Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
What I (and Jim, probably) fail to understand is why people who are not willing to wander slightly off the beaten, tourist track complain about high prices. There are plenty of traditional tavernas, frequented by locals, just a short walk from most tourist areas, charging reasonable prices. You do not need a car to eat well and reasonably cheaply.

I've been going to cyprus for 20 years and have eaten in tourist hot-spots, had an average meal but paid for the convenience. Convenience, by definition, does not come cheap. Think about it. Not all tourists hire cars, so are a fairly captive audience for bars, restaurants etc, so they can (and will) get away with charging higher prices.

We always hire a car for the full duration of our holiday and head away from touristy areas most nights. I like a drink with meals, but it is not an addiction. Like, not need.

What's wrong with one alcoholic drink at the start of your meal, water or a soft drink during the meal, then another alcoholic drink to finish.

My Partner does not drive, so I'm "Permanent Designated Driver", but what about sharing the driving, if possible?

Cyprus is NOT expensive.
Cyprus' tourist areas may well be.

Mark
Member of the International League of Pedants.
Motto: 'Accuracy Over Tact.'
Points taken Mark. However, I prefer to stay completely alcohol free when driving. Just a personal choice.

I also have other personal reasons for staying local.

Kath x
Taxi Kath....unfortunately Kath you are giving the wrong information for future holiday makers here, it is wrong in my opinion to do so and incorrect information, I will prove this to anyone..this thread started about information on Cyprus, I have tried to answer this truly as I can, a member says it is expensive in Cyprus, this clearly is not the case, I do not know what to say regarding any member reading this but I am willing to show them just how reasonable Cyprus is, as in any country in the world you can look for the most expensive restaurants to eat, BaggieBoy says what about families with your children, well I can think of at least ten restaurants in Kato Paphos (walking distance from most hotels) that have fixed menus of the three course sort for under six pounds, also I can take you to a very expensive restaurant that will charge you £50 a head, but only deep pocket need go there, if you chose to pay those prices well it is obviously your choice, but then do not tell others how expensive Cy is, again it is not expensive in any way apart from getting here...

Definitely my last word on this topic, it is not the first time this has come up, and apart from dragging tourist to these eating places I just give up and let you get on with it, I am sorry if I have upset you in any way, I just hate to see this injustice being bantered about..
also you have not said why you got confused on that duel pricing?

Sorry Jim, you've got me there ,where did i say the dual pricing confused me ?, i actually found it easier to compare the prices where the euro price was stated.
I have just returned from Protaras 3 weeks ago and was paying 20-30 CYP for two courses and drinks, which is not bad. The only thing i would say is that if you live there, you have got the time to find the cheap places to go, in two weeks you havent. How many times do people say, you should have gone here or there, this annoys me as if you are going for the first time you do tend to stop in the touristy areas, how many people with young kids would say lets walk a mile tonight and see if we can eat cheaper. I love Cyprus having been 8 times, and i will continue to go no matter what it costs, i have said many times if people find it is too expensive then dont go.
Jim,

I would repeat my previous suggestion (BaggieBoy says what about families with your children, well I can think of at least ten restaurants in Kato Paphos (walking distance from most hotels) that have fixed menus of the three course sort for under six pounds) of providing potential holiday makers with a few suggestions - your knowledge would be very useful for them.

I agree they are there - but I only started looking further afield after a few (expensive) days of my first holiday in Cyprus. If some recommendations were made here it could save tourists a lot of money

Richie
If we're going to suggest places that are good value for families on a budget AND within walking distance of hotels, then I would say Anatolia in Protaras or if you're in Kato Paphos then Adelaida just up from the harbour. Both these offer a reasonable meal at a good price. Of course you can eat better and cheaper in the villages outside the main tourist areas, but most people eat near to where they are staying for the reasons already given.
but, keep them coming as they all make interesting and informative reading.

Many thanks
and that taxi driver will tell you the best places to eat and also where the locals eat

We also found that taxi drivers had money off vouchers for things like the water park at Ayia Napa
Askcy, we tried our hardest to find these vouchers last month. Needless to say we only came across some after we had been to the waterpark ! A great day out though, but definately not cheap.
Getting back to the original theme , our suggestion is to go DIY, why go to Cyprus and not sample the many different dishes there are. :lol:
We have to agree with Kath and say if you don't know the place then things can be expensive :cry: but it really isn't worth getting upset about it. My brother in law is a Cypriot and so my niece and nephew half Cypriot, we have been going for 14years but it would seem very pompous and arrogant for us to assume we knew all about the place and not let people have their opinions :shrug Chill out, life is too short!! :tup
Amber and Karl :wave :yipee
During the summer there were vouchers available from the Supermarket, Papentonoiu when you spent so much.

The vouchers allowed a discounted entry to Aphrodite's Waterpark in Paphos - we went twice - the kids loved it!!!

We found out about the vouchers from the Cyprus Living website.

I'll be keeping an eye out for any similar vouchers next year.

Stewart
Hello everybody!!!

I want to know if the holidays in Cuprus are expensive..
How much cost the food out for two persons...and appartment prices per day...
thank you!!
Apartment prices - it all depends on where you want to stay, close to the action or a bit further away and what facilities you want at the apartments

Food - again it depends on what you have and where you go
Not really sure how the Euro has affected pricing yet in Cyprus. Reports coming back from friends over their indicate in some areas prices have jumped by up to 30% and a cup of coffee can cost in excess of £3.00. Tourist resort prices will always be more expensive than rural areas. Base your spending as you would in the UK and you won't go far wrong. Apartment prices vary depending on what star rating you are looking for and the location. April/May & October generally cheaper.
Sorry I do have to disagree with some of the postings. I've been a regular visitor to Cyprus for the past 9 years and adore the island, so much so I couldn't contemplate going anywhere else but I have seen prices steadily rise in the tourist areas and I've never found anywhere where I can get a two course meal with a drink for 22CYP certainly not in the last four years. I'm not doubting Jim for one second that it can be done if you know where to go but generally for the average tourist staying in Protaras, Pernera & Ayia Napa on the south eastern side of the island where I stay a set meal will average out at 8.95CYP (last year)without drinks, tag on a couple of pre dinner drinks and a bottle of wine and you are up to the 33CYP mark for two - travel further afield to find non touristy Cypriot tavernas, as I do, and you then have to tag on the price of a taxi. I don't begrude one penny (in fact I believe I shore up the whole Cypriot economy when I stay) but last year we took 1500GBP for the two of us because, apart from the early morning cuppa, I don't pay homage to the kitchen. On the last day we were coppering up to get home! Its no good telling Mr & Mrs Average with 2.4 children that Cyprus is cheap - it isn't - if you are prepared to source out your local restaurants then yes you will profer better but the average tourist with a couple of kids isn't going to want to trawl all over the place looking for a bargain meal, they've only got two weeks and every minute counts. It will be very interesting to have reports back from tourists advising how the Euro has affected pricing - perhaps Jim as a resident can help us all there. I hope my information is wrong but I have friends in Cyprus who advise prices have already risen by 30% despite an assurance by the Cypriot Government that prices were to be rounded down, not up. I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel twice yearly because we get a cut price rate with our apartment owners as returning guests but again, there are no real cheap flight routes into Cyprus despite what EasyJet proclaim to offer. You can be lucky to bag a flight as I did in January for £170GBP - that same flight is now £250.
I write regularly on the TripAdvisor web site as a destination expert for the south east of Cyprus so please believe me I do know what I am talking about when it comes to pricing and am not simply trying to stir up an argument.
I fear this is where the All Inclusive is going to become predominent in Cyprus which is a shame as it will make it tough for the local restaurant owners. We shall see. Roll on May when I return.
Regards
As a new member I don't suppose demen is familiar with the forum and as the last post was back in October in that thread it more than likely was not on the front page when they posted.
Which is why I pointed him in the right direction as I suspected not many would reply due to all the previous posts on the very same subject over the last 6 months :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.