Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
you could always telephone the hotel direct ...you will find the number in the hotel review forum

wizard
Brilliant idea Wizard :wink:

You'll find the contact no here http://www.petramare.com/en/index.html

Click on contacts, you can actually e-mail them, I'm sure it won't be a problem :D
Hi all, not been on for a few days, I'm sure the hotel staff will have no problems supplying a cake, although you'd think first choice would be more than willing to sort something out after the trauma they have put us through! I doubt if you would get any type of response from a letter, they've had our money now! :shrug

Shell, is the kids pool area really slippy? I read on the hotel reveiws that a child slipped and cracked a tooth, don't fancy paying a trip to medical while we're away! Do you think I should get the kids some of those aqua shoes?

What's the sundbed situation like there? Do I need to get up at 5 in the morning for a speck near the kids bit? Also, I'm slightly confused as to what is open and when, is the kids play area open all the time? what is meant by waterpark? :hmmm

Wizard, a big thanks to you at the other mods for all of your help and input, you all deserve big shiney medals! :D

Mandy
Hi
It was my son that broke his tooth, and yes the surface is slippy! Its one of those things that I suppose happens, the ground is dry and dusty and kids are in and out of the water making it lethal. The toilets at the kids pool were the worst, again wet feet. While we were there, 1 boy put is tooth through his lip and another little girl split her head open!
The aqua shoes helped alot and after our incident, I insisted my lot wore them for the rest of the hols. As long as you have something on your feet the floors are ok. The beach is unmanageable with out shoes too, very hot under foot! Sports world sell the shoes for under £3 but you can get the for around 3 euros from the big supermarket up the road from the hotel.
The kids splash pool is open till 8pm I think.
As for beds the hotel was full when we were there so there is the usual battle for sunbeds. My husband is the early riser and usually went down for half hours peace at 7 ish for a bed by the splash pool with a newspaper.
Dont worry too much we had a brilliant time. The kids are desparate to go back next year, I never like to go back to the same place twice but even im tempted!!

Hope this helps.
Supersox
Hi me again!

Forgot to mention, the dentist we had to see about his tooth was absolutly gorgeous! Realy posh surgery, performed x rays and gave medication, the best bit was he wouldnt take any payment for his services at 8.30pm!
There was 2 Germans waiting to see him iim pretty sure he planned on charging them extra, you know how much Crete love Germans! We cant even get a dentist in our neck of the woods, let alone one that would open that time of night and not even charge!

Supersox
Hi Mandleson,

I think supersox has answered the question with regard to the floor though I have to say we never had a problem with it the fortnight we were there but my children were 11 and 12.

Have to agree also about the beach being rough and hot under foot. Also if you want to wade out into the sea there are quite large rocks that you need to be aware of, it's not the easiest sea to paddle in.

The water park is situated in the middle of the patio area in the centre of the lazy river. It opens for around two hours at a time twice a day, it's a massive hit with the kid's and adults!

As supersox has said there is the old tradition of reserving the sunbeds in the early hours, I really wish hotels would put a stop to this. We even saw people going down of an evening whilst the entertainment was on and putting there towels on beds :roll: We also witnessed a couple of arguments whilst we were there over who'd reserved a bed first, it's all a little pathetic but you get it at most hotels you stay at.

Hope you have a lovely holiday, if there's anything else you need to know please ask :D
Click on this link to see photo's of the petra mare if you also click on page 4 there are some more there and maybe page 5

If you go to page 4 you can see on one of the photo's where the sea's out slightly the size of the rocks that you have to navigate round when paddling. The sea is normally like a lake but whilst we were there last year we had a few days with it quite rough and that's why you can see the rocks :D
Thanks Supersox and Shell, forwarned is forarmed and all that!

It sounds fab, I'm really excited now. After the hassle of Kos Aqua Beach it feels good to know that the hotel we are going to has such good facilities. (and is open!):wink:

My brother in law owns a diving shop, I'm going to get the shoes from him. Dentist sounds fantastic, that said, I still don't fancy going!

Is the waterpark separate from the kids bit? You must think I'm dim, but looking at the photos I can't quite tell what is going on. Thanks for the link to the photos, the hotel looks great, proper sunbeds too (if I'm able to nab one!). :hmmm

5 weeks to go! :hyper
Hi
The water slides are alongside the splash pool with the kids club in a building at the back of the splash pool. There is a self service bar area in between which you can help yourself to tea/coffee, soft drinks and BEER!
The lazy river goes aroud the central sunbed area and water slide pool. Kids loved the river going round on the inflatables. There are 3 water slides, the lower one is for all ages(little ones wont be allowed on their own without armbands), the two bigger ones are for age 12 and over. Only managed to go on the smaller one as I am afraid of heights, but did manage to get a whoppping friction burn on me bum for my troubles! Had everyone talking though, thought i,d been up to alsorts!!!
Supersox
Well Supersox,
exactly the type of thing that would happen to me! Sad thing is, I have a love hate relationship with the water. I love to sail, I have my power boat level 3 (rya), I can actually take a power boat out and save someone, as long as I have my bouyancy aid on, I'm a-ok!! I've been on ts royalist and sailed half way around the south- wes british coast. Never have I had friction burns on my backside from a waterslide. The reason for this is that I jam my legs against the sides of the slide so forcefully that I haven't got a hope in hell of travelling faster than a snail on prozac!! I am a big chicken, and I admit it! The self serve beer sounds absolutely great tho.

Am already planning on sitting in my donut in the lazy river with a beer or three! Kids very excited, keep getting brochure out!

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.
Mandy :wave
Hi just joined today. I am going to this hotel in October and just wondered if anyone has been and could answer a few questions.
Are there any beach towels to hire at this hotel? It doen't mention this in the brochure.
Also is the nightly entertainment outside ? Will I need a fleece etc? I have never been to Crete and am looking forward to it so much. I have been to Kos before but it was quite windy there the whole time we were there. Does Crete tend to be windy?
Also has anyone used the creche? I have a toddler who I may put in occasionally for a well deserved break but have never used a creche on holiday before and wondered what it is like.
Many thanks.
hi welcome. have you read the members reviews in the hotel review forum yet???

wizard
Yes I have Thanks and found it very useful.
I'm asking a few things that weren't mentioned in the reviews though.
Hi
We went the last week in may/1st week in june, realy enjoyed it and would love to go back!
There are no beach towels to hire, to answer your 1st question. As for a fleece on a night, it can get windy, now im a bit soft when it comes to being cold so I have to admit I wore my denim jacket on a couple of nights!! This could be down to fact that is was that hot through the day that you notice it more or like I say im a softie!!
I have 3 boys 3,5&7 and all used the kids clubs which were well run and the girls were lovely. The creche is attached to the kids club and appeared to be popular with good reports comming out. One thing which I thought was brilliant is they give you a mobile phone if you have a small one in the creche so if they dont settle they just give you a ring.
Anything else you can think of fire away!!
Cheers
supersox
Thanks supersox for your reply, The phone idea is reassuring.
I can't wait to go....
after just being told by my travel agent 5 weeks before my holiday that the kids club wont be running when we go, i am considering this hotel instead. could anyone please tell me what the beach is like as i love white sand blue sea etc
Hi

I cant speak highly enough about this hotel, but unfortunately the beach isnt sandy, like alot of Greek beaches it is shingle. The pools are fantastic and theres enough going on to keep the kids amused. We did go to Chrissi island which has a beautiful beach and excellent water for snorkelling. Hope this doesnt put you off!!

supersox
hi,
we go to the petra mare on friday and having read all the reviews just wondered if anyone had any up to date news on drinks etc - what's included at the moment? despite the recent tragic events at the hotel we are determined to have a good time and would appreciate any info whatsoever!
cheers K
Hi
When we were there the spirts available were, vodka(essential!), gin, ouzo, brandy& whiskey. Beer was self service with pumps at the pool bars, as well as fizzy drinks,cola,lemon, lemonade and lemon & lime non were sugar free, the kids were hyper. Water was available as well as tea & coffee. Fruit juices were only available at the restaurant which is a shame as I dont like the kids having too much pop, but we filled thier drinks bottles at breakfast.
The cups in all areas except the main bar and restaurant are plastic for obvious reasons, but if you get your first drink from the bar hang on to your glass!! You could always get a free glass from the supermarket up the road if you bought some fresh juice and take that with you. Its sad I know but trust me you do get fed up of drinking out of plastic. I would never use anything but plastic around the pool but in the entertainment bit on a night I couldnt see any harm.
Realy jealous, I would go tomorrow given half a chance!!!

Supersox
Hi Michelle,

If you like white sandy beaches then I don't think Ierapetra is for you, the beach is shingle and very rocky on the sea bed. For me the beach lets it down but each to their own.

Click on the link, it's a picture I took of the beach whilst we were there in August last year.

Shell :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.