Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hiya Toots :cheers We always pop into Alvor during the day as we think it's a canny little place. We also popped into Praia de Rocha once, couldn't get parked so popped back out again but it did look quite built up. About a year ago we met up with my husband's cousin as it was her birthday one night in PDR and we didn't like it at all. In saying that the cousin really likes it there. :que
Hi yerself Glynis! :cheers

oo sounds like its still retained its charm then - I do remember it being quite hard to get a table at night in a lot of the better restaurants as folk poured in from the surrounding apartment complexes. But Alvor to me kept a great essence of itself..........and I remember the owner of a bar telling me it would never change - so I really hope it hasnt!

And the walk along the beach at night calling into the little beach huts for a nightcap.........

Looks like it might be Alvor again!
Praia da Rocha's main asset is the beach, but it is high-rise resort and would be extremely crowded and busy in July and August. The road along the seafront is now pedestrians only which might improve matters for visitors.
Hi Tootsie :)

I agree Alvor was excellent, it was a very good resort for children too. We booked Praia da rocha for a cheap week away and are leaving next week, soooooo excited :D Hope the weather stays nice!! It will be hard to beat Alvor as it was so nice but fingers crossed *keeps fingers crossed* :tup

I will make sure I call into Alvor for a nosy and will let you know if there are any changes!
Hi Tootsie. Hi Jill.mcc.

I've never been, but I've only heard good things about it. In fact, as I type, the weather is currently clear skies and 24 degrees. That's beer temperature on the beach if you ask me.
:wave:
Thanks for the lovely replies folks! Yep beer weather sounds good to me!

Praia de Rocha is a bit cheaper - but we are definately going for Alvor again - and we will take a taxi in to see Praia de Rocha - Jill will look out for your update!

Thanks again and enjoy your own holidays when they come round :cheers
Am glad you've chosen Alvor Toots - I wouldn't go to PDR but it's all personal choice. You're doing the right thing IMO taking a look around whilst your there first :cheers
Yes the weather down here is very nice but it is rather windy out in the open.

Enjoy your visits.
Thanks - yes I can remember it being glorious during the day but quite windy at night.......but I preferred that to the heat at night on the Spanish mainland and the islands - although I do love them also.

It was great not to have to "depend" on air conditioning at night if you were on a bit of a shoestring and had booked a more "basic" apartment! :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.