Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi, Thanks for the link, Steve and Jack did a great job, he's been over setting up an education system to reward the children for attaining levels at school and to hopefully encourage them to stay in school longer. There's also an added system to encourage them to save the 'grants' they get.

I apologise to everyone for the lack of newsletters during the past year, things have been so busy helping the children, we've feed more children then ever before, helped more with their education (twice as many as last year), so things just get delayed. I am on a mission now though and will get one out next month at the latest.

Thank you to everyone who have supported us.

Thanks

Rob
Hi Just a quick one to say I've FINALLY finished the newsletter... I will get better, I promise....

Giving out clothes in the slums
While the volunteers and most of the staff had holidays over Christmas Robert, Savita and a couple of the children helped to distribute clothes to around 200 children. We visited slums in Old Goa, Ponda, Colvale, Karaswada and various little slums that we passed on the way. After sorting all the clothes in to size order we gave out t-shirts, trousers, dresses, underwear, hats and lots more. There were clothes for all ages and most of the children received 2 or 3 sets. The children were so well behaved and sat quietly while we found the right size clothes for each child. In addition we gave out a few small presents which were left over. We would also like to thank Deva Bakthan from Bangalore who sent us blankets to give out in the slums.

Children Burnt
Legs BurntOne of our children was badly burnt on Christmas morning as he was sat next to the fire keeping warm. Something, probably an aerosol exploded and sent burning ash and debris towards him, burning his legs, arm and face. Thankfully most missed his face, however his legs were not so lucky and both were badly burnt below the knee. We got a call from the hospital and went over to see him, as you can imagine he was in a great deal of pain and was very distressed. . We assured him we would check on him and take him food daily which went a long way to calming him down. Thankfully on the 2nd day of admission the worst of the pain had subsided and he relaxed. He was discharged after 2 weeks and is back to full strength now the only visible sign of his ordeal being the pale skin where the burn was though this is slowly disappearing.

More here..... http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Newsletters.htm
Hi All...

If you are interested then the new newsletter out... Here's a little bit, lots more stories too, just use the link below...

Child is bitten by a Cobra
In India there is always the chance of seeing a snake, although bites aren't that common. Snakes normally prefer to slither away rather than bite. One of our children however, was unlucky to get bitten by a baby cobra in August. The snake was hiding under a piece of orange peel from the orange she was eating. She knocked the peel with her foot and the little cobra bit her on the foot. The parents caught the snake and took her and the snake to the government hospital, the girl was in a lot of pain and was moved to the Goa Medical College where she was admitted for nearly a week.

Her foot became very swollen and thankfully now, has returned to normal now. The family after being discharged took the girl to their community Ayurvedic doctor who performed a ritual to cleanse her body of any toxins, this consisted of brushing her with leaves.

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Newsletters.htm
Hi All...

There are 4 new sets of photos up on our website here http://www.ChildrenWalkingTall.com/Pictures.htm - Please have a look if you are interested. The newsletter will also be out very shortly (hopefully in the week).

Anyway, is anyone coming this season, things seem to be getting quieter each year...
hi Rob
Less visitors to Mango House these days?
http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Pictures/7-12.htm
What a lovely photo :) She just looks so delighted with her new clothes.
poipleshadow wrote:
Anyway, is anyone coming this season, things seem to be getting quieter each year...

We'll be there, Rob!! Hope to catch up with you!! :tup
Hi Fiona,

Just less visitors in Goa, well British anyway, lots more Russian, we've even had a few Russian visitors which is nice. We don't seem to get as many gifts in kind, perhaps that has something to do with Monarch stopping charity allowance baggage.

Glad you like the photos, and yes she looks so happy doesn't she. :)
Goangirl, thanks, will be nice to see you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.