Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
upset tummy??
20 Posts
We have been to Greece several times - hotels and apartments.

A few hints and tips which might help.

If eating out always go for a restaurant that is busy (especially with locals) that way the turn over of food is usually good.

We always steer clear of chicken (and pork to a certain extent) and shellfish. In Greece you will find they use a lot of lamb anyway. Vegetarian food is usually cooked to order as is most fish.

Turkey and Bulgaria are renowned for tummy troubles. Greece and in particular the major tourist resorts are well used to catering for us Brits.

I think a lot of tummy troubles are simply down to over indulgance - be it drink or food and too much sun rather than the food.

Just be sensible and you should be ok - I suffer with irritable bowel syndrome so it doesn't take much to upset that - and I don't usually have anymore problems than I get at home!!

Pippa
If it's any consolation, we've been to Turkey 3 times and each time I've had some sort of tummy upset - the first time quite bad, the others more minor but a nuisance all the same. I've been to various parts of Greece, around 15 times now - I'm starting to lose count - and I've never had a tummy bug! We're aware of hygiene but not overly so and don't avoid any foods, in fact I love seafood.
My family, 2 adults+ 2 children have been to the Greek Islands for the last 10 years and upset tummies have never been an issue. Always buy bottled water, do not have ice in drinks and stick to taverna's and restuarants that have been recommended to you.
Also been to Greece on 5 different two week holidays, and this has never been a problem. Normal precautions of bottled water and trying to choose busy looking resturants/tavernas. Off to Turkey for the first time this year and am not confident about food and hygiene standards because of what I read on here. Have a brilliant time in Greece. (part of me wishes I was going there too!)
If you need any more reassurance, I've been to Greece about 30 times now and the only times I've had a tummy upset are when I've drunk too many ouzos or metaxas (or both!) the night before! I do drink bottled water, but I drink it at home too, so it's more out of habit than caution. I eat wherever and whatever I want and have no problems with washing fruit and veg under the tap or having ice in my drinks - in fact I drink loads of frappes when I'm in Greece, which are just tap water and ice whizzed up with instant coffee.
I have found that hygiene in Greece is generally excellent & have never been sick............ and I have had bouts of mild food poisoning on a number of occasions in other countries.
Don't worry, you're going to a fabulous country! :wink:
I have to agree with everybody here, never had any tummy problems in Greece.

The strange thing is, I have never even thought about that until know :hmmm yet when going to other countries I always make sure I have Immodium because I do tend to get a bit of an 'iffy' tummy for a couple of days.

Back to Greece in June / July :hyper
Hi everone! :)
Thanks you ever so much for all your relies. You have all made me feel much better now. Am really looking forward to going to Kalamaki and taking in the Greek experience. Once again thanks to all. Dizz xx
i have a very delicate stomach and Greece is the only country which i have been ok. The food is so yummy!!!!!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news as we love the islands and are going 2'ce this year but we went to Skiathos last year for two weeks and i got food poisoning after 5 days which lasted for 3 weeks after i returned, it wasn't just an upset stomach it was constant sweating, delirium, the full monty !

edit to remove bold
I think there is always a risk of food poisoning/tummy bug in any place, in any country. I am a regular visitor to Greece and in particular Zante. I always follow the basic rules that have been mentioned and have never had a problem. I think its a case of being aware and not doing anything silly. Sometimes 14 nights of rich food isn't good.

Sarah
I've always been OK with the food in Greece but one thing I can't get away with is the beer - even one bottle gives me the runs!! Funnily enough I don't drink beer/lager at home but I occasionally really fancy one on holiday, however in Greece I now just stick to wine.
Hi Dizzdy2000.

Another idea.

Take it easy on the olive oil.The greeks use it for cooking and then you may add more yourself's at the table.especially if you don't use the oil at home.

I have been to greece 6 time's and never had any probs.

Cheers Inz.
I can't vouch for these remedies but have read somewhere that if you get a tummy upset:
1. drink flat coke ( add more sugar to make it flat) or

2. drink a shot (eg teguila) in one go.
Strangely I always forget these when it happens but am definitely going to remember next time to see if they work! :yuck
Inz has a good point regarding olive oil. I remember being told that the greeks cook with olive oil "because it makes the food slide down easy, and makes it slide out easy."
Olive oil is a bit of a laxative if you're not used to it. Wont upset the tummy to much, but might keep you on the move :shock:

2. drink a shot (eg teguila) in one go.

Sounds like a good idea anyway, why wait for an upset tummy!!!

And.
Hi
We went to kalamaki last year. Hubby did think he had food poisoning but it only lasted 16 hours and went away as soon as I made him drink some lemonade! I personally think it was sun stroke and dehydration from the boat trip the day before when he hadn't eaten anything - then he ate two meals that night! There is no way there was anything wrong with the food because it was piping hot!

I've travelled quite alot an never had a tummy upset. I think a lot of it is down to over indulgence, change of weather and mixing with different people/different diet.

For example - kids get ill the first few weeks at school because they mix with loads of other kids they haven't seen before!

Drinking bottled water will help - but if you aren't used the drinking so much, or it has a high mineral content this can also affect your constitution.

If you are prone to stomach trouble eat hot cooked food, not sandwiches and salads. I've never had a problem with Chicken but you never know.

I found that the hotel had juice for breakfast - but when I checked it was concentrate mixed with tap water
Hey Dizz

We were in Kalamaki a little whle ago, well 12 years ago to be precise!

No tummy troubles. Have a look while you are there for Michaels, it's a teverna on the road into Kalamaki and it was always packed so you had to sit in his bar while waiting for the table, (clever these Greeks, eh!) Excellent food and Great Hospitality, Best Taverna in the area!

But then again I've heard it's changed so much.
Hi again everone!!
Firstly thank you for so many replies! I only cook with olive oil so am very used to that. I don't eat red meat at all, but do eat chicken and fish, so I think I will be fine with fish dishes and the many vegetarian dishes that the Greece are famous for. I am really looking forward to going to Kalamaki. I have heard about drinking 'flat' coke so will bare this in mind if I am unfortunate to get an upset tummy. I also believe that there are many mosquitoes there but I always take Avon 'Skin so Soft' body spray with me. This works a dream against mossies! I don't know whats in it but the mossies stay away when I wear that. Once again thanks for all your many replies.
Love to all Dizz xx
Dizz, from personal experience of Turkey and Greece, I always avoid food with peppers. I tried it twice last year in Turkey and I had no problems at all. I know it's hard to avoid them all the time, but peppers are a good relief for the old Farmer Giles - they keep ones movements free. :lol: :lol:

Take these few words as a tip, not a warning.

Parky :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.