Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Geography is not my strongest subject so forgive me asking but, is there more than one Cyprus? I find the above comments at complete divergence from our own experiences in the Cyprus we have visited for the last seven years. Some establishments in Cyprus, not only Paphos, are expensive and totally lacking in customer service. But in my personal experience they are few and far between.
You have a choice as far as prices are concerned. Look at the price list before you buy. I do that wherever I go, even in the UK. If I consider that they are expensive for what they are offering I take my business elsewhere.
I regularly see questions here on HT asking how much is a pint of beer (not only in Cyprus) and prices paid vary. In Paphos this year they ranged from 1.9 to 3.5 euros so it really is a matter of choice.

Is Cyprus expensive? No more than many other holiday destinations and a lot less than some. I certainly will be going back again in 2011.

fwh
When Cyprus took the euro in January 2007 the ERM was set at Cyp1 Pound = 1.71 Euros and many shops still display the dual pricing. The exchange rate is still the same and shops, bars & restaurants were not allowed to increase prices in the time leading up to the change over.

Sadly, the extremely poor rate of exchange between the UK Pound and the Euro has made prices much more expensive inside the last 2years.

My parents come to visit us every winter for a month and we've seen them getting 1.24 Euro to the UK Pound as opposed to their recent visit when they were lucky to get 1.16. Last winter was even worse and they were getting around 1.09 for every 1 Pound.

Yes, some prices have increased but not so much as you may believe. We eat out fairly regularly and one Lebanese restaurant we go to for a special treat had it's meze at Cyp 12.00 and is now 20 Euros which is actually a little under the actual rate set.

A restaurant on the main tourist strip in Potamos Germasoyia (Limassol) offers a 3 course meal for 13 Euros.

The hotel where my parents just stayed charged us 10.50 Euros each to eat in the restaurant of an evening and the cost of their accommodation on a half board basis for 28 nights was GBP 800 for both of them - booked through Sunshine.co.uk

Paphos has always been more expensive, possibly due to a large expat retirement residency but also because its' an all year round holiday destination. A fair number of the expat community has suggested it may be coming to a time to move on but this is mainly because they are dependent on their UK pensions, which all have to go through the abysmal exchange rate and leading to a loss of their income.

It's one of the reasons why holiday destinations such as Egypt and Turkey have been more popular in recent years where they do not use the Euro. You only need to look on this forum to see which of the destinations are high or low in activity to work out what's going on.....

Luckily, we are not retired and due to the nature of my job here in Cyprus I have what is classed as a good income for Cyprus residents. My salary is paid in the local currency so no crappy exchange rates for me to deal with. On top of that - taking into consideration you do not pay tax here unless your income is above 19,000 Euros per annum and mine is around 3,000 below that at the moment, all is good for us and has been since we arrived.

We've been living in Limassol since March 2004 and have not yet set foot back in UK. We do take a holiday every year but tend to go to Egypt or take one of the short cruises out of Limassol and also to Malta in February to meet up with my parents when they holiday there for a month.

There are cheap places to eat in Cyprus and also expensive too. In Paphos, it's best to avoid eating or drinking anywhere that's close to the harbour as it will always be more expensive.

I recall being in Florence in November 2000 and 3 of us had a cappuccino in the square where they filmed one of the part of the Anthony Hopkins scenes from the follow up to Silence of the Lambs. It cost us the equivalent of 13.50 UK Pounds and that's 10 years ago! Although it came as a bit of a shock, it didn't detract from our overall experience....

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
fwh - you asked the question "Is there more than one Cyprus".

As I said in my post, my observations are only based upon Paphos.

When we went in Aug 2008 and I accept it may be different now, restaurant and bar prices were more or less the same - irrespective of where you chose.

We stayed self-catering as we prefer to eat out. The local mini market was like going back to the 1970's - apart from their prices that were more like 2018! Run by an old woman, on two occasions she tried to short-change my teenage Son when he brought sweets - maybe this was a genuine error? Unlikely, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she just gave up trying when she realised that he could add up. However, it's silly little things like this that add to the feeling that people are trying to rip you off.

Taxi's were charging whatever they wanted. When I asked a couple of taxi drivers why they didn't have their meters running, the response was always the same - "we haven't got around to it since the currency change over".

We stayed at the King Jason Apartments and these were excellent (as I believe I posted elsewhere at the time). Taxi prices from the main town back to there (around 2 miles?) were often initially quoted between 12 to 15 Euros - and you had to bait them down. The charge was often knocked down to 8 Euros. Sorry, but bartering isn't my game - if I wanted that, I'd go to Egypt. The only saving grace was that the vast majority of taxis were older Mercedes (primarily W124's) , and as a Classic Merc enthusiast, I was in my element.

Service, on the whole, was not just poor, it was dire. I did notice a number of restaurants had Eastern European waitresses and they had an attitude problem beyond belief. Okay, their English may have been lacking, but a smile is a smile in anyone's language! Then again, as I've mentioned, even the locals seemed disinterested; we were so polite to one woman on the till in the Paphos Mall, and didn't even get a thank you - she threw the change onto the side rather than put it into my Wife's hand. On another occasion, we bought some pretty expensive perfume and aftershave (I wish some Cypriots would - I know it's hot in August but we were talking B.O. City in some places) and the entire transaction at the till was (yet again) conducted without a single word from the disinterested looking Cypriot girl assistant. Speaking of hygiene, some of the toilets (primarily in the bars) were disgusting. Don't they sell toilet blocks for urinals in Paphos?

I'm sorry but my overall impression was simply that the Cypriots did not want us there. Look, our dissatisfaction with the holiday wasn't just about cost - but much more about the attitude (and I mean attitude) of most Cypriots that we met. I have to say that this is in total contrast to the three Cypriot guys I've worked with back in the UK over the past few years (2 Greek/1 Turkish) - but then, they aren't from Paphos and have lived in the UK for a number of years. We, nor the couple we went with, expect red carpet treatment and I truly believe that we are outgoing, friendly and down to earth. In return, we were generally treated abysmally and vowed never to go back (it was actually our friend's second [and last] visit to the Country). We only take one European Holiday a year and I can never remember looking forward for ANY holiday to end - apart from this one.

Over the past two years, I've spoken to some work colleagues who have also been to Cyprus - albeit not Paphos. I can honestly say that it's not just the prices but the extremely poor service and unwelcome feeling that has been the topic of their conversations also; so I can only assume that it wasn't us being overly critical. I know that the Euro hasn't helped but when you are on holiday, the very least you expect is to be made to feel welcome. Money, bartering, quality, cleanliness, etc. aside, civility, good manners and generally being respectful, costs absolutely nothing does it.

Maybe, we just picked the wrong place. That said, as someone has said that Paphos is an all year round tourist destination, then they really have no excuses whatsoever do they - they really need to do better.....that's if they really care - which I genuinely doubt!
Blackpool, the Tower of London etc are not the 'real' England, just as Paphos is not the real Cyprus.
They are all tourist places where you expect to get ripp......err expect to pay premium prices.

Get off the tourist track. Go find the REAL Cyprus!! You'll be pleasantly surprised.

P.S: Prices seemed high in 2008 because of the transition from Cyprus Pounds to the Euro and the Pound Sterling rate against the Euro.
Things have levelled out since.
With all due respect, it's quite difficult finding the 'real' anywhere when you have never been to a Country before.

Moreover, to use Blackpool as a comparison as not being the 'real' England is absolutely ludicrous - I've been going there most September's since 1978 for the illuminations, and hoteliers/their staff are extremely friendly.

As for tourist locations. Well with all due respect, Cala Galdana is a tourist area in Minorca; Puerto De La Cruz is a tourist area in Tenerife - and we have never failed to receive anything other than an excellent service from every restaurant and bar we have visited - as well as being made to feel welcome in both Countries.

You state Cyprus seemed expensive - sorry but let's get this right - it actually WAS expensive. To charge 4 Euro's for a pint of locally brewed lager; 17 Euros for a 'frozen steak and thereafter quoting a taxi ride at 15 Euro's (for what in England is considered a 'local' run of 2 miles) was simply an attempt at exploitation.

We can only commit to one European Holiday a year and sorry, we won't EVER revisit Cyprus and put another Cent into the place.

We'd rather go to Blackpool! ;)
We were in Protaras in July/August and although the local lager was cheaper the prices for steak and the taxi fares are on par with what you paid a couple of years ago so things are no better. Not being a lager drinker myself I thought that some of the prices were shocking.

I wish I had read more varied resort reports before I booked as I still maintain that sadly the place was no-where near as good as I was expecting it to be.
I have no idea where you bought your beer, but we paid less than £2 a pint and found food prices cheaper than the UK, Compared to 1996 when we first went to Limossol , we exchanged per £100 - 66 cy pounds, now that was expensive. I have just found my usual hotel in Pernera next July for 2 adults £1300 for half board, well cheap.
Beer at less than £2 a pint and food CHEAPER than the UK? So you can actually get a fresh steak in Cyprus now for less than 8 Euros can you? I'm sure people going to Cyprus would like to know the names of the restaurants and bars that you frequent. I'm not calling you a liar as I don't know you from adam. However, if I'm really honest, I just can't see for the life of me that Cyprus is now cheaper than the UK and it certainly doesn't mirror other comments on this thread whereby, even people living there, have said prices have levelled out - at best.

In any event, you are still visiting a country where it's people don't apparently want you (or that's the impression that I [and others] got anyway).

Anyway, best of luck.
don't know about food so much [we go half board] but last year in protaras Beer [keo/Leon]could be found quite easy at €2 large draught [approx pint] and €1-50 small [approx half pint] without going too far from our hotel,
So you can actually get a fresh steak in Cyprus now for less than 8 Euros can you? I'm sure people going to Cyprus would like to know the names of the restaurants and bars that you frequent.

No, but I can tell you the name of a restaurant in the main tourist strip in Limassol that offers a monster of a menu with a choice of 3 courses at 13.50 Euros per person.

And, if the big guy called Mike is on the door, he may even chuck in a bottle of house wine :cheers

Come out of the Apollonia Hotel and turn left (towards the old port) and it's on your left. The name escapes me for the minute but I'll check next time I'm in town!
Actually i never bought steak in resort as i was half board so didn't have to, i was referring to how expensive it was to holiday in Limassol in 1996, changing £100 sterling (we exchanged t/c we only got £66 cy pounds, the exchange rate was poor. I stayed in Pernera near protaras, we know a guy from a restaurant that sold keo 1.99 Euros a pint, most around there were that price. The chalked up menus displayed a 3 course meal for £10, so anyone on a budget would have a selection of those to choose from. I agree that self catering isn't maybe an ideal option as supermarkets in resort are dearer, but away from the main drag is cheaper to eat and buy food.

I find the Cypriot people very pleasant, and enjoy having drinks with them. I have only been 5 times, but its where my heart is after having my marriage vows renewed.
Interesting to note people's comments.

Must ask this however - have the taxi drivers in Paphos got their meters converted over yet (as it's apparently mandatory by the Cypriot carriage office that taxis have these in use) -I won't bore you with why I have this particular interest! ;)
High prices, poor service,the expensive taxi rides,body odour,miserable eastern europeans and smelly toilets. Apart from all this....was it still ok. :rofl
The taxi drivers (particularly those at Paphos airport) seem to be a law unto themselves.

We don't use taxi's so often nowadays but the ones in our suburb of Limassol, we always pre-agree the cost for our return journeys. If we've used them in the town, again - we always ask the price before we get in and if we don't like the price they give us we tell them we're not interested.

I think very few of them use the meters but if you insist, that's what they should do. They can always be reported to the CTO.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Whilst not belittling anyone I do find it rather amusing when people post on this topic - Not only in this forum but all the otherrs. There always seems to be posts about the cost of things no matter what destination. Cost has never been uppermost in my mind when choosing a holiday, although rising costs in Spain a few years ago did cause us to rethink Cyprus which we had always been told was expensive. Yes prices have gone up in many places, but then so has the standard of living for many of them. The days of retiring to somewhere in the sun and living like a lord have gone. And quite right too. As far as Cyprus is concerned in our experience it is just a case looking round. If you go straight into a bar and pay 4 euroes for a pint whithout checking first then tough. There are plenty of nice welcoming places in our experience that are reasonably priced.
It is just like the UK really. Last Sunday we drove out to the Fleece at Holme. Just at the foot of Holme Moss. First class in every way with a good selection of real ale. Most expensive main is £10.95 except for steaks. Will be visiting again on Monday after our walk. Plenty of places selling food and drink for a lot more and not as good. Pays your money and makes your choice.

fwh
I actually agree with you fwh, i reason majority have a budget to go away on, and i may possibly get my head bitten off by saying that holiday makers are spending to much time checking prices and counting the pounds all the time should they really be on holiday abroad? Most would do the home work before hand, to see if it is a holiday thats fits in well with there budget, i would never go anywhere where i could not afford to go. If i felt it to expensive in Cyprus i would either switch my holiday or in resort ask locals where the better places are to get fresh produce or indeed eat out where they generally go. In the UK if buying a pint, most would just pay it without question, but in Cyprus it varies a little, i feel the food is a whole lot better service, all have a smile, good size portions and looks appetising, and the restaurants are clean. I do not feel the same service is portrayed in the UK, not all the time anyway.
I have to agree with both of you....

It will always be the same wherever you go the world over. You can find cheap or expensive pretty much side by side.

We've been living here in Cyprus now for almost 7yrs and in that time we haven't set foot back in UK. We do go on holiday out of Cyprus and tend to visit Egypt (Luxor is our favourite place) and Malta to catch up with my parents when they go out there on holiday. We've also taken a number of mini-cruises to Lebanon and/or Syria.

At the end of the day, we're an island stuck in the middle of the Mediterranean and do not talk or recognise our nearest neighbours of Turkey so cannot get our hands on low priced imports so easily. Pretty much everything except Keo, Carlsberg, Coca Cola and Cyprus potatoes have to be imported! LOL

The beauty of Cyprus is that old and new still survive side by side and this is more commonplace in Limassol, Larnaca, parts of the old town of Paphos and Nicosia. Newer resorts (I remember Ayia Napa when it was still a fishing village with nothing else except a couple of restaurants and a church) have little character but even so, you can find cheap and cheerful beside blisteringly expensive.

It's a case of getting a little off the seafront and searching around. If you see somewhere frequented by "locals" (and I don't mean the young and trendy folk of Cyprus who spend their time in expensive coffee bars of the "see and be seen" brigade) who are eating, you can be assured the food will be good, plentiful and relatively cheap.

However, in Cyprus there's still a tiered price system..... Tourist, residents and local - but you won't find them displayed that way on any menu ;)

It works exactly the same way in Egypt too!

Shell,
Limassol.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.