Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
we have just collected our tickets from first choice...

it says baggage allowance 25kg...and we did pay extra when booking it last year......

so, have we got 20kg suitcase, and 5 kg handluggage?

or.....

25kg for checked in baggage?

first choice have told me its 25kg suitcase, with no weight over 23kg....

friends have been told 20kg suitcase..and 5 kg hand luggage

help

i have posted this on the first choice section, and then seen this bit.....sorry if i have put it in the wrong place.

xx
K&R ,

Airlines often use combined figures to make it look like they are being generous with their luggage allowances. 25kg = 20kg hold and 5kg hand luggage. If you are staying at a Premier hotel, your luggage allowance is increased to 23kg + 5kg hand luggage. As you mention, you are only permitted to check-in a suitcase up to 23kg for health and safety reasons. Suitcases weighing more than 23kg will be refused travel. If in doubt, give customer services a quick call to check.

Darren
I asked a similar question a while ago but never received an answer,just wondering if anyone can help with this

dav wrote:
Guys,I have a question which has probably been asked a thousand times but doing a search hasn't given me an answer.I have booked short haul flights only from Thomas Cook website(not Flythomascook).Before hitting the "BOOK NOW" button I checked the FAQ's regarding baggage allowance and it states that all flight only bookings from 4th March have 20kgs allowance,any bookings prior to this date will remain at 15kg. I am assuming(and hoping) that this means hold luggage allowance as I never got the option to buy an extra 5kgs during the booking procedure.Could someone please confirm.Thanks in advance,Dave.

The information on the emailed flight documents state 20kg allowance,same question, is that hold or combined?I'm making an "educated" guess that 15kg allowance is 15kg hold,not 5kg hand and 10kg hold.
dav,

The standard allowance with Thomas Cook is 15kg hold and 5kg hand luggage (20kg combined). Refer to the Thomas Cook thread for more details.

Darren
Darren,so for a package holiday the allowance is 10kg hold and 5kg hand luggage?
The 20kg is the combined weight - 15kg hold and 5kg hand luggage. They also state that only one piece of hand luggage is allowed and everything carried must fit inside it. That said, going through Stansted in April I was carrying my handbag as well in order to have my passport handy and at no time was I told to put it in my holdall.
The bold type in my original question were the words(nearly) taken from TC's FAQ section.If you are saying my allowance (20kg) is15+5,what does the 15kg allowance equate to?
According to the TC website the maximum weight for any one item of hold luggage is 30kgs.
dav,

The 15kg is 15kg of hold / checked-in luggage. The hand luggage is seperate. Where did you get that quote from? There was a change in luggage allowances a while ago when it was reduced from 20kg to 15kg (hold). If you're on a package holiday, everything will be printed on your tickets when you get them, but it'll be 15kg hold and 5kg hand luggage (total 20kg). You have the option of paying for an additional 5kg hold luggage if you wish.

Darren
Darren,maybe I wasn't clear on my original post but I said short haul flights only.I'm pretty sure that we have 20kg hold allowance but I'm just not sure about the terminology.I'll just assume we are 20kg and worry about the consequences should they arise.The quote was from Thomas Cook's FAQ section.
dav,

Sorry, I thought you said you were on a package deal. In that case, flight only comes with hand luggage only, 5kg. If you want to take checked-in luggage, that's at additional cost (£16 return i think it is currently). As you are paying for bags, you are entitled to 20kg of checked-in luggage, along with 5kg of hand luggage.

Darren
ok,thanks everyone.For those in the know it's probably quite straight forward but for me,some of the wording can be a bit confusing. :duh
dav wrote:
For those in the know it's probably quite straight forward but for me, some of the wording can be a bit confusing

Don't worry, it's far from straight forward and is continually changing and very confusing! Thomas Cook is a classic example. You can be on the same flight as others who've booked on package deal and they can have two different baggage limits. TCX package customers have 15kg hold allowance while Direct Holidays have 20kg, and flight only nothing unless they pay the £16 return for 20kg hold alowance. All very confusing!

Darren
thanks for the quick reply Darren, think i will give them a call to make sure as we have been told different things
first choice have confirmed it is the suitcase weight that we have printed in the tickets....

so, 25 kg, in suitcase weight......

thanks
hi

we are family of 5 travelling (to DR) and will be using 3 suitcases.. according to direct holidays we have 20kg luggage allowance.
is it okay to use the allowance over the 3 cases

I know this sounds a really thick just dont want to get caught out at the airport is there a limit to what a suitcase should be ie to protect the baggage handlers.

thanks
Hi, I think 32kg is the absolute maximum for one case, am sure someone will correct me on that one if I'm wrong !
That's right Juby - but that's one heavy case!
sw4hb,

Here is a link for Direct Holidays baggage allowance.

http://www.directholidays.co.uk/AniteNextPage.asp?p=EXTRAINFO_61773

juby5 & Helen T

The limit is 30kg maximun per case.

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.