Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
nejulie wrote:
Really enjoying reading your report love you style and attention to detail

Thank you.

I have just loaded some interesting photo's of downtown Mumbai as seen from the plane at about 1000ft on the final approach, January 2011. Zoom in for slightly better detail. My flick'r account http://www.flickr.com/photos/goa2011/5679652294/
One of the most interesting and informative reports I have ever read, many thanks.

xx lassi
We were at the point of booking a flight in to Kerala and out of Goa, using the overnight sleeper to go north ( Ist class although I gather there isn't a lot of difference !) We changed our minds and booked an holiday to Kenya instead. Glad we did now !!! cheers Dave
a great read Calangute so enjoying your blog... we did that trip to Kerala from Goa :duh keep it coming
Chilly :tup
A great report. We did Kerala but toured around for 5 days with a private car, driver and guide - the safe comfortable way for 2 women. A beautiful country.
Calangute to Kerala Conclusion....

Munnar is a small town, perhaps by British standards more of a large village. It's the principle settlement for the area and a starting point for tourists eager to begin their exploration of the Ghats. Hotels, a couple of banks, cafes and restaurants and of course a market place where the chicken for dinner is still running around.. It's a bustling place, with tuktuks and taxis lined up either side of the main street. I didn't have to spend too long finding a room, clean and at a very reasonable cost. Time to explore and experience the breathtaking, awe-inspiring scenery as glimpsed from the bus. There isn't a great deal of scenery to see from the town, so a walk of discovery is necessary. 20 minutes walking along national highway 49 leads further into the hills, with valleys below, mountain tops above and tea plantations as far as the eye can see! Another ½ hour walking in the opposite direction leads to a tea processing factory with a small museum attached. An interesting 40 minutes can be spent here observing the process that ends up in your tea bags. A 10 minute movie on how it all started with the British is shown at the start of the tour.

The climate is hot by day, but distinctly cool at night - cold enough for the locals to don coats and hats. There is a noticeable absence of the humidity that is endured in the lowlands and around costal regions. As in Kochi, restaurants and cafes here are clean, numerous but unsurprisingly focus on native cuisine. Prices here, and in Kerala generally are about 1/3rd less comparing like for like with Goan prices. An evening meal from a set menu will cost about 90 rupees, glass of coffee 12 rupees and a fresh juice 40 rupees. Buses to Kochi are frequent, about every 45 minutes throughout the day, with the last bus leaving 8.30pm. The journey back was another experience altogether. An old bus, no glass in the windows and the downhill ride was a little hair-raising to say the least! This time the fare was less but the journey longer with frequent stops, but the view with a lower sun was absolutely stunning.

Expense account 70 rupees = 1 ukp

Train fare Goa-Kocni = 400 rupees
Train fare to correct mistake= 26 rupees
Plane ticket to Goa= 5100 rupees
Hotel room Kochi= 600 rupees
Coffee= 12 rupees
Meal= 70 rupees
Internet 1 hour= 20 rupees
Bus to Munnar Hill Station= 101 rupees
Hotel Room Munnar= 500 rupees
Entrance tea museum= 75 rupees
TukTuk to tea museum= 50 rupees
Meal, coffee, juice= 150 rupees
Breakfast= 70 rupees
Lunch= 100 rupees
3 coffees= 20 rupees
Bus to Kochi= 85 rupees
Hotel Kochi= 600 rupees
Meal, coffee and juice= 110 rupees
TukTuk to Kochi airport= 300 rupees

8389 rupees = 119.84 ukp
Lovely report calangute great detail fab for those of us who have never been to that part of india..
A great report, you really did have an adventure and lots of memories.
Random Jottings Tuesday 25th January 2011

Beach life continues"¦

Beach again, soaking up the Indian winter sunshine, and occasionally finding shade beside a fishing boat. Walking back from Xavier's as the sun began to sink I noticed goose bumps on my arm - yes the temperature had dropped slightly, from 31 to about 27 would be a reasonable estimate - cool. Getting used to waving on the hawkers - no thanks, not today or tomorrow. Young boys selling tea, young girls selling snacks, women balancing fruit bowls on their head, garments, jewelery...the list go's on and it's all available on the beach!

Todays Expense Account

Porridge and mug of tea 85r 1.21 ukp
Noodles and 2 roti 58r 82p
Mug of tea 25r 35p
Room Bill 500r 7.14 ukp

Total 11.41 ukp
Hi Paul,

Loved reading your random jottings, would love to see your pics but the link aint working for me, tried searching for you by name on FB but to no avail. HELP please

Regads
Mike
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.