Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thanks for that Cazzi44, some more great information for those who have not yet experienced the absolute joy of cruising the Nile!
I have had a good deal for a boat called M/S KING TUT 1,as anyone been on this boat or know anything about it Iwould be very grateful for some feedback
I am due to go on the Wonders Of The Nile cruise in October with my wife. I originally thought the boat was the MS Mary but it looks like the MS Magic 1. Has anybody been on this boat and could tell me what it is like?

Many thanks.
What a brilliant forum - I've spent hours reading through all the advice and opinions. :shock:

Couple of questions:

1. I'm looking to book a holiday/cruise (quite short notice!) for Feb/March or April and have found two companies which seem to offer what I'm looking for - Jules Verne & a company called Audley Travel.

If anyone has used these companies for their hols - any opinions?

2. London - fly to Cairo - 3 day stay at Mena House - then onto Luxor, cruise on Oberoi Philae (6 nights) - transfer to Aswan and MS Kasr Ibrim cruise on Lake Nassar (5 nights) - Old Cataract in Aswan for 2 nights.

OR

London - fly to Aswan - SS MISR for 7 nights then fly to Cairo - 3 nights Mena House - fly back to Aswan for 5 day cruise on MS Prince Abbas.

On paper it looks feasible but am I being a tad ambitious considering the number of excursions that have to be factored in?

Any opinions which would be the best option?

3. What's the mossie situation like on the Nile in March/April?? What would be considered the "humid" times of the year to avoid getting bitten to death!

Many thanks
Hi Taliesin,

Out of your two options mentioned, the one with the Lake Nasser cruise included sounds by far the best to me. The hotels mentioned are very nice and should ensure a very enjoyable holiday. I'm afraid that I haven't used Voyages Jules Verne or Audley Travel so I can't comment on them, except to say that I have talked to several people who have been with Jules Verne and they were very satisfied. I'm sure somebody that reads your post will have some insight into one or both of the companies.

Do let us know which itinerary you choose and have a great time!
Thanks for the reply Carrot :D

It's so difficult to decide as there's so much to see! Promise to let you know what I decide and give a review when I return

Cheers
My wife and I have just returned from a New Year cruise on the Nile booked through Discover Egypt on the Viking Premier and I can honestly say it was one of the best holidays we have ever experienced! I will give you a few details but I would recommend this trip to anyone!

DISCOVER EGYPT
- This company were second to none. We booked last minute after Xmas and the tickets etc arrived the next morning. All their arrangements went like clockwork. Their reps in Egypt are Viking Travel. More of them later.

PRICE ETC. - We paid 598 pounds each which included Flights, all taxes, Full Board and 10 fabulous excursions!! Not bad for New Year.

THE SHIP - We were originally booked onto Viking III but on arrival were upgraded to Viking Premier at no cost. The ship is 5* according to the tour company but you must realise that the Egyptian operators allocate the ratings themselves. T

his is not to say it is not top class, because it is. Viking Premier has about 75 passengers. The cabins are comfortable and very clean and the staff are amazing. IMPORTANT POINT - The hygene system on board is unbelievable. Operated by British company, Cristal, it is the best system I have ever seen. Having worked in the catering trade in Spain for 8 years I can tell you that this is the best ever. All over the ship there are disinfectant pints and the staff ensure that everyone cleans their hands before entering bars, dining rooms etc. We had a tour of the kitchens and the cleanliness is stunning.

ENTERTAINMENT - The entertainment was fine with the usual cultural shows and silly games. New years eve we had a dance which was great fun and the Galbeya party where everyone dresses in arab clothes. You can buy these in the markets very cheaply. Don't pay more than 6 or 7 quid for a full outfit. It is a great night. Make sure you join in.

FOOD - The food was plentiful, tasty and beautifully presented. The chefs were excellent and we loved all our meals. The Galabeya night was special as it was my wifes birthday and the waiters brought out a cake and sang Egyptian songs to her. Fantastic.

TOURS - The included tours were brilliant. The tour guides, Victor and Ahmed were qualified Egyptologists and their knowledge was awsome. They were extremely helpful and made the holiday. The extra tours we did were Abu Simbal and the Balloon flight. Abu Simbal was terrific. I cannot describe seeing the sun come up over the Sahara. The balloon flight is a must. Flying over the Valley of Kings a 5 in the morning was unbelievable. Please do it.
VIKING TRAVEL - This is the local tour company. They own both the Viking ships the Balloons and the coaches. They are very efficient and safe and very organised.

OVERALL - This was a fantastic trip I would recommend to anyone. To wake up on the Nile and hear the sounds and see the bustle around the river is magic and to know you are in safe hands and are guaranteed a great holiday is priceless.

If anyone wants mor info email me.
Doing a nile cruise with Kuoni on the MS Sunray anyone done it recently?
:wave Hi, We Are Thinking Of Going On An Egypt Cruise At The End Of June, As We Have Both Got Time Off Work Then, I Notice That The Prices Are Very Reasonable At That Time, Anybody Any Idea Why, Is It Incredibly Hot At That Time Of Year, And Would It Be Better To Go Later Or Earlier, Cheers Tel. :hmmm
Hi Tel,

The usual reason that prices are cheaper at the end of June is because the water level is lower and they close the major navigational lock at Esna for maintainance. All cruise boats can get no further than Esna so you cannot sail into Luxor. They still run the normal excursions from the boats by bussing you into Luxor.

They are building a new lock at Esna which I thought would have been ready by now. Things always happen slowly in Egypt! The rest of the navigation as far as Aswan is not affected by the lower water levels, so operates normally.
Doing a nile cruise with on the Nephtis Oberoi Delux anybody got any imformation on this boat.
Can anyone give me any advice on which of these boats is best for cruising the Nile. I have never done this before so need all the help I can get !!

I'm looking for a 5* trip with all the 5* bits !! Excellent accomodation, food, trips, pool and staff.

Any help would be gratefully accepted !!
Hi Vick,

I have been aboard RA II and it is a really nice boat with lots of nice features. Maybe getting a tad "tired" in places, but still impressive.

The Crown Prince, I have only seen in passing on the river, but looking at online reports it seems to have been refurbed quite recently and is quite up to date.

All you can do is look at everything you can find about each boat and then make a decision. I'm sure, whichever one you choose, you will have a superb time!
Hi Wendy

I can't give you a difinitve answer to your question I'm afraid, but when I was on that vessel last May I didn't see anyone wearing denim in the dining room in the evening. I didn't see any notice or rule forbidding it. The dress code was smart casual at dinner and as long as your denim fits that description I can't imagine you would have a problem.

Jael
Hi all, Just a newbies view on first egypt holiday. In one word FANTASTIC !!. We travelled with Longwood ,who took us through every step of the way from landing in Cairo on the 12th, to taking off yesterday morning we could not fault them.As this topic is about cruises , I shall briefly mention the 10 days either side then concentrate on our cruise which for me was the highlight.We spent 3 nights at the Sophitel la sphinx in Cairo which was a fantastic hotel good food excellent staff.Cairo was an experience and if you listen to my hubby one not to be repeated .I will just have to go back without him.Our last 7 days was spent in El gouna on the red sea staying at the Movenpick,El gouna is pretty and very peacefull and after the previous 10 days just what we needed a week of total relaxation in the sun.Now the cruise we were aboard the Nile Odyssey,which was clean comfortable and the staff fantastic.We did all the usual tours plus abul simbel as an extra which was well worth the extra money and 3.am start.Again hubby moaned about the excursions ( seen one pile of old bricks you've seen them all grrrrrrrr ) I personally loved them but this was my dream holiday after all.We were in a relatively small group of 18 who all got on well and mixed easily,and many new friends have been made.A special mention must go to our egyptologist Medhat who was a wealth of information with an evil sense of humour,who made an Egyptian history lesson a pleasure.Highlights for me were abul simbel Esna temple Komombol and fillae ,though all were well worth the visit.Oh and the fellluca ride was amazing with our Nubian owners rendition of she'll be coming round the mountain .I hope I haven't bored anyone with my rantings but i could go on and on,just my excitement about my first trip.I'm sure it wont be my last,whether hubby goes or not .
Thats great, Evelyn, it gets you doesn't it? It seems you have to educate hubby a bit more on what is really important to see, before it is lost forever! Just think, as an "old hand" now, your second trip will be even better!
Hi I went to Egypt about 18 months ago. My hubby booked it as a suprise for my 40th.

We went with discover egypt, on the nile cruise and it was fantastic. Included in the price was 10 excursions and all meals. You had to pay seperate for your drinks.

The boat was extremely clean. The staff were superb and couldn't do enough for you and the food was varied every night with a choice of five different starters and mains and a huge desert area.

I would definately recommend this cruise if it is for a couple. If you have children then there is nothing much for them to do other than swim in the pool. They did not have a games room.
Hi Jaout, It would be useful to name the boat you were on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.