Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
I've just been on First Choice site out of curiosity and chose May to any Canary Island for one week. There's an 'accommodation type' small button that you can click and I chose Apartments only. 6 out of 11 results were for Self Catering only. Try this it may help. Good luck.
Hiya

Dont know if you are looking at web-sites or brochures Hyper, but you may have more luck with brochures as sometimes its easier to sort through whats what in them.
I don't know where you want to go BUT Olympic holidays have around 35 self catering establishments around Greece and a further 26 around Cyprus

yasus
wizard
There are a lot of self catering complexes and hotels in Lanzarote that have either gone, or offer AI, mores the pity. The restaurants are suffering because of it.
Sadly lot's of people pick the AI because it is usually the cheaper option.
thank you for the responses.

Glynis, I've looked at many sites, although first choice seem quite dear these days for SC anyway. On each site I requested Self Catering only, incl Thomas Cook, Thomson, FC etc. The problem seems to be that they're too busy 'recommending' complexes rather than giving the old fashioned list from cheapest upwards.

doepsmc, Don't really do brochures much these days, generally it's been as easy to get all of the information online and whilst we do occasionally pick a brochure up, it's always nice to know what the price is on the day with all discounts/supplements made so you know where you stand rather than the theoretical prices.

Wizard, unfortunately we're looking at the canaries again this time as it's for winter 2011 and aside from Cyprus, our time isn't in season in most of the greek resorts. I want to visit cyprus however in the future so I'll keep them in mind thank you :)
Sunaddict, I believe this is part of the underlying problem. Also the fact that there used to be loads of complexes in the canaries with a lot of brochures, unijet, portland, mytravel, thomson, first choice, thomas cook, cosmos etc Many of these now seem as you say to be doing more & more AI but I just don't like that. The experience is to go out and eat where the locals eat, not in a crowded dining room where all the kids who've been throwing inflatables at you all day decide to start throwing food because they're bored! Shame really because we've had so many good meals at places which are no longer open due to a lack of business.

Obviously places like travel republic are more to the fore these days, but with many problems in the last few years, we do kind of like the peace of mind that going with one of the big firms gives you.
Not sure how it would work out for you pricewise, but have you considered a villa.

A lot depends on the make up of your party and what facilities they need. Would imagine there are a few villa complexes on the Canaries.

Years ago on Lanzarote we stayed in an apartment complex called Club Oceano and I think the owners have another couple of self catering complexes. These were nice you booked direct and then got your own flights.

Think there was a thread about them on the Lanzarote forum recently, so that might be a place to start. They might suit if you like eating out everynight you could walk to all the bars and restaurants in Puerto del Carmen from them.

I do agree that all the main TO's seem to be shifting away from apartments, I suppose its due to lacke of competition in the market now there is only the two big companies, they can just sell us what they want to sell us. :(

Doe :sun2
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=148590&p=1493418#p1493418

Can't seem to edit the above post. Here is the link to the thread about the apartments, looks like shorty stayed last year and they were still OK, you can probably google for more info. Just depends on if you are happy to do a DIY or if you want the security of a TO.
Hi, I agree that there do seem to be less self catering holidays being offered over the last few years although there is a choice to be had. As for them being 'busy recommending' places rather than displaying a list from the cheapest up, you can choose how you want the holidays displayed. There is normally a drop down menu where you can opt to have them displayed according to price rather than according to those recommended.

We always loved self catering and still prefer to eat in the local eateries, although we do go AI long haul occasionally. More recently due to the lack of choice on SC we've gone B&B which has actually worked out cheaper in some instances (where SC would have constituted a room supplement for only 2 people) and suited us fine as we can still eat out. The only problem there is if you like to make breakfast or a bit of lunch in your accomodation you don't have the facilities.
hyper
We go to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote at least once a year and always self cater. I would rather stay at home than a go AI to Lanza. We rent a villa these days but there are self catering complexes which have accommodation which is either privately owned or timeshared. We have stayed in those over the years as well.
It certainly isn't the cheapest option, but for us, it's the only way to go! I have just booked flights for September and need to transfer the deposit for the villa. It's brought a smile to my face just thinking about it, even though we have another holiday first in 8 weeks. Love the freedom if offers.
If you do go down the DIY route, make sure you have adequate insurance.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.