Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
Think i am going to be a little over dressed when i go.. :whoops

Does it get a bit cooler on a evening, or shall i leave the cardigan back home :fly

Do you have to have a visa or is it only if you plan to travel?

I GO ON HOLIDAY NEXT WEEK :yipee
Hi Nicolaw

Im going on the 17th July You mentioned that your children used the Kids Club.My daughter is nine,what activities / games do they do for the children ?do they cater for all ages or is it mainly for the younger ones? :sun
Calv

we go on the 10th July have a 7yr old son and 11yr daughter, they are a bit funny about using Kids club unless they know others, see you there on second week
Hi Calv,

Bethan didn't like the kids club the first few days, a bloke was running it I think and when I took her he just ignored her so we left. Then a few days later, we saw the kids play a game in the kids paddling pool, where numbered shells were dropped into the pool and the kids had to pick them up to get the highest score. Bethan loves this sort of thing and so wanted to join in and from then on she was addicted. two new girls had started Anya and stephanie who were really nice. They took the kids on the waterslides, but only allowed the little ones to go on the yellow one, took them to the beach to see the fish, made kites which they flew on the beach, lots of colouring and that and they also did volleyball and things which Bethan didn't join in being 5. Not many kids using it the second week but quite a few the first week with it being half term.
Ice cream in the kids club which the kids could help themselves to and bethan would always have her lunch there too as there was plain rice and chicken there for her, our baby would eat the little burgers they did.

I think a 9 year old would be ok, but older kids may not like it. Most of the girls around 9 we saw just enjoyed playing with each other, doing handstands and things on the grass (lovely spongy grass) and going off to the slides themselves. So it depends on what your kids like doing best. its a really big place and so can be hard to meet people as you tend to stick round the pool nearest your room.

Bethan and our baby both loved the mini disco although it only lasted half an hour.

Hope this helps.

Nicky
I have been reading that a few of you are worried about tummy upsets. When we went last month, we were recommended to take acidophilus tablets which can be purchased at Holland and Barrett.

Acidophilus suppresses destructive bacteria and allows the body to maintain a healthy bacterial balance. It is suggested that you take it when abroad to maintain the balance of bacteria in the gut. My partner and I both took it and had no tummy problems.

We also took Vitamin B and garlic tablets to prevent mosquito bites and we didnt get one!

Wish I was going back :D
Hi TJ50.

My husband took the probiotic tablets before he went and while he was there, but still had a dodgy tummy, so I guess it just depends on what your body is like. I had 3 mosquito bites the first day and then nothing, although noticed two on me when I arrived back home. Usually I get covered in bites and can have quite a reaction to them, but these were fine and not even that itchy.

We would like to go back too, but apparently prices for next year have gone up a lot, one guy at the bar said up by £1000 for the same two weeks next year (hotel rates I think).
Hi ellieadore and gemgas,

One week to go now just started the packing, which airport do you fly from ellieadore.
Maybe we could all meet up?

Couple of questions how is the morning sunbeds going is it still 6am or have thing s improved.
Also can you get bacardi or the local equivelent?

Thanks
Marg
Hi Marg,

our first week sunbeds were taken very early. We were able to get three by our room around 7.15ish but with no umberella, these would go straight away and people wouldn't even use them, which was annoying with us having a baby. The second week we moved up one to get a umberella and when I went out at 7.30 still loads of loungers left, so I guess it just depends on how busy it is at the time.

Regarding Bacardi they do rum, but never tried this, we just drunk beer, wine and tropicanas, a cocktail with ouzo in very nice.
Hi Marg

I am flying from Gatwick on the 9.55am. Will be my first time to Sharm and am really looking forward to it.

Ellie
Hi nicolaw

What is the beach like. I am not really one to swim in the sea but do like to go for a long stroll with my feet in the water. My Fiance does like ot have a swim though so i guessi should ask about the sea :lol:

Ellie
Hi Ellie,

The beach is very shingly, so no nice walking in the soft sand. We didn't use the beach much because of this. A few playgrounds on the beach for kids, but not covered so get very hot and bethan hated having the stones get in her shoes.

I have a few pics of the view from the roof of our block (13) and of our room if anyone interested, just PM me with your email address. All our other photos are of the kids so of no interest I guess to most of you.

Nicola
nicolaw,

thanks for the info

Hotroder,

see you in your second week.
Hi Nicolaw,
You mentioned taxi's at the airport being expensive, did you actually get one ? If so how much did you pay? Its the only part of the holiday I am worried about, arriving and having to sort a taxi !
And also did you purchase the Visa?
Hi Crazyblonde,

This may be moved I guess to a discussion on taxis, but I will post here for now - Sorry!

When we went to get a taxi I had my 50 Egyptian pounds in my hand as this was what we had been told to pay, however when I asked how much he said £25 English pounds. I said no way I couldn't believe it. They said they had to pay for parking and because we were a family we would have to get a bigger taxi. i just walked away. A medhotels rep said we could pop in the bus for £12 so I mentioned this to the taxi drivers and we got it down to £9 (90 egyptian). I then heard another family get £7 so I said i wanted this but in the end got it for £8.00, because in the end we had been up since 4.00 in the morning, waiting around for ages (still beat the tour operators bus) with two young kids so we just agreed. May have got it cheaper but we had had enough. Other people paid £17.

on the way back the hotel booked us a taxi and we forgot to ask how much so when we got to the airport he charged £15, which we though was really expensive but nothing we could do. But we got to airport fine and missed all the queues.

hope this helps.
Hi Nicolaw
Thats good to know I will try and stand my ground then! there are 4 of us so no doubt they will want to rip us off.
We have booked with med hotels too, so this bus you mentioned is that something they lay on, or is it just a local service?
I bet you are fed up with all these questions by now, but I am sooo excited!
At the LTI do they do any cocktails? if so are they any good?
Thats fine, just ask away. this site helped me choose this hotel so I am only willing to help others.

We didn't book with medhotels, but this guy with a medhotels sign just came up to us and asked us where we were going and it was £4 each and half price for the kids, hence £12.

We only drank the one cocktail Tropicana, with ouzo in, it was lovely and we even got a friend of ours drinking it. Other cocktails had whiskey and Brandy in them which I don't like anyway so didn't try them.

In the lobby bar they have all the cocktails prepared so you can see what they look like and whats in them.
:D :D :D
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cocktails. the thought of this holiday gets better & better every day! only 11 weeks on thursday to go now!!!

nic
I did try the pina colada, which is my usual cocktail on holiday but it weren't very nice, but apparently the guys first attempt at one. maybe should have tried it again.....
Sorry Nicolaw
Cant remember if you already answered this one, but did you use the bus to Naama bay ? was it easy to get booked on? how often does it run?
If its full is there an ordinary bus service which you can pay for that runs near the hotel?
Thanks again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.