Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
AIRBUS A380
153 Posts
Heard a rumour that the new airbridge at Gatwick that is linking the North Terminal building with some of the gates (and which the taxi way to the South terminal satellite gates runs under) has just been completed but is 6 ft too low for the A380 to go under it :?: If this is true then I bet someone at the BAA is embarrassed :oops:
I read that they will let the tyres down to creep under the bridge and re-inflate them later!

Only joking, I bet someones backside is getting a little moist at the prospect of a multi £M cock-up.
Not just a rumour Traveller. The Gatwick airbridge is 22m above the taxiway. An A380 is 24.1m high. Whoops!
Dont think it will be a problem it just means the A380 will have to use a gate at the other end of the North terminal, it dosnt effect the south terminal at all and as most flights using that end of the north terminal are BA flights who havnt ordered them (yet!!!) its not an issue.

Have been under the new bridge and it is pretty impressive I did try to have a walk over last time I flew out (a couple of weeks ago) but didnt have time.

Rob 8)
I was at Manchester when alpha-charlie flew in for its last ever flight for retirement at the aviation viewing park. Concorde was in impressive aircraft and way ahead of its time.

And how proud I am to be Mancunian and have such a marvellous piece of aviation history just a short drive away :D I didn't make it to the Viewing Park for that final landing, but I got a lump in my throat watching it on TV - and now whenever we go on holiday from Manchester Airport, our ordinary plane will pass Concorde and remind us all that the vast majority of us missed our chance to do one of the things that everyone should have done in their lifetime :(
However, I hope to be able to use the new Airbus one day. I guess fares will be expensive for the first few years, but as long as airlines make the most of the extra space and give us plenty of legroom, then it may well be worth it. Although I can imagine some budget airlines putting in all 800 seats and cramming us in like sardines... :roll:
You might be interested in this. Its the video I filmed of alfa-charlie making her final approach and landing. Its not the best quality, I didn't have my tripod then, but its watchable. The sounds of those RR-Olympus engines on full reverse is immense compared to aircraft such as 747's. Even when it was at the oposite side of the airport, its still louder than a 747 at take off power 100m infront of you!

http://www.flightlevel350.com/public_viewer.php?cat=75&pic=899

Darren
good video :D I got a lump in my throat (again) just watching it - there'll never be anything like it, not in the near or distant future, we're too concerned with cost and environmental issues to put something like that into the air again
only just found this topic, A380 and concorde :D i was lucky enough to fly on concorde once in the 1980's but its :offtop so if you want to know pm me :)
as for the A380 well from what i have seen most airlines are planning to put 500 too 550 seats in it, the only time i can see it getting up to 700+ at the moment is if any airlines in japan order it for the domestic market (none have so far)

as for the first flight yes singapore-london should be the first flight but i was reading the other day it was put back at least six months, what was not clear was if it was airbus(programme slipage), airline(not enough passengers) or airport(not going to be ready) fault, only time will tell i guess.
It's Airbus themselves that have caused the delay. Some sources say it's mainly due to the Airbus plant in Hamburg apparently not assembling some components correctly, therefore delaying plane assembly in Toulouse. Other sources say it's caused by cabin fitting problems because the first 15 planes all have totally different interior specs.
Airbus at Paris airshow....

CLICK HERE
The A380 as seen from space :D

CLICK HERE
Did anyone watch the Channel 4 documentary earlier this evening about building/testing the A380? It was really interesting :D
Just watch it myself, superb looking machine. Can't wait to get aboard.

Darren
was an excellent bit of tv, noticed at the end that at least one major airline is seeking compensation under the terms of its contract due to the late delivery of there order, does anyone know which airlines this is.
Don't know which airlines but apparently the delays are due to the individual airlines design specifications anyway :roll:
It was a good programme - the test pilots were a great bunch weren't they? I bet they were so proud to be the first men to take such a magnificent piece of engineering into the sky 8)
I think it most likely is quantas
just got round to watching it last night, what a great bit of tv.... i hope there is a follow up like first flight to first revenue flight..... if only to see how they fixed the landing gear!
That bit with the rolls royce engine was amazing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.