Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Mobile Phone
6 Posts
Hi Dave, if you are using your uk mobile then put 00356 in front of the number, if you are dialing from your hotel for example then just dial the 8 digit number without the 00356 prefix, hope this helps.

Sliema2
Hello Sliema2, thats great will have to note it down, its for phoning the car hire people so they can be there when we get of the Gozo ferry, thanks a lot.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Are you sure you can use your mobile phone to dial a land line number when you are in Malta? I tried to use mine a couple of years ago to contact a car hire firm while I was on the Island but the call could not be connected. The phone was on a 'pay as you go' package and it seems that although I was able to phone back to the UK there was some problem about MTL (the Maltese mobile network) getting paid for internal calls!

Maybe things have changed now but since this experience I've found it far easier and infinitly cheaper to purchase a phone card, which are available at the airport, and use the public phones,

Trev
Hi Trev, on the few times that I have used my mobile in Malta to dial a local number it has worked without any problems, we are on 02 and as soon as we switch our phones on after landing at Luqa we receive a text message telling us that we can use our mobiles just as we would at home, however you are very right about buying a phone card it is much more practical and cost effective than using a uk mobile in Malta.

Caw for now
Sliema2
Hello Trev & Sliema2, I will only use it for the above call, other than if I do call home but if it does not work I am sure there is one at the ferry port at the Malta end, thanks any way.

Dave.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.