Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
I think that the person that you should really be angry with is the travel agent that you booked this with and not just Thomsons. When making a booking so far in advance they really should check these things for you or else warn you that that between booking and departure the conditions might change. No wonder the travel agent you booked with is being really co-operative - by getting so angry with Thomson, you've let them off the hook for a mistake that is down to them becasue they should have noticed that the 23kgs allowance was only guaranteed up until April 2011.

In your situation my strategy would be to insist that the TA pays for the extra 5kgs so that you can do as you originally planned, that is take one case containing 23kgs. The 2 cases issue is only a problem if you want to take full advantage of the additional 5 kgs allowance but if the TA pays so that you are getting what you thought you had origianlly booked than that seems fair enough to me.

SM
phyll wrote:
Oh and listen to this, i can pay for an extra 5kg but as the luggage handlers are only to lift 23kg and no more, i would have to ensure this extra paid for weight was distributed properly ,ie in 2 cases, or i would have to remove 2kgs from my case.

That 2kgs can be added to your hand luggage allowance or put in a seperate bag
That 2kgs can be added to your hand luggage allowance or put in a seperate bag

Afraid it can't be added to hand luggage allowance - already had that argument at check in ....they wouldn't allow it!!!Has to be spread over all the cases being checked in the hold.
No it can be added to hand luggage - clearly states that on the e-ticket and it's what we did when we travelled in September. Thomson check in at Manchester are fully aware of this and do allow it.

Quote - no single item should weigh more than 23kg. You can pack additional weight up to your individual allowance into a separate bag or into your hand luggage - end quote.
Quote - no single item should weigh more than 23kg. You can pack additional weight up to your individual allowance into a separate bag or into your hand luggage - end quote.

But hand luggage cannot weigh more than 5kg IN TOTAL (unless you are flying Premium or are staying in a Premier property when you are allowed 7kg)
At Gatwick one of our suitcases was over 23kg - we tried to take some heavier electrical items out and squeeze in our hand luggage - but the check in staff weighed the hand luggage and told us we couldn't because we would exceed the hand luggage allowance - we had to make space in one of the other hold cases which was under 23kg!!
It seems different airports have different rules. :que
I was told though that because you had paid for an extra 5kg and could only put 3kgs of that in your suitcase, you could then put the extra in your hand luggage - even though it made your allowance over.!
I guess they have to do that because they are charging you for an extra 5kg and a lot of the time you could only use 3kgs of that allowance?
denny.53 - suspect its worse than that -ie individual check in agents interpreting the "rules" differently !!! We haven't ever used M'cr but have used both Cardiff and Gatwick for holidays with Thomson 3 times in the past 12 months.On the latest holiday we had no checks made on hand luggage.... but the previous holiday every passenger's hand luggage was being weighed,and,if it looked oversize, measured with the gauge;and the holiday before that, we had the problem with our large suitcase being 1+ kgs overweight and had to rearrange our hold luggage.
I remember trying to get some clarity about luggage allowances from Thomson's website about a year ago when they changed the "rules" for Premier hotels- but at the time different pages contradicted each other! An email to Customer Services didn't improve the situation - I got two totally differing replies!!! :que
The trick I think, is to get just one lot of 5kgs and divide it between the 2 suitcases - giving both passengers 22.5kgs!
That works with Thomson - they still allow you to combine hold allowances in a "family" group :tup
Hey folks! Can we just remember that Phyll's original complaint was that according the eTicket, s/he's only got a luggage allowance of 20kgs and not the 23kgs s/he thought s/he was entitled to with a Premier Collection booking? S/he doesn't want to have pay to get the extra 5kgs and is seeking advice on how to make sure that either Thomson or the travel agent ensure that s/he gets what s/he thinks they'd already booked ie 23kgs in a single bag. Any advice to help her get that and which doesn't involve her/him having to pay anything extra for extra weight?

SM
SMa - I stand admonished :cry
...but since the OP hadn't reposted I assumed that they had followed your original advice and pressurised the TA into paying for the extra luggage allowance.
It was pretty clear on the Thomson website that the change for Premier hotels was happening - a lot of the subsequent confusion was because the info. being disseminated about luggage allowances for Premium Flight upgrades was misleading ...or just plain wrong!!!
phyll wrote:
Oh and listen to this, i can pay for an extra 5kg but as the luggage handlers are only to lift 23kg and no more, i would have to ensure this extra paid for weight was distributed properly ,ie in 2 cases, or i would have to remove 2kgs from my case.

The op does mention this problem!
Phyll,The brochure stating you would get 23kgs allowance must have been a 1st or 2nd edition as we were looking at Platinum hotels in Tunisia and noticed they had changed the allowance from 23kg to 20kg from this April.
I would love to go back but still have many happy memories from the Conrad which I am sure you have too. :tup
Have a lovely holiday anyway. :sun2
Yes i certainly have got super memories JTrip and cant wait to see what they have done to it, and thanks Sma for bringing it back to my topic :D
Phyll x
Recently went with Emirates to HongKong.
They give everyone at least 30Kg hold luggage plus 7kg carryon as standard.
I had to put two housebricks into my case to get it up to the limit.
:rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.