Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Kay,
Just a quickie to say that everything the rest of the guys & girls have said is spot on. Yes please do the party and join in it is great fun. You can also buy Galebyas from the little boats that appear at the Esna Lock, but you just do your own thing, everyone enjoys a good effort and belly dancer sounds OK to me :wink: My favourite site along the Nile has to be going across to Philae at night. Abu Simbel is unforgetable, the balloon ride is breathtaking, I am going to do it again next week inshallah.
Will check out the visa cost tomorrow but it should be £10 each
Tez :wave
:?: I have just booked a 7 day cruise on this ship. Can anyone tell me about this ship and their experiences when they went on holiday .
A couple of quick question for Jael, Carol or any others!!

You mentioned that you might be able to buy a 2 piece costume for the galabaya night....what did that comprise of?
I've had a look on ebay, hoping to get a cheap traditional costume, but they are pretty expensive, so I'll wait until I'm there. So just trying to be prepared!!
What night is the galabaya night usually?

The drinks on board....are they average kind of prices or are they very expensive? We will probably take a wine box anyway so we can have a drink in the evening before going out.

I think I've seen a picture somewhere of an exercise bike (probably this is the small outdoor gym!)...is that all they have? Anyone use it or does it look usable? Just a bit worried about all the eating and no exercise!! Or is it far too hot to contemplate?!

Only 10 sleeps to go!!!!!! :hyper

Still need to do some more homework on the historic sites so I know what I want to see!!

:wave
Kay
I will try to answer your questions.

All boats have their entertainment on different nights i.e. belly dancer, whirling dervish etc.

I didn't think the drink prices were excessive but by all means take your own wine box.

The boat we were on didn't have a gym but I did see other boats where people were using the gym equipment on board. Must be mad in all that heat.
Hi Kay

Sorry not to get back to you before this but I have been away and when I got back to my computer I found that someone had changed the locks on this site and I couldn't find a way back in. :( :!:

The two part costume I referred to was the one that men tend to wear; it is like a long-sleeved full-length galabeya with a full-length sleeveless 'waistcoat' over it (not much good for belly dancing :lol:).

Our Egyptian night was on Wednesday.

Can't help much with the price for drinks. I think G&T was £3+. We didn't drink wine. We tended to drink Coke, Lager Shandy or water. There were sometimes cocktails offered at around £3.50 but they looked rather psychedelic (don't know how to spell that!) and gave the impression that they would be very sweet.

There is table tennis on the sun deck under the awning and, I believe, other gym equipment in an indoor area on the level below the sundeck where you can also get a massage. It was far too hot for those facilities to tempt me.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Jael
Had a fantastic nile cruise holiday...many thanks for the hints and tips!!

Will post a review if I can find anything to say that hasn't already been said!!

Now, looking forward to planning next holiday.....so off to find another board/forum page to feast my eyes on :D

Kay
Hi all!

I have brain freeze!! (I have just read the last 10 pages of posts)

Can anyone give me any info on the MS Miss Sara? We leave in September for a week's cruise then a week at the Hilton Hurghada Long Beach and I am sooooo excited :hyper
Hi,

just returned from 2 weeks in Egypt, including 1 week on the MS Sherry Boat (through Kuoni).

If anyone wants to know anything in particular about this boat, drop a reply and I'll post back.
Hi there,
We are off on honeymoon with Kuoni on MS Sherry and then Cairo in a couple of weeks so I'm going to take you up on your offer of answering questions:
1. Did you fly LHR to Luxor, arriving late? If so, was the transfer to the boat easy and did you get fed on arrival?
2. What's the bar tariff like on the boat?
3. Were the guides good? Same guide all week? Different guide for each tour operator?
4. Was the boat full? (low season so we're not expecting it to be)
5. Did you do the Abu Simbel excursion?

Would be grateful for answers to these and for a general comment on your stay on board.

Many thanks
Hi,

yes we booked with Kuoni; the boat is normally booked solely for Kuoni.

Boat has it's own website:

http://www.sherryboat.com.eg/

1) Yes (LHY to Luxor); reps meet you at each step of the way, just look for the Kuoni clipboard. They'll direct you to the right desk if you need a visa.
We arrived at the boat at 22:30 (only 20 minute-ish transfer and no other drops en route). We were then served a 4-course dinner, although most people wanted to go to bed (especially as we were up at 5 AM the next day).

2) Spirits are expensive everywhere in Egypt; 'Stella' is a local beer (not like the Belgian stuff, but very drinkable); between £1-£2 for a 500ml bottle.
Water around £1.20 for 2 litres (try to drink 2 bottles each a day)
Wine - apparently white was awful, but local red was fine (circa £9-£10 per bottle). Someone said it was cheaper to buy this in the bar, leave what you didn't want behind the bar and get them to bring it to you at dinner (as apparently it was slightly cheaper to buy wine from bar than the restaurant)

3) Same guide all week; ours was called Ayman who worked freelance - so you'll probably have someone different.
You may find it difficult to get small change for tipping, they can normally get some money changed down for you. They can also offer advice on how much to pay for items, but will not tell you on the spot next to the traders, as they'd get grief. Ask in advance for advice on prics to pay for something that takes your fancy

4) On our week there were only 28 people, with a staff of 65, they ended up taking on 20 more people at Aswan for the way back (apparently this is an exception).
The upper deck is split in two (most boats had one deck). The lower deck had the jacuzzi, small pool, a few loungers and covered seating. Upper deck had fully open sun loungers (lots of), plus a hammock.

5) Yes - did Abu Simbel, booked this on the boat.
All excursions (Abu Simbel, light shows, balloon flights can be booked on the boat). Guide will take bookings and will take Egyptian or Sterling, credit card or travllers cheques (note - you can only settle any extras on the boat in cash or credit card (no traveller's cheques)
You can book Abu Simbel by road or air; air is a later start and quicker to get there; road is early. We flew. If you think you may get coach-sick (or are put off by seeing other people turn green) you may at to pay extra to fly. Both methods get you back to the boat at roughly the same time.

Other tips:

1) Use laundry facilities - everything came back fine and the same evening, plus it's cheap so may save you some luggage space.

2) If you've arrived and the beds ar set up as twins, ask the room steward to put them together

3) If you haven't booked the upper deck cabin, you can ask to upgrade once you're there (if they have room); it sounded like it was chaper to do this than book it that ay in the UK.

4) Take wet / moist loo wipes - if you get the trots they will be a godsend

5) On galabaya night you can buy these from the ship's boutique, or wait to get to Kom Ombo where they will be cheaper

6) The gift shop (outside restaurant) hs a library to swap / borrow used books

7) The boat is probably mid-class, but they still give it 5 stars; you might walk through some very luxurious boats as you cross to shore for excursions (they moor up together), but the Sherry had a very good atmospher and excellent staff, plus good food (although far too much of it)
8) Tips (for staff & guide - (if you want to)) are left in envelopes at end of cruise; ship is cashless, everything is signed for (except boutique), just settle bill on last night or morning

9) If you have no small egyptian notes on arrival, take a few 50p's or £1's for porters / drivers until you get small money

10) Most coaches have an on-board fridge; you can buy 2x500ml bottles of water rom the driver for 5 egyptian pounds; alternatively buy it from the ship and keep in the fridge in your room

11) Invest in some wet wipes to clean your hands after handling the money (it is dirty)

12) Invest in some magicool spray or a handheld fan to cool you around the temples (if you can't find it in the shops, you'll get magicool on e-bay)

13) Breakfast is buffet; packed lunch breakfst provided for Abu Simbel and last day (if you have an early flight).
Lunch is 3 courses; dinner is 4 courses except for buffet / them nights; aftrnoon tea served circa 5:30 PM

Hope you have a lovely honeymoon, post back if you have more questions.
does anyone know which deck deluxe cabins are on ,if so are they at front or back of boat.
Hi,

I would like to go on a Nile Cruise but would like to go 5 star + 8) which will hopefully avoid some of the problems regarding cleanliness and illness due to poor hygeine. Can anyone recommend a cruise boat that would be suitable. Many thanks :D
Hi wondering if anyone has cruised on the reve du nile cant seem to find anything about this boat exept on flash international site it sounds good - anyone have any views thanks
what do u do on a nile cruise
what do u do on a nile cruise

THIS will give you an example of a typical Nile cruise itinery :)
I guess it's become on of the scourges of the modern tourist but I've been a digital comcorder user for about 7 years now. This Christmas I'm going to be on a Nile cruise boat for 4 days and I can usually flatten a camera battery in a day. I have two, so I wondered whether there is likely to be a power socket (mains 110V/220V AC) in our cabin, to allow me to recharge them. We're booked vith Sunrise (via Thomas Cook), and their web site implies the boats are big, modern things (don't they all!).

It's an interesting aside that Explore Worldwide when I aksed them about a similar trip suggested that I didn't use a digital camera. I wonder how many people will still be using a film camera in 5 years! I think one of their mottos is the usual "taken nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints". Maybe they should add ", but don't too take photos because your batteries can't be recharged" :wink:
hi
i hope someone can answer my rather strange question! i think i read somewhere that you were not allowed to wear denim at dinner on the domina prestige emilio. could anyone thats been on this boat tell me if that is true. i'd really appriciate it.
thanks wendy x x
Kakapo,

As a veteran of several Nile cruises, I can tell you that I have been able to recharge my digital camcorder on every vessel that I have been on. Although this is not a guarantee that your ship will have the facility, I feel it is unlikely not to.
Hi all :wave

My wife and were due to have gone on a Nile cruise on the MS Orchid (First Choice) in September for our 25th wedding anniversary & we had upgraded our cabin to a junior suite, my mum took seriously ill and we had to postpone the holiday.
We are now going on the 15th of January but there were no junior suites available (I am very disappointed as this was to be a special holiday for us) so we now have a superior cabin can anybody tell me what the difference between the 2 types of cabin are ?

I have phoned FC regularly to see if there have been any cancellations but no luck there, do you think there is any chance of upgrading when we arrive ?

:thanks
Graham
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.