Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
AIRBUS A380
153 Posts
Saw the 380 for the first time at Farnbrough last Tuesday, WOW is all I can say. The thing is so quiet on take off and landing you wouldn't know it was there. The test pilots put it through its paces and it looks very agile. Can't wait for the first proper passenger flight
Emirates reviews A380 order

Emirates is reviewing its order of the Airbus A380 after being advised of a further 10-month delay.

The biggest customer of the aircraft, Emirates has been told that deliveries of its first 43 aircraft will not now take place until August 2008.

Emirates' president Tim Clarke said: "It's a very serious issue. The company is now reviewing all its options."

Another 15 airlines have ordered the Airbus, including Virgin, Lufthansa, Air France and Qantas.

Singapore Airlines will be the first to take delivery at the end of this year.

Industry observers said if Emirates was to pull its order, this would spell the end of the A380 programme.

Air France described the delay as "highly regrettable" after being informed by Airbus that its first aircraft will not be available until spring 2009 instead of 2008.

The French carrier, which has orders for 10 of the giant aircraft plus options for a further four, said negotiations with the manufacturer will be continued to "define the terms of our financial compensation".

With permission from Travelmole
Hope it works out, i would be surprised if the project was to get pulled though especially after all the money and time which has been spent upgrading airports to accomodate the a380.
Virgin delays A380 delivery

Virgin Atlantic has put back delivery of the Airbus A380 super jumbo jet by four years to 2013.

The airline has extended leases on a number of existing Boeing 747-400s to meet its fleet needs and future growth plans.

Virgin has an order for six A380s but delays have hit deliveries of the aircraft to carriers worldwide.

Virgin confirmed it had reached agreement in principle with Airbus to defer deliveries of its A380s until 2013.

"By then, we believe the A380 will have proven its innovative design over several years in commercial service," a statement said.

"The deferral will also enable Airbus to prioritise production and deliveries for its launch customers, such as Singapore Airlines."

Anyone notice the A380 that landed at Filton nr Bristol at lunchtime today?

Pic of it here with a Concorde rusting away in the background...
I used to work at Filton in one of the buildings next to the runway and a couple of hundred yards from Concorde until last year and we used to go out and watch the special planes landing or taking off all the time. I don't work there now but I did see the A380 fly low over Bristol last week on it's way to landing at Filton. A mighty impressive plane that's for sure.
A mystery buyer at the Paris Air Show has placed an order for an Airbus A380 superjumbo - for use as a private jet .... click here for more.

David :wave
First A380 service confirmed

Singapore Airlines has confirmed October 28 as the date for the inaugural scheduled flight by the mega Airbus A380.

The aircraft will fly from Singapore to Sydney, replacing one of three Boeing 747s on the route.

The 471-seat aircraft is configured in three classes: 12 Singapore Airlines Suites (on the main deck), 60 Business Class (on the upper deck) and 399 Economy Class seats (on both decks).

Guys

We flew with Singapore Airlines in October/November and I must tell you that the A380 had just become fully operational. We had watched the first leave from Singapore whilst we were in Melbourne and we were hoping that we'd be on the flight from Sydney to Singapore as that was the route it was operating. Unfortunately for us, we missed that flight - there are 3 or 4 flights a day from Sydney and we were on number 2 - the A380 from Sydney was the flight before!!!

Anyway, it was parked up at Changhi Airport when we arrived and it looked fabulous! The airport has specific gates allocated to the plane due to the new door configuration, so it was easy to locate it. When we originally flew to Singapore on our way out, I saw the A380 parked on the tarmac away from the building and it was all I could do to contain my excitement at being able to see such a fantastic aircraft. Ironically, when we flew back from Sydney, the A380 was parked next to a 747 and it looked so much more elegant.

Can't wait to be able to fly on one though!
The second AB 380 for Singapore Airlines has now been delivered. Can't remember when they start flying to UK via Londons Shabbyrow! :think

Nivsy
I should probably post this on the A380 thread, but just thought I'd post it here so people can have a look if they wish before it's moved to the A380 thread. The Airbus A380-841 Superjumbo (F-WWDD) made a flying visit to Manchester and Liverpool airport at 1320 / 1330 respectively on Saturday 12th July 2008. This is the first time the superjumbo has visited the region to perform a public display. Here she is performing an approach and go-around of Manchesters runway 23R:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Scuba2/Airbus-A380-841-F-WWDD-1.jpg
Gear up and go-around, climbing after her approach to runway 23R

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Scuba2/Airbus-A380-841-F-WWDD-2.jpg
Climbing from runway 23R. She's huge!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Scuba2/Airbus-A380-841-F-WWDD-3.jpg
Waggling her wings in salute of Concorde and the 1,000+ people lining the runway to see her

The weather wasn't particularly good but it was still a spectacular sight. The aircraft isn't the most attractive, but she sure is quiet when compared to aircraft of similar size. She's even quieter than aircraft far smaller thanks to the Rolls-Royce Trent 900 turbofans. I can't wait to have a flight on her and it'll be great to see her gracing the skies over the northwest in the next couple of years.

Darren

PS You see things first on HT :tup
Thanks Darren,

Great pics of a huge plane, keep up the good work.

Pendragon
Those are fantastic pictures Darren. Thank you for sharing them with us. I would have loved to have seen it in person, but you've helped me to feel that I did after all!
Great photos, I'm very jealous!

I bet those with tickets for Fairford were bitterly disappointed :(
19th May. Boarded the plane at Sydney and guess what? It was the 380! We were so excited. We were on the main deck. Very comfy, very quiet. It was fantastic. We were sorry to leave her in Singapore to board our 777 to Manchester. Hope I get the chance to fly on one again.
susan shaw wrote:
19th May. Boarded the plane at Sydney and guess what? It was the 380!

All I can say is you lucky :swear :tup It's going to be 2010 before we see them operating out of MAN. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though.

Darren
I`m sure th A380 flew over us a couple of years ago. We were at Chester zoo and someone said there was a hanger nearby and they were testing it. Maybe it wasn`t but it was a very large aircraft, bigger than a 747.

Would have loved to have seen the display on Saturday. Thanks for pictures Darren.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.