Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
bombs in dahab
121 Posts
OMG I was going to book a hoilday to the Hilton Dahab tomorrow. These people are sick.
Laurence
Arl cant find one, keep us informed, could you ring the hotel they are staying at? xxSBxx

Barclay will give you a big wave in Naama Bay xxx
We are due to go 5 May, and we are going whatever.

My thoughts are with all those who are caught up in this latest attack.
Thanks snorkelbabe, still can't find anything will try the hotel. thanks Arl
Well there not going to spoil my holiday been looking forward to it for to long now. We going to sharm on the 18th may, my hubby a bit worried but i'm sure they will step up the security now.
Thats dreadful news.A lot of people go to Dahab from Sharm on shopping trips.My friend has just flown to Luxor this morning after having to cancel a nile cruise after the shootings there a few years ago.She has waited years for her dream holiday and will be past herself if this news reaches Luxor.
Thomson were saying on sky news that they were contacting all their tourists in Dahab, I am sure if you contact their UK office they willbe able to help
The Foreign Office has no specific information at this time on any British casualties. However, their emergency telephone lines are currently being manned while they try to gather information from sources in Egypt. Anyone who fears they may have friends or relatives in the affected area may phone the emergency helpline on 0207 008 0000, but please bear in mind that in these early stages, information is likely to be scarce. Please do not phone that number for travel advice or news updates - the number must only be used by those with genuine concerns about friends or relatives in the area.

David
arl,
ring thompsons number on the web site and they should give you emergency numbers. hope everyone you know will be o.k. my heart goes out to all. going sharm 25th may and do you think this will stop me.......................no way, makes me even more determind to go. everyone, don't let it put you off, look what happened in london/madrid/turkey etc etc, they can't win if we don't let them.
Thanks for your replies I'll keep you posted, hopefully they are alright They called just a few moments before it happened. fingers crossed.
:cry: Hiya all
Dont know what to do now.

we are due to go to sharm in 5 weeks but now dont know what to do.
If it was just myself and partner then i would still go but i dont know if i want to take my kids there. I know by cancelling my holiday THEY have won but i would like other peoples views. :(
Hi

If you'd like to know what other members views are, have a look at THIS TOPIC from last year.

My first reaction was one of panic/fear.
I went on to enjoy the best holiday I've ever had!

It's a decision only you can make though.

Pippy :D
Im off in the morning to Sharm and dont know what to do, if it is unsafe for you to go there do you think the airline will tell you at the airport?
On BBC2 news they think most of the casualties are Egyptian.
hi! im due to go to sharm on the 28th june... the previous bombings had already been worrying me, but this one today has seriosuly given me doubts! i know that sharm has tightened its security a lot but had dahab done this too??? if it had then the extra security in sharm brings me no comfort! if i cancelled would i be likely to get my money back- no??? my heart goes out to everyone affected by this xxx
kerryandkeith

i go 25th may and i have 2 kids aged 11 and 14. i am still going, obviously a little worried but i refuse to let them win. i booked for this last april and then the july bombings happened. i said then i would still go and i stick by it. i know the kids have to go with what we say but i feel it will be even safer still like it was after last july. the security gets stepped up more and more. nowhere is 100% safe anymore so we could go anywhere in the world and it happen there.it is obviously your choice at the end of the day and i wouldn't sway you either way, just give you my opinion. good luck whatever you decide.

nikkim

i don't think you would be put at risk, if the tour operators think its unsafe then you won't be going. flights were still operating july 05 when it happened and many people on here still went and had a ball. it can put a damper on things but even if you could change at short notice, where is safe?? i do feel for everyone though, going this week as its so fresh in our minds.

we can't let them win!

my deepest sympathys for anyone who has lost a loved one.
Kerryandkeith, would echo your sentiments wholeheartedly. Yes, we all make decisions, some right, some wrong, but lets not let anyone else make our decisions for us.
Regards
Annie
SKY NEWS are regularly updating this story.
Arl, I hope you were able to contact your loved ones and my sympathies go out to all the relatives and friends of those kiled and injured.

Like many of you I have a holiday booked in Egypt. It will be my fourth visit in 18 months, the first was to Sharm just 10 days after the bombing in Taba in October 2004.

I cannot say that I do not have any concerns about my forthcoming trip to Hurghada as I will be taking my 16 year old daughter. It will be our first holiday together just the 2 of us and a special treat as she finishes her GCSEs the day before. I have left the final decision to her - I was prepared to lose the cost of the holiday - but she still wants to go.

Everyone must make their own decision and it is always more difficult when making the decision for others, especially young children.

Hope this is the last time we have to discuss this topic on this forum although suspect it won't be ....

Caro
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.