Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Three adults in the Konia tavern Pafos area last week, total cost for the three of us was £22 cyp with drinks, and a free brandy each at the end of the night!!! also fresh local fruit to finish off, yes £22...ask Jac's..some say Cyprus is expensive, all I can say is they do not know Cyprus.

Also I can eat, but we left so much food as to make there profits useless, I just don't know how they do it! for the money..
Hiya,

Cyprus is the third largest Island in the Med - but is extremely accessible.

I have only visited the Western Coast around Paphos but there is plenty to do in this area.

August is a hot month, well June, July Aug & even Septemeber are hot months with an average temp of 30 C +.

Paphos is a cultural hub with the Tombs of the Kings, Paphos Mosiacs and the Kurion just a short drive away.

There is a wonderful beach at Coral Bay with all the watersports you could imagine.

The historic Harbour boasts some lovely bars arnd restaurants.

The Troodos Mountains are a short dive (1hour) away.

There is so much more to say but you just need to go and explore.

Good Luck - wherever you choose I'm sure you will have a great time.

Regards

Stewart
Stewart nice harbour area but do not try to get a reasonably priced meal there, very expensive and touristy, look further afield..
Agreed Jim, but not many tourists stray from the popular areas.

I would personally suggest a self catering holiday - all inclusives in Cyprus get some bad reviews, and the quality doesn't compare with the tavernas.

After around a dozen holidays in Cyprus we've only ever had 2 bad meals, so explore during the daytime and make a note of a taverna that "takes your fancy".

You will be able to find tavernas - even around the tourist areas - which will do set meals for around £6 Cyp each. Wine is cheap in Cyprus, so I'd say a meal for 3 with drinks could be as little as £25 Cyp (about £28 UK)

Of-course there's always the "meze" for around £7 each and you won't want to eat for 2 days after.

Also, self catering allows you to make full use of the local produce, and there are several large supermarkets in Cyprus such as Orphanides where local fruit and veg is very cheap. We usually make a chilli while there - actually great fun with 2 hobs and a toaster - only using fresh Cyprus food - and served with a huge Cyprus red potato.

Also a good way of reining in the spending for a day or two!

regards,

Richie
Richie... why suffer with "2 hobs and a toaster" when you could have a real kitchen with full-size oven/hob, washer/dryer etc. by going S/C in any of the hundreds of villas/apartments available to let?

Is it for the entertainment and daily maid service you get in a hotel?

You can also get two or three bedrooms instead of squashing the kids in the same room.

And Finches... I'd go DIY for variety but expect to pay similar prices to the UK unless you go out of the tourist areas. But then you can't all enjoy your drinks with the meal :(

Marion
Hi Marion,

I'm thinking on the cost aspect really.

As you know flights to Cyprus ain't cheap - especially if you have to fly on a specific date/time.

From experience I've often found s/c holidays can often be cheaper than just the flight alone. Add to that the price of a villa and the cost increases again.

From our point of view we also prefer a s/c apartment as we'd be a tad worried about breakages in a villa - we do tend to get a bit thirsty in Cyprus and I'm notoriously clumsy at the best of times.

If and when regular cheap flights start flying to Cyprus (and I'm not holding my breath), flight & villa rental may become more competitive, but time will tell.

regards,

Richie
Thanks, Richie. Fair enough. Good points.

Marion
I've just returned from Cyprus , it was my 4th visit there , and it is my favourite place anywhere in the world , but i found it very expensive and judging by the prices which are displayed in euros in anticipation of the change on 1st Jan, it is gonna be around 75%more expensive than somewhere like Spain...but don't let that put you offf, it's beautiful
Expensive NEVER!!! how why ? I have posted a cost of a meal above, this is normal for us to pay, regarding the euro price next to the Cy£ price that is the converted figure, this is the same!!! it is a guide for locals so we can get used to the change over early in the new year, so how can you say prices will go up 75% more than Spain????? sorry you are way off beam.
Expensive? Not on your nelly!
A meze, which stopped just before we exploded, plus drinks for 2 in (V)Oroklini CY£18, with free brandy and liqueur at the end.
Another meal for 2, in Pissouri, with drinks, CY£14

Finches, DIY all the way!
It gives you so much more freedom. It may work out a tad more expensive, but we feel it's well worth it.

This year, as usual, we did a 2 centre holiday, 1 week in Larnaca, 1 week in Pissouri, about £850 Sterling, including flights and 2 weeks car hire.
Admittedly, food is extra but you are not stuck eating in the same place every night and every day. What if the hotel restaurant is cr*p? You've already paid for ALL your meals there!

I'd never even consider AI! Much too restrictive for us free spirits. :wink:

Mark
Having spent 2 weeks SC in Spain in July and 2 weeks HB in Cyprus (which we ate out 5 times as the hotel food was poor) returning on sunday 28th Oct , i can say with confidence that Cyprus is a lot more expensive than Spain..i'm not knocking Cyprus ,it is my favourite place and i am looking at going back next year but i have to say things as i found them and i found it very expensive....Food, Drink, and car hire we're all a lot more expensive than Spain...I'm sure there are cheaper places to eat anywhere you go (even in the UK) but generally an example of a Mexican Restaraunt we ate at charged us the equivalent of 78 euros for a meal for 4 (inc starters, drinks and desserts for the kids) and a similar meal in Spain cost us 45 euros...super market(Orphinides) prices were pretty similar to those in Spain.
3 days car hire was £ CYP 64, in Spain it was 60 euros
I think you are wrong definitely, I have been to Spain many times but never found it cheap to eat out, I am a big fan of Tapas bars and I always spent far more in there for similar Meze type food you get in Cyprus, the very fact I posted above was for the cost for normal food not Cypriot food as such, although I did have my favourite Stifado (beef stew), again I have never found in the parts of the EU eating out cheaper than you can here in Cy...maybe you ate out in expensive tourist areas this I don't know, but for sure where we go and members above Cy is not expensive, in fact cheap and also very cheerful..

regards
Jimbox, we did out in tourist areas both in Cyprus (Protaras, Pernera) and Spain (Torrevieja, Playa Flamenca) as we were there on holiday...i'm sure there are cheaper places to eat if you know where to go ,just as there are in the UK, which is the most expensive EU country BTW (and i've spent quite a lot of time in Sweden over the years and that used to be unbelievably expensive)....I've not fallen out of love with Cyprus in fact i love the place even more after this vist :D , i just know i will have to take a bit more cash next time.

Ian
I will scan our bill for the next time, just to prove my point for you..meanwhile I will keep finding those cheap venues that sell good food, and post them on my restaurant section on CL...

More cash WHY? do your home work, it will save you money by the sound of it, also you have not said why you got confused on that duel pricing?

Jim by the way!!
Jim we all know its cheaper where the locals eat and dont disagree with you.

I myself like to have a drink when I eat and wont drink and drive, so I usually stay local. If I resorted to using taxis then it defeats the whole object of saving money by eating where the locals do. Unfortunately for me I am not keen on Meze , so thats a price I pay for eating in the tourists area. I like the Italians, Chinese and Mexican restaurants. Thats what I like to do on holiday.

In defence of Spain, I personally find the tourist areas in general cheaper than the tourist areas in Cyprus.

You know how much I love Cyprus but I have to say that the price I paid to stay B&B in my usual hotel this year was not far short of what I paid to go on a Caribbean cruise last year and that was all food included.

That said, I am happy to pay the prices asked, because I love the country so much.

Kath x
Kath no excuses really, I could walk even in my state to a cheap eating restaurant from any hotel you use, but taste is all consuming and if you are only prepared to fall out of your hotel into the nearest rip off restaurant then there is no point in discussing this subject is there? if on the other hand you are telling all and sundry Cyprus is expensive then this just ain't true is it, it is a misleading comment, it just may put some off coming to Cyprus..

Cyprus is NOT expensive to eat in, and you do not need to be a local to find there are better cheaper eating places, if you don't believe me Kath then ask Jac's she was one of the three of us who only paid £22 for all of us, and Konia does not need a compass to find, most tourist hire cars don't they? you can drive back to get a drink if you wish, Cy is cheaper than most not all Med destinations, certaily comparing it with Spain, I am sorry but also read Mark's comments, if you are not prepared to believe those who live here, then Forums are a waste time Kath..I tell it as it is..warts and all..

Bye for now..
if you don't believe me Kath then ask Jac's she was one of the three of us who only paid £22 for all of us

Jim, where did I say I didn't believe you, and why would I believe Jacs more than you ? I know you can eat cheaper than the tourist haunts, but I am talking about people being on holiday, who may not want to go to the trouble of searching for somewhere cheaper or further out.

Konia does not need a compass to find, most tourist hire cars don't they? you can drive back to get a drink if you wish

Jim. I know exactly where Konia is, but I am sorry we prefer to drink with our meals.

and if you are only prepared to fall out of your hotel into the nearest rip off restaurant then there is no point in discussing this subject is there

That's very unfair Jim, You know exactly the reason why (as you say) 'we fall out of our hotel'!

I am just stating facts as I see and experience them and not disagreeing with you. Hotel prices have increased no doubt about it, but as I said I am prepared to pay the price because thats what I want from a holiday!

Kath x
Jim,

I don't think anyone's challenging your view - I (as most Cyprus visitors) am also fully aware that there are cheaper places away from the tourist area.

Maybe a list of reasonably priced tavernas in and around the tourist areas may be useful?

Don't forget, you're dealing with people who may be visiting Cyprus for the first time, may only have 7 days there and have kids in tow. Not always easy to scout around so your expertise may be very useful.
Kath..

Good but no need for the edited slots ..I think I am correct in what I said, if you or others chose to believe what some say then so be it, I will keep my hard earned in my pocket..that figure of that meal was a true one..just tell me how is that expensive? you can say all you like but it is cheap to eat out here. (again)

Try a taxi Kath if you do not wish to drive, you won't lose money as it will save you cash, and that taxi driver will tell you the best places to eat and also where the locals eat, or you can just phone me and I will pick you up, you have my number.

And Baggie hello..

That is the point of recommending them where to eat, it could save them a lot of cash, but no point of doing this is if the response we get on HT, I am only trying to help, but it seems to me and others I am wasting my time here...

As to hotels never use them ever, sooner have a villa hire my own pool etc, any day...and cheaper in the long run!!

good bye all...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.