Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
cazzie44

I think perhaps people not been to egypt before perhaps could think that £5 means £5 and not 5LE??

When we went to Luxor, our first visit to Egypt, we tipped our waiter the equivalent of £2 on the first night, and he didnt turn up for work for the rest of the week! We were told the following day at our welcome meeting that we should perhaps tip 2LE for good service [20p, which I felt a bit mean] and tipped our 'towel boys' 50p each day, as they were very attentive, found us a bed where it looked like there were none, moved our umbrellas [five per bed at the Sheraton] if we were trying to block the sun, brought us drinks if we 'raised the flag' etc. etc. THey really do bend over backwards for us tourists.

Totally magical experience.
anybody got any information on the cruise king tut 2 on the nile egypt thanks ps all new to this site
Anyone reconise this boat?

joining it next week and would like some info if possible...

thanks in advance
Thanks carrot

seen that and others...

not too concerened about the actual boat, the spec and decor/pictures look OK but there is always the question of when they were taken..

just wanted to ask a few quetions of anyone who may have been on it as I really cant find anything on the boat at all, so I am wondering if its recently changed its name

Regards
Ok

So I have been and returned unscathed having had a fantastic week on the Nephtis Oberoi Deluxe - Nile Cruiser

The boat is approx 15yrs old and in pretty good shape. Its 5* but in reality this is more 3* as we would know it. Its a pretty standard boat spread over a number of decks.

1. Lowest accommodaton deck (waterline)
2. Reception/entrance and accommodation
3. Restaurant and upper accommodtion deck
4. Shop/Lounge/bar/dancefloor leading out to 1/2 deck with beds tables and shade
5. Uppermost deck for sunbathing and small plunge pool approx 12ft square

Food - A little repetative with veal being on the menu in different guises on at least 4 of the 7 3 course meals. Breakfasts were the same and buffet lunches similar.

Breakfast: cereal, assorted croissants/breads, fresh fruit, omlette to order, fried eggs and generally some kind of hot sausage dish

Lunch/dinner alternated between a set 3 course meal or buffet depending on the ships programme.

3 course meal was soup, main meal and desert with different breads and generally a salad/dip available on the table

Buffet, salad, cheese, assorted breads, generally one of chips, mash, rice, pasta with a choice of two hot dishes and two hot veg either in a sauce or on their own. assorted deserts and pastries to 'die for'

All in all with the exception of some strange plates during the 3 course (Veal, peas, cauliflower and pasta - no sauce?) the food was good. Chefs were immaculate and all wore gloves at all times. Service was excellent.
No pharoahs revenge seen at anytime during th 70 ish passengers (low season). Trainee waiter salary was £15 a week but received bonuses (our tips? £15 per head on second day was requested which was distributed evenly throughout the crew) and tips if you wished at the end of the trip for good service

We had an upper room (3rd deck) with a double bed. Room was adequate (you only sleep there!) but I felt the shower room a little cramped. enough drawer/hanging space for 2 for a week (and my mrs does pack some stuff!)

I think double rooms are limited, the 'other' rooms I saw on the 1st and 2nd flloors were mostly made up of foldaway bunks so the rooms could be used by up to four persons.

Drinks
Egyptian wine £12 - 15 per bottle
Beer (local bottle) £2.20 for 500ml, Heineken was available £2.50 330ml can
Tins of coke, sprite etc £1.00 a tin
Water £1.00 1.5ltr bottle

All in all our bar bill was £100 for the week settled by credit card on the evening before our final day, and whilst we didnt go mad, certainly didnt go short... early starts most mornings though.

Trips were superb, we had the 'full package' and paid the extra for the Abu Simbal trip - not to be missed! even though its an early start and 3hr coach journey. Both tours guides were extremly good. Thanks Meesham and Waied - should you ever read this!

Entertainment was minimal.. belly dancer on final evening and a 'show' put on by the crew on two occasion which really consisted of some egyption dancing which led to the crew members getting the guests up butlins style for a dance. Another night we all dressed up for dinner in traditional Egyptian attire and had the guides having some fun playing games which consisted of us brits and the dutch that were on board making a fool of ourselves, but fun was had by all and there was no pressure to join in should you not want to. The 'clothes' can be bought anywhere including onboard. But we had some real fun before transitting the lock as small boats surrond the ship and throw clothes in bags from their boats to the upperdecks of the passing ships. If you like what you get, the bartering starts. Get the lowest price by haggling and throwing the gear back if you dont like what you hear, it will come back at at lower price... ;0)

People 'ashore' can be a pain with their continuous hassleing but they are fairly polite and do accept NO after about the 5th time and there is no way any of them would get agressive and touch you. So you shouldnt worry. They will try and sell you anything and starting prices are ridiculous! I wanted a 'cowboy hat' first price was £18 - got it for £2, also a book of the temples, started at £12 got it for £2. Barter stupidly and when you reach a figure they wont sell to you at you know that you have gone to low and start a little higher with the next person - dont worry there are enough of them! Of note there are police everywhere!

Tips:
Take £1 egyptian notes if you can - currency of the toilets! Also the smaller the better egyptian notes if you want to buy anything - its easier.
£ notes along with Euros accepted everywhere.
£5 notes (and euro notes) are in demand as sellers like to change their £1 coins/Euros for notes as coins are not accepted in the banks

Generally its accepted that £1uk is = £10 egyptian although the exchange rate is about 11.5 to the pound

Definatly take antibacterial hand wash and use it frequently!

We took some 'dettol' wipes and had a once over of the cabin, not sure if it was needed but we felt better

Toilets at the temples: Paper was not able to be flushed and limited supply - take wet wipes..

Dont drink the water from the taps, dont even clean your teeth with the water - use bottled for everything. Coffee/tea onboard all made with bottled water. Not sure about the ice - we avoided it..

Well there is a lot more I can tell you and I have pics should anybody want some but i'll close for now.

PM me for any morw info

Bon Voyage
Has anyone been on the m/s orchid with first choice holidays yet?? as I would appreciate any info on it, as my wife and I are going on 27 august 07 (I know its hot) but it is our silver anniversary on 28th. also we have a deluxe cabin booked any info on that as well, you know coffee/tea facilities, can we take a travel kettle etc!, anything helpful really
thank you.
Hi Eddie

Take a look at the review section and you will see my review of the Orchid, yes you can take a kettle.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=47977&start=20

Graham
We are two couples in our late fifties/early sixties and would love to do a Nile cruise but are reluctant to book without finding out how arduous the excursions are. My husband and the wife of the other couple are not the best walkers so we need to know just how much walking , and on what sort of ground , is involved in the visits and what time do you leave the boats in the morning for the trips. I would hate to book and then find out that it was beyond the weaker two in our party. Any info is most welcome. Also what is the food like on the boats?
We have booked to travel on the Presidential Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor in less than 2 weeks time.

It's only for 3 nights and we have previously been to Egypt before - so no worries about what we will see there. We will take in a couple of temples that we haven't seen in the past and we are looking forward very much to our first Nile cruise.

Has anyone been on Presidential Nile cruise recently and have any hints or tips they want to share?

Regards
Cyprus100
(formerly First Choice Customer Support staff)
Hi Cyprus,
We've been on Presidential boats a couple of times and they've been fine.
I would advise taking a bit of duty free on board if you like a little tipple now and then. The drinks prices are not cheap!
One other piece of advice. If you are able to go ashore at Esna, it is far cheaper to shop there than in Luxor or Aswan. Just dont forget to haggle, haggle, haggle!
I think Nile cruises are a fabulous experience and I hope it wont be too long before the security situation allows even longer distances to be cruised on the river. Have a great time!
My wife,sister-in-law and I are considering a week cruise on the Nile in October. We have noticed that there are lots of reduced price deals for the next couple of months so we were wondering whether it would be best to leave booking the cruise until late August to get better prices. Or do the October cruises get snapped up early??
Any thoughts gratefully received.
From past experiences of visits to Egypt - July & August are the quietest months for tourists.

The main reason for this is it gets extremely hot - well into the high 40's and puts many people off travelling. They usually go when it is a bit cooler during early and late summer.

Cyprus100
Hi Dave,
There is another reason for the prices being cheaper for june and that is that Esna lock is normally closed for maintainance from 1st to 30th june which cuts down the length of river that is cruiseable. Passengers are bussed into Luxor from Esna, instead of cruising all the way. This is ok if you have cruised before, but I would say its a nono for your first time.

To add to Cyprus' comments, october to april are by far the best months to do the cruise as they are far more comfortable temperature wise for the sightseeing involved.
Thanks very much Carrot and Cyprus - hadn't realised about lock closures but have now read about being bussed to Esna !
We will have to decide whether to book now or risk leaving it.
Hi Dave,

We are flying to Egypt from our home in Cyprus on Monday. This time we are going to Aswan via Cairo and will take our first Nile Cruise starting on Friday from Aswan to Luxor. It will be our 5th visit to Luxor (usually, we go during the hottest months) and base ourselves in Luxor.

From Luxor, we have visted Cairo and Aswan - using the train and also taken an excursion to Hurghada. You can also take a day cruise to the temple at Dendara, which is well worth a visit, especially a trip down the crypt with the bats flying around :shock:

Regards
Cyprus100
Hi All,

We are thinking of booking a cruise in July or August due to school/college committments. Can you tell me if this is vaible. I know it will be extremely hot and we are used to temps in high 30's, but will it be unbearable? If excursions are done early morning- how early? and what is there to do the rest of the day? Are we couped up on the boat? Should we consider a stay in Luxor instead to be able to move around more. WE have been looking forward to going but are now having our doubts. Ps kids are 16 and 18. Thanks for your replies.sj
hello everyone,
you all seem so helpful so i was wandering if you could answer me a few questions,
i and my partner are going to egypt (first time) in july on the nile cruise, staying on the m.s monte carlo, has any one been on this boat or seen any reviews for it (cant find any anywhere)
also how much money do you think we will need, neither i or my partner drink, so wont need much for alchohol! just for bits and bobs around the towns?
thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated.

sarah
sj

We have always gone to Egypt in June to August and find that once the temps reach over 100 degrees, it just doesn't feel any hotter.

The only drawback is the lock at Esna will probably be closed and I am not certain how you will transfer through or if they do all excursions on Aswan side from Esna. You should be able to check this with your Agent or whoever you are making your reservation with.

Cruise excursions can start with an early morning call at 6am - depending on which monuments you will visit. Our first 2 days were reasonable times, leaving the ship from 08.30 onwards but then they just got earlier and earlier after that.

Depending on your itinerary, you will have free time in the moored location or the ship will be sailing to the next destination. You should be able to find out the individual itinerary before you book. If you are moored in Luxor or Aswan, there is plenty of shopping to be had there or you can just jump ship and explore alone.

After having done the cruise only recently, I would certainly recommend it for a first time visitor. If you choose to visit Egypt again - then you could use Luxor as a base. You will only get a snapshot of what is to see in Luxor whilst on the cruise and it's great to be able to do some independant exploration alone.

Enjoy!

Sarah,
Our cruise ship was classed as 5* deluxe and the prices for soft drinks were LE8.50 and LE7.50 for tea and coffee. We tended to buy bottled water when we were out and about at 2 large bottles for LE5.

While onboard ship - you are expected to sign for all of your drinks and pay at the end of your stay. You can check your bill with reception at any time, but to give you an idea:
4 of us drinking Stella local (bottled lager), glasses of white wine, soft drinks plus tea & coffee - we paid LE1143 (Cy£90). We got on board ship on Friday morning and left Monday lunchtime.

As for "bits and bobs" around the towns, you may find you might want to purchase the odd item or 5 :) , so that's harder to budget for. However, we just stayed for 10 nights with 3 nights on ship and the rest in hotels plus 1 on the sleeper train. We were on BB in the hotels so had to provide evening meals etc and we only spent Cy280 and that included purchasing cigarettes, gifts, books, meals & drinks etc (for me and my husband).

Enjoy!

Regards,
Cyprus100
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.