c at a bank or building society and pay money into that each month to save up. Nationwide is good for travel, as their debit and credit cards do not make a charge for foreign currency payments or withdrawals.
Although not the PO card -this comes from Farefx which does the same type of card -it may be useful for you as the same thing may apply to the PO card which should be accepted everywhere.

Use the FairFX Card on check-out, not check-in. Please be aware that if you use any debit or credit card when checking in to a hotel or hiring a car, that they typically process what is known as a pre-authorisation. No money is actually taken off your card at this point but funds are effectively ring-fenced on your card to cover them against non-payment and are therefore not available to spend. These pre-authorisations can be large and remain in force for some time, sometimes even after you've settled your account. Therefore, we recommend using a regular credit or debit card to "guarantee" transactions and only use the FairFX card when you actually settle an account.

7. ATM withdrawal Limits. You can make up to 3 ATM withdrawals per day and 10 over a 4 day period. If you exceed these limits the card gets locked for ATM usage. Therefore, we recommend paying where possible using your FairFX Currency Card rather than cash and to try to estimate your cash needs each day and make one ATM withdrawal. This will also lessen the effect of the ATM withdrawal fees.
used the fairfx card,on our trip to SF & florida,in oct & had no trouble using it at all.
constantly fairfx,was offering the best exchange rate,when we were putting dollars,onto it,as i used to check,out of curiousity.
travellers cheques,are not as popular,as they used to be,but are still widely accepted.
we found the card convenient,and would definately use one again,but maybe not the P.O one,as the rate,was always lower.
tracy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.