Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Fancying booking your daughter on a holiday without talking to you about it first :yikes You may not have wanted your daughter jetting off without you. Plus they should have discussed the financial aspect of the holiday with you first.

I doubt if she would just be 'taken off the booking'. What usually happens is a deposit is paid and if anyone cancels they loose that deposit.

How old is your daughter?
I agree with Glynis but there is also another problem here. The booking was made by a THIRD PARTY, in this case. The only person who can amend a booking is the LEAD NAME. You will need to get the person who made the booking to do the amendment.

fwh
The lead name will have to make any changes. The travel agent isn't at liberty to discuss the booking with you, due to data protection.
If the lead name does cancel your daughter it would be at loss of deposit, and then the holiday would be re-costed based on the number of remaining passengers.
To be honest as they didn't ask your permission and they have made the booking I am not sure there is anything they can do, I don't see how they can compel you to pay, presumably your daughter is a minor.

Can't believe they did this without asking you first if she is underage.
To put it bluntly, whoever, is the lead passenger on the booking is responsible for the entire cost of the booking. Assuming that your daughter is under 16 then they would need written permission from you to take her on this holiday anyway - without it they could have had real problems checking in and her being allowed to board the plane. I'm surprised that the booking was even accepted without confirmation that they had permission of a parent/guardian to take her out of the country.

SM
SMa is correct. The lead does have full responsibility for the booking, and payment as far as the travel agent is concerned.

Agents don't want authorisation from parents at time of booking. It's got nothing to do with them as long as there is someone over 18 on the booking.

They may be asked for some proof leaving the UK, or entering the destination country, but not definitely. We've taken under 18s away and always had authorisation/consent forms from parents, but never been asked for them leaving the UK or entering Portugal.
We took our niece to the Greek Islands a few years ago, and were asked for a letter of consent both ways - entering AND leaving Greece, so maybe some countries are hotter on it than others...
I think individual countries do vary but also that they are all tightening up because of the growth in human trafficking, especially when it comes to teenage girls. What better way to ship teenage girls around for sexual exploitation than to do it in plain sight as part of a supposedly family group? I know this is going off topic but tighter policing of freight traffic in and out of countries means that fewer and fewer trafficked people are being smuggled through in lorries but are being brought through as passengers on normal transport. So tighter checks are now being made on people travelling with children who aren't their own.

SM
Thank you so much everyone, that is extremely helpful. Our daughter is only just 16. These parents are very different from us - very 'in your face', rather bullying types which is why I have felt extra nervous of any confrontation. We are meeting at the travel agents later. It's good to know what to expect, at least from the agent anyway.
Thank you again, very much
All sorted, cost us £80 to remove her from the booking so worth being able to sleep again :)
Glad you got it sorted sarannie, as for the sake if £80 it isn't worth spoiling your daughters friendship with the girl whose family booked this.

We have taken DD's friend on holiday with us a few times including when she was 17, I booked and paid for the villa and our flights but left it to the parents of the child to book her flight that way it was up to them if she came or not, their credit card etc plus always insisted they supplied insurance details.

Never passed on costs for the villa, food as it was my choice to invite the girl to keep DD company and a villa costs a flat rate regardless.

Wasn't asked for a letter of authorisation on leaving UK or entering either mainland Spain or Minorca though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.