Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi,
We travelled with Qatar airways in December from Heathrow to Doha (stopped over at son's ) then from Doha to Bangkok.
Despite contacting them in the morning of our flights AND given our seat numbers, when we arrived at check in and about to be given our boarding passes, we were told the flight was full and we were not on it!!!!!
We were directed to wait in standby and protested against this.
After almost 1 hr (flight was delayed) we were told to check in as seats were available.
Can you believe a repeat scenario yet again......sorry, no seats for you!!!!!
By this time I knew we would miss our connection in Bangkok to Chiang Mai and asked them what they would do.
Eventually they offered seats to Muscat (with another airline) then on to Bangkok, being assured the flights were on time and we would make our connection........guess what........delayed!!!!!! We missed the connection and had to get next flight to Chiang Mai and pay extra.
My son was livid as he works with Qatar air college and he took up our case.
The result............we were given access to business lounge in Bangkok on return and upgraded to business class on flight to Doha where the service was exceptional!!!!
Imagine our surprise when we were flying back from Doha a few days later to Heathrow and just before we boarded, we were told we had been upgraded to business class yet again!!!!
I cannot fault them for this service and I must say, we were really looked after and I feel that this more than made up for our nightmare at the beginning.
Our son also received money off vouchers for Qatar airways as he is a regular flyer with them.
Pat
:glynis
We're flying from Manchester to Bangkok via Doha on 5 April. Just looking at Qatar's timetable, the Man-Doha leg states "change of equipment - all codes".

Does this mean that we could be flying with a different airline and if so, any ideas which one(s) codeshare with Qatar for this journey please?

Also, I presume we'll still be able to book our luggage straight through and not have to collect/re-check it in Doha? We only have 90 minutes between flights.

Thanks
Elaine
Your flight from Doha will be with Qatar Airways you will change planes not carrier.You will be able to check your baggage though.
Hi, can somebody help

I have just booked with Qatar Manchester to Bangkok the plane is Airbus Industrie A330-200 and I have booked row 29, the four middle seats. Does anybody know if this row has extra leg room and also if it is the emergency exit??
I have never had to connect to another flight before and was just wondering what happens if your first flight is delayed?? I have just 90 minutes to change planes once I land at Doha for my onward flight to Bangkok. Can anybody offer advice?

It was either this flight or having to wait in Doha airport for about 6 hours
Hi chr1s999
90mins is normally okay for Doha you will just go through transfers,please advise which flight you are arriving on from Manchester QR???.At present most flights leaving here are late,as for the row I will check for you tomorrow at work it also depends on the configeration of the A330-200 you are on.
On arrival in Doha you will exit by the rear door.
Checked and if its a A330-202 ( no first class) your row (29) will be facing the bulkhead.
chr1s999 when arriving in Doha its a lawless transit area. Many flights arrive at the same time as the Manchester one and from experience the transit area is chokka block with many people from different cultures who don't know the meaning of forming an orderly queue and so just push their way around. My advice is look out for airport employees in the transit area shouting/looking for people like yourself who have a short transit time, show them your tickets and tell them you only have a short time and from experience they will take you to the front of the security queue and bypass some of the chaos.
thinking about booking a holiday next year to Bali. Fly from Heathrow to Doha then onto Bali. I think its a change of plane but both are with Qatar airlines. Will i have to collect luggage at Doha then check it back in for my connecting flight ? Or once its checked in at Heathrow will that be it till i arrive in Bali ?
As long as you haven't bought seperate tickets for each leg you will be able to check the baggage through to the final destination.
With Qatar Airways you can book your luggage to destination,when you arrive in Doha just follow Transfers,this can get busy depending on what time you arrive.
Hi,We are going to goa for 9 weeks in jan,we have got the chance of what seams to be a good deal with this airline,has anyone used this airline and what do you think of them?.
Qatar are a 5* airline, one of the best.
I live and work in Qatar and travel with them on buisness and on return trips to the Uk,they are one of the best Airlines flying if you want anymore information please pm me.
We flew Qatar to Sri Lanka a couple of years ago. The best airline I have flown with, by a country mile.
Hi Qatarman!

I'm travelling with my husband, 2 year old son and 1 year old son to bali from Heathrow on 21st August. We're apparently travelling on an airbus a330-300 to Doha then an a300/600 onto Denpasar. Is there any way we can get extra legroom seats in advance? our 2 year old has his own seat but we'll be juggling our one year old! Do both these planes have good in flight entertainment to keep our boys happy???!!! :? Sorry for all the questions - I'm a bit nervous about such a long flight and keeping the boys entertained!!

Thanks loads! :D
With Qatar Airways you can prebook your seat by number,I dont know about extra legroom as these are near the exits and normally not prebookable,however travelling with small chirdren its worth contacting your nearest Qatar Airways office and explain I am sure they will help.
As for inflight entertainment on the A330-300 it is very good with some games. on the A300-600 these are older aircraft and I havent flown one for about 4yrs last time was a night flight to Bangkok,sorry I cannot help you there.If I see the Buisness Development Manager on Friday I will ask and post again.Sorry I cannot check tomorrow I will be in Dubai.
I checked on the A300-600,sorry to say only drop down screens,these planes will be taken out of service early next year.
Thanks for your help! Better make sure we have lots of toys with us then!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.