America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
No you are not pathetic. Loads of people dislike using the underground. I would think that it would be best for you to keep away at rush hour. Try using http://www.hopstop.com for directions on how to get from one place to another walking, subway or busses,if you really get panicky you can always grab a taxi. I am visiting NYC for the first time in March and have already started planning some of my journeys using hopstop. I think if you know exactly the directions of which line and stops to take you will have less a chance of getting in a panic. Also if you haven't already, check out http://www.tripadvisor.com for info on getting around. Look in the FAQ's, there is loads of info about using the subway etc.and the regulars on this site can be very helpfull, one tip though refer to it as the subway not the underground they are a bit funny about using the correct word. I hope to hear about your experiences on your return.
Hi Michelle, it's not a daft question. I know exactly how you feel.

I looked online before we went and thought the subway looked horribly complicated. My hubby didn't want to use it as he thought it would be crowded and dangerous. The fact is that it's perfectly safe, efficient and clean (not like the images we've often seen in the movies!) but you have to know where you are going. To make the most of it you really need to study routes - i.e which are up town / down town / cross town trains but the entrances to the stations have the colours of the route across the top.
We only used it the once (to get across and walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge) and being complete novices I have to admit it took us a while to figure out which train to get.

Judith beat me to it - Hopstop that she recommends is great for getting directions and I used it a lot before we went.

In my opinion, if you're OK to walk then the best way to see the city is to walk and boy did we walk a lot. We also caught the odd cab and they are great for getting around and cheap too.

Hope that helps
I travelled on it loads when we were over there, even after midnight and it felt MUCH safer than Londons tube, which I use a hell of a lot.
It's not busy outside of rush hour and the stations and platforms are much much bigger than Londons.
However, trying to work out which line you need is VERY difficult as there are colours and numbers and they only work certain ways - in London you can walk in several different entrances and get on the same train, over there if you go in the wrong entrance you go the wrong way!
Good fun though and definitely has to be done.
All in all, much better than London!

TC
Derwentrocker would you mind posting a review of the 30:30 once you've been please? I've had a look at the reviews on Tripadvisor but would appreciate the most up-to-date info possible. I'm considering the 30:30 for my first trip to NY (and the States!) in December 2008 - my friend's getting married at the Waldorf-Astoria :shock: so I'm after a cheaper :!: hotel not too far away which will also be handy for the usual touristy things :lol:

(Am so excited already!! :hyper :hyper :hyper )

Have a great time in Feb :D
Anyone wishing to post a review for the Hotel Thirty Thirty may do so HERE.

Pippy :D
Derwentrocker, dont be panicking. When we used it last year we were out siteseeing etc all day, and used all the lines during the whole day and the only station that was really busy was Grand Central (but so many lines meet there as well as normal trains). I think we had to stand once as well.

We have used subways in many places and NYC was the easiest to use. Its so quick and convenient to get about and your never really on it for long.

Try not to worry and avoid rush hour. Get a single ticket and see what you think before buying a weekly pass if you were thinking of doing that. HTH
:wave
:lol: reading all this is making me feel better and quite ridiculous about my nervousness.... I have looked on the sites mentioned and it has helped me a lot, so a big thank you for that. I am going for a week so hopefully that will be plenty of time to sort a good route out.

Choirgirl....... Yes of course i will post reguarding 30/30 hotel, it wasnt our first choice, but it was the only one Virgin had left on the reduced rate rooms, some special virgin saver i think. As long as its clean and tidy, i am not bothered, i shall be out all day and night lol.

Reguarding the Empire state building, is it far to get to the top, and is it enclosed surroundings? Are the steps closed in and not see through, if you know what i mean. The reason i ask is because my husband doesnt like heights and has an inner ear condition called labrititus which makes him sweat, sick and dizzy. But he is determind to go to the top :shock:

Is it best to buy tickets before we go on these usual sights?

Also is the sea choppy near the status of liberty as i get sea sickness, but ok on rivers.

Crikes we sound a bunch of wimps :lol:

Thanks x
Hi I use London underground all the time, not for the faint hearted.

I was very impressed with the tube system in New York.

It didn't seem as packed, I guess avoid rush hour.
And maybe weekends evenings.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn, and also the Metro.

I can recommend the Apple Hop on Hop off bus.
You can get tickets which last two days.

And Central Park Zoo, and Strawberry Fields.

Have a great time......

Karen x
Hi Michelle,

Here's the official ESB site where you can pre-order tickets - http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/index.cfm?CFID=24770573&CFTOKEN=85965715
As we only had 5 days and simply couldn't do everything (hence my longing to go back!!) we chose TOTR instead of the ESB so I can't help with ESB specifics but from what I've seen, it's a lift that gets you to the top, not steps. The top of the building is all enclosed with mesh so he'll feel quite safe. Be prepared for queues though, I've heard of some long waits from people on TA.
If speed to the top is your hubby's number one priority then TOTR might be a better option http://www.topoftherocknyc.com - the lift takes you to the top in seconds, there are no queues and there's plenty of room for everyone at the top. The views are uninterrupted as the observation deck is surrounded by glass.
Of course it depends on the time of day you are visiting as with regard to views traveller reviews seems to be that the day views are best at TOTR and the night views are best at ESB.

We found the water fine when we went across on the SI ferry in May. If you are going to Liberty Island, the advice I've most often seen is get the first ferry in the morning. There are long queues and you have to go through a security check too which can take quite a while (that's why we opted for the Staten Island ferry to see lady liberty instead). The statue is still closed so you can only go on the island and not into the statue.

Hope that helps, anything else, just shout.
You have all been very helpful, thank you very much:)

Michelle x
I used the MTA's own site to get familiar with the subway. I've not enough posts to give you the site addy, but just type MTA into google and it'll do the rest. There's a full subway system map with the facililty to click on any station and see which trains stop there and at what times, there's also a handy route planner. Have fun.

As for the Staten Island Ferry, I've gone over in both summer and winter and didn't find any difference in the choppiness of the water, I think the ferry itself is big enough to take a lot of the bumpiness out of the ride, one word of warning though :wink: take a scarf and wrap it around your face, put your hood up and get those gloves on, it was minus 5 on there last week, even colder when the wind blows your way. Needless to say there were only us daft tourists on the outside decks with our cameras. If you want a perfect phot spot go right through the boat and out the front doors on the way over, then do the same on the way back. We found a little spot in the corner just shy of the opening doors in which to shiver our way over and back. There's only a chain across the front of the deck and it's only a small space so stand well back.. :lol:

It's a New York must do though........

*Edit to add website for you :wink: Pippy*

http://www.mta.info/
Thank you very much for the information x

Michelle
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.