Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Moved and merged to existing topic in Flights section.

Mark :)
Chivas69 wrote:
I thought for health and safety it had gone down to 23kg?

It varies depending on the handling agents and what policy the airline has adopted. The absolute maximum is 32kg with anything over 20kg getting a 'heavy' sticker. Health and safety policy was going in the direction of a maximum of 23kg for baggage handlers, the reason why many airlines have adopted that limit. It hasn't been standardised across the board yet though.

Darren
Can I take bacon in my hold luggage?
anie,

Yes, as long as it isn't a prohibited item for import in to the country you are travelling to.

Darren
Hi. Can some one help me please? It's my first time flying (going to Toulouse) and I'm wondering about securing my hold luggage. A) what is the best type of case/bag to use and B) what's the best way to secure it? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
catslovelycats,

Welcome onboard :tup
Suitcase / bag options are wide and varied depending on your requirements. That's something only you can decide upon really. It needs to be large enough for your needs, but not too large so the contents are lose inside, light enough so as not to take up a large proportion of your weight allowance, ideally be on wheels to make it easier moving it and sturdy to take the punishment without damaging the contents. I personally like Tripp, they make a good range of suitcases that meet all of the above. Most suitcases and bags designed for travel have the ability to be locked (Tripp come with locks). I prefer locks with keys so I can have a main set and spares rather than a combination number, its easily forgotten!

Darren
Bad news :-(
From 7th October 2009 for tickets booked and travelled from that date, BA are REDUCING the baggage allowance in Economy from 2 x 23KG each to ONE x 23Kg per person

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/new-baggage-policy/public/en_gb
Can`t seem to find my brain today..I know this is a daft question but please can you help me out.

We fly with TC on Friday have 20kg x 3 - when we flew a few weeks ago had the same allowance and took 2 cases about 25kg each between the 3 of us.

This time want to take 3 cases - could we have one small case 12kg, another 18kg and the big one 26kg. It is within allowance but I just can`t seem to work it out in my brain if this is ok.

Many thanks

Helen
katiesmum,

Thomas Cook allow the pooling of luggage. As long as all passengers are on the same booking and no case weights more than 30kg with a comined weight no greater than 60kg, you'll be fine.

Darren
Hi Darren

Many thanks, thats what I thought but seem to loose the plot when packing.
Just weighed my case and it's 22.7 kg with an allowance of 20 :( only problem is I can't take anything out (got a load of donations for a childrens hospital) my handluggage is only 2kg so what are the chances of them weighing my hand luggage and deducting this from the total?

Also, does anyone know the rough cost of excess baggage per kg?
dramaqueen,

It depends who you are travelling with, but I'd take some of the things from your hold luggage and take it as hand luggage so you're within allocated limits. With excess charges runing at around £10 per kg, you don't want to be charged.

Darren
Thanks Darren :)
£10! Gosh! :really I remember when it was £4 per kg! We're going with Thomas Cook so their charges will be high
dramaqueen
I'd agree with Dazbo, especially if you're flying charter - they seem to be more strict with hold luggage and are likely just to weigh your case and charge you for the excess than offset your 2.7kg against your hand luggage.

Thomas Cook charge £8 per kg.
I've just been through my case and decided to take loads of sun lotion and shampoo out... going to buy at the airport to reclaim my baggage! Would rather line Boots Chemist's pockets than tc's
Hi Dazbo/prettypollycat - I notice on the Thomas Cook airline website that they state short haul charge as £8 per kilo - "in batches of 5 kilos" - which makes me wonder if the charge will at a minimum be £40! I also note that it's a bit dearer for long haul.
(but actually TC charges pale into insignificance when you look at some of the excess charges from scheduled carriers - eg Air France at £26 per kilo and Emirates at £35 per kilo!!!)
ukbill,

The prices on TCX's website are for pre-booking extra allowance, that's why they quote in batches of 5kg. If you arrive at the airport and exceed your quoted allowance, you'll be charge £10 per kg. The scheduled carriers have prices that high to encourage you not to exceed your limits. You'd have more money than sense to turn up and pay those sorts of prices.

Darren
dramaqueen wrote:
what are the chances of them weighing my hand luggage
I've never been asked to weigh my hand luggage, but I always use a squishy beach/shopper type of bag which looks like it probably wouldn't hold much :wink: Occasionally I have been asked to show them my bag (just so they can see how big it is and how heavy they think it might be) and then I have to be superwoman, smile, and lift it as if it's light as a feather, when it actually weighs a ton with all my bits and bobs inside... :lol:
Prettypollycat wrote:
Thomas Cook charge £8 per kg.

It's now £10 per kg last I heard.

cyberspacekadette wrote:
I've never been asked to weigh my hand luggage

I have on a couple of occasions and it's becoming more common these days on charter flights and especially low cost schedule carriers. If it's obvious your bag is well within size / weight limits, it won't be but if it's bulging and looks close to limits, expect to have it checked. With 15kg becoming a common hold luggage allowance, more and more are pushing the limits with hand luggage so they're coming under closer sctrutinty at check-in.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.