Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Alvor is by no means at the centre of the Algarve transport network and, as you intend to see more of the Algarve,I would suggest that car hire is almost essential.As a first-time visitor, the drive from the airport to the resort will probably take you the best part of an hour;it's not a difficult drive - just follow signs for the A22,stick with it and get off when you see signs for Alvor.
If, as I seem to gather from your post, you're not too keen on driving abroad, can I suggest that you look at Lagos ,rather than Alvor, as your destination.Lagos has everything that Alvor has to offer- probably a wider choice of beaches- and has the added advantage of being on the Algarve railway network as well as being on the major West coast bus routes.It will certainly be easier to explore the Algarve from Lagos.
Hope I haven't confused you with this information and, if you need any more info on Lagos, just shout.
Thanks Sagres that's helpful. A hire car it is then :D
(we don't mind driving abroad at all, it's simply that it's a first visit for hubby and only my second so neither of us have driven in the Algarve previously)

One more question if I may; were you meaning that Lagos would be a better base if we didn't have a car or a better base for exploring in general? I ask only because we're open to where we stay as long as it's one of the more traditional resorts and as we are DIY'ing I haven't booked anything yet.
With a hire car, there's not a lot of difference between the two places as far as access to the rest of the Algarve is concerned.Without the use of a car,Lagos would give you more options as regards travel as it is on the Algarve railway system and also on the arterial bus route.
Personally,I'd choose Lagos for October - we've been there in October and there's still enough going on to keep it interesting and lots of restaurants still open;having said that, I must confess that I may be a little biased because we've been going there for 20 years and will never get tired of it !!
I must confess that I may be a little biased because we've been going there for 20 years and will never get tired of it !!

:lol: thanks Sagres
Hi Puddle, If you are hiring a car try http://www.economycarhire.com. well recommended and there is no excess on your insurance, so if someone unfortunately bumps your car when you are parked up & not around you will be ok, piece of mind that you wont have any excess payments. Have a look at the website and read the terms & conditions. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks Jayjan, I'll take a look at them now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.