Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
He, He, :rofl the seats are benches so you can decide which way you sit on them! :)
You can sit sideways then you see inland and the sea. :rofl
We were there a couple of weeks ago and I had a good look at the "tracks". They are just the edges of sunken wooden boards and certainly couldn't be used to run any vehicles on. A local Brit shopkeeper told us that it was the base for a new beachside roadway. Whether by this she meant a wide path like runs all the way to PDLA I'm not sure but certainly it didn't look like a tramway, there was no continuation from the Los Cristianos beach toward PDLA. Between these boards were concrete channels so maybe it is something to do with a drainage system as well, but definitely not a tramway.
We were there a couple of weeks ago and I had a good look at the "tracks". They are just the edges of sunken wooden boards and certainly couldn't be used to run any vehicles on. A local Brit shopkeeper told us that it was the base for a new beachside roadway. Whether by this she meant a wide path like runs all the way to PDLA I'm not sure but certainly it didn't look like a tramway, there was no continuation from the Los Cristianos beach toward PDLA. Between these boards were concrete channels so maybe it is something to do with a drainage system as well, but definitely not a tramway.

No, it's a boardwalk. They are currently screwing down the boards as I said earlier, over the drainage channels below. The wooden 'rails' are nothing but supports and fixings for the boards. They have widened the promenade around this area by around 50% and added loads of benches. It shouldn't be too much longer before it's all finished and it's going to be a big improvement for the Los Cristianos beach area.
They have now put seats facing the benches and the sea! So if someone is sitting on a bench looking up to the mountains you can sit on a seat and stare at them! :rofl :rofl or if your on a seat looking at the sea they can sit on a bench and stare at you! :rofl :rofl
When is it all expected to be finished?

Hope it will improve the area, last time we were there a few years ago the sea front at the far end of Los Christianos looked very neglected.
The work looked close to being finished when I passed by during the week. If by the 'far end of the beach' you mean the rocky section in front of the Arona Gran hotel, this part is still undeveloped. They have, however, cleaned it up a bit and put more sand down to make it look tidier. The plan for years has been to develop the beach all the way to the Arona Gran but there have been numerous hold-up's with properties close to, or on the beach. It would be great to see it all cleaned up but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Yes. I couldn't remember the name of the hotel but it is in front of the Arona Gran. Glad they are smartening up the area. Looking forward to seeing it in July! :sun2
According to the Tenerife News, work on the seafront at Los Cristianos has 'ground to a halt and the chances of it being completed by it's June deadline are looking increasingly slim'. This is due to a 100 year old house on the front owned by an elderly handicapped person, which is standing in the way. Apparently, they have been offered 24,000 euros for the house but are not happy with the valuation and are holding out for more.
Just shows that you should never believe anything you read in the papers! I have just been to have a look along the front today and there are plenty of workmen beavering away on the promenade. :-?
And the boardwalk is now finished! Still not open to the public yet though, at least it wasn't a couple of days ago. The grass at the back of the beach is now looking good and the benches are all in. They are just doing the finishing touches such as the ramps down to the beach. Shouldn't be long now.
Is the beach finished?
Rodz

No, they are still digging on the beach. There are heaps of sand at the back that they have dug-out during the promenade widening but they also appear to be digging out a lot of sand at the waters edge in the harbour for some reason. They were taking it away in lorries the other day. :que
Are they not taking it up to the Arona Gran end, there are plans for a new beach.
Rodz
They dumped some sand on top of the rocks and pebbles at the Arona Gran end of the beach a few weeks ago but nothing else has happened. I have heard since that it's been going to La Caleta to make some beach improvements there, although I don't know how much truth there is in this. Having said that, they have apparently demolished the beach bar there, so there might be something in it.

The beach improvements in front of the Arona Gran is a project that has been 'in the pipeline' for years, this sand appears to be a cosmetic improvement. It'll probably be a long while yet before it is properly upgraded.
I heard from a bar owner that they were shipping the sand from los cristianos beach to another, and bringing in whiter sand to los cristianos.
When i went to los cristianos the other day, the´re were huge mounds of sand piled up on the beach being trucked away.
I drove to La Caleta today actually and noticed big piles of sand on a beach there. So the above post may be accurate.
Well, went down to Los Cristianos this morning and can report that the new promenade is now open complete with boardwalk. There are literally dozens of benches all along the length of the beach, so you if you need a rest or just want to sit and soak up the sun, you should have plenty of places to sit. The beach is not quite finished yet but it didn't look too far off completion. Oh yes, and the little white house is still there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.