Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Agree completely GoaWish. I have to say in all the 10+ years we have been going to Goa we have never had anyone try to rip us off. Our taxi driver is of the same mind as yours. He wont even take Indians in his taxi because he says they wont pay. He said "I have a big knife under my seat!" He is a big 6ft lad so well capable of looking after himself. On the other hadn he always says to us "Enjoy your holiday dont worry about money, pay me next year" which I have to say is extremely trusting of him. Even the girls on the beach and the market who we see every year say '"pay next year" when we try to make out we haven't got enough money with us so we don't have to buy yet another piece of jewellry.
Sounds like a really frustrating time, jtownson. I find that service in India is strange. You meet people who will jump through hoops to make sure you get what you need - one shack had no Diet Coke so, despite my protestations that he shouldn't, one of the lads ran to a shop (not exactly nearby, either) to get some. It's so good it's embarrassing.

On the other hand, you have occasions like the one you describe. I find these usually happen in larger organisations where the "system" is king. Bureaucracy rules in India and people mustn't be allowed to get in the way of a system. If you don't have the correct piece of paper with the right stamp and signature, you've no chance. Common sense doesn't enter into it!

I find most Indian individuals are very entrepreneurial and will work hard to win your rupees. Most corporations are wrapped up in rules and regulations and petty paperwork.

We taught the Indians bureaucracy - they've perfected it!
So true Roma,

The amount of times our paperwork got checked in the airport is unbelivable, and the swine flu forms - filled these in twice (once in mumbai and then once in GOA!) Got it stamped by a DR who gave it back to me, I then gave it back five yards away to someone collecting them. Also filling in the forms to check in to the hotel - think there was 3 forms to fill in! Not complaing, just thought it was funny!
Just yesterday a taxi driver friend of mine took some Russian men late at night to the North of Goa. When he got there the men grabbed his throat and hit the taxi with big sticks and refused to pay. He was shoook up, but said this doesn't happen with the British, thankfully he is ok, just out of pocket

Yes heard a few stories like that while we were there.Apparently they get in at Calangute/Candolim etc and go all the way to Morjim and then refuse to pay.Some Taxi drivers now refuse to take them.Of course this is just what I have been told I have no actual evidence so there could be a bit of Russian bashing going on.

As for the fridge in the room I was certainly concerned when we got to the Santa Monica and our fridge was topped up before we had had anything.I made a note of everything we had and at the end of the week the bill was exactly as it should have been.

We left the pool area one day without paying our bill because we could not find a waiter and no one bothered us for it until we checked out.Again it was spot on.

A nice experience.

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.