France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We've been using our Royal Bank of Scotland Mastercard in French supermarkets/hypermarkets of all sizes for years without any difficulty (I've also used it in USA, Belgium, Spain, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland). There is sometimes a slight delay in the credit card machine processing the transaction but nothing major. The pay at the pump petrol stations don't seem to work for UK cards. France has had chip and pin for a couple of years at least although I've never had to use it as I only got a chip and pin card since our last trip abroad.
Yes they normally do and they have the pin number machine. Though most shops insist that you spend at least 10€ before they will let you use your credit card. And also Lidl only take laser and not credit cards!!!
Not had any problems in shops however automatic pumps in 24 hour petrol stations won't take them.
That was my vague memory...
Don't forget to inform your credit card company that you are going to France before you leave.
Because chip and pin isn't so widely available over there, the machines still use the magnetic strip on the card. This has enabled cloning cards to be used in France. Your credit card company will instantly be on the alert if you haven't told them in advance.
Chip and pin was brought online in France earlier this year. Some of the hypermarkets still do not have the correct machines for reading UK chips. In this case, the cashier will still try to put your card through the scanning system ... but it will come up with Carte Muette ('dumb card' - which simply means that the system cannot communicate with your card, not a personal observation!)

I find that my Cirrus UK cards work more frequently than my UK Mastercard.

And YES, the automatic petrol pumps do NOT accept UK cards (even credit cards like Visa). Sorry, but that's the way it is.
during our last visit, we had to show our passport as well, cos the bill was over 50 Euros.. this was in Geants down in the South of France...
I have occassionally been asked for ID but find my photo driving licence is sufficient.
No problems using any cards ie credit or switch
Steve,

Just a word of warning - apart from 24 hour petrol stations (I find some unsuspecting Frenchman/woman and give them cash and they use their credit card!)

Whenever i've been in the local Auchan, L'Eclerc, Hypermarche, Supermache, Carrefour etc. etc. it's not credit cards that are the problem but the wife who can't stop using them!!!
:argue
I'm going to the site Europe complex next month, hopefully to find cheaper cigarettes than in Britain, but if there's likely to be a problem using visa or delta, I may decide to take cash as a fall back. Does anyone know which is the best currency to use?
The Euro - the currency of France!
soppyfool wrote
I'm going to the site Europe complex next month, hopefully to find cheaper cigarettes than in Britain, but if there's likely to be a problem using visa or delta, I may decide to take cash as a fall back. Does anyone know which is the best currency to use?

Cite Europe is not the best place to buy Tobacco in France the best place is actually in Belgium on the French/Belgian border on the old road AFAIK
Used my card all over this year. Chip and pin was everywhere we went. Only snag was when the card went in there was an abrieviated message which it turned out was asking whether you wanted french or English (althogh this was not clear from the letters on the screen). After having to hand the cashier the machine twice I just pressed the green button when the message appeared and then it went through as normal (in French).

I should also add that when I got home Nationwide gave me E1.48 to the pound on my statement(Normal exchange rate was about E1.42) and no charges!
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the tour company we'll be with only goes to the Cite Europe complex but as we'll be there for a good few hours maybe someone knows how long it would take to get to the Belgium border and back and the quickest means of transport? Or does anyone know how much cigarettes actually are at Cite Europe compared with Belgium? We're hoping to get Marlboro Red. Maybe they can they be bought on the ferry across?
Ciggies are a real problem. Supermarkets don't sell them (We looked in Le Clerc and Auchan) and we looked in Carrefour the Cite this Summer and we could not find a Tabac. I'm not even sure if a Tabac will sell you a large quantity anyway. Not being smokers we are not well gened up on how to obtain ciggies. We were on the Supercat from Boulogne and they have a shop on the dock but don't sell fags. On the ferry you could only buy one packet of 20 each! So our friends didn't get their cheap fag that they had asked us to get.
Thanks for your comments. I've since received a helpful e-mail from Le Brassa in Calais saying cigs standard price in France is 50 euros a sleeve of 200 - Sterling being an option with daily rate changes. Still hoping there'll be enough people on our coach to persuade the driver to go the half hour drive to Adinkerke for the best deals!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.