Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Yes, I see your point! I'd never looked at it that way. I don't suppose you'd be able to get any flights out there at this late stage before about the 16th December, would you?! Pity, we'd love to have bought you a Sagres or two. :glynis
Flights are no problem at all - there's plenty available between now and Christmas Eve. Only problem is deciding when we want to be there.( If it was left to me,we'd go out tomorrow and come back on Boxing day :rofl )
I don't suppose you'd be able to get any flights out there at this late stage before about the 16th December, would you?!

So sorry roseweb:it's only taken me nine days, but I've finally got the point ! Not to worry - I've only got two bottles of Monte left, so I should have a clear head soon.(....and if we do get over there before Christmas we can only bring it back in 100 ml. containers now,can't we? :lol: )
Never mind, Sagres! Perhaps I should have put a few more exclamation marks!!!!!! That's going to be one helluva zip-lock plakky bag to put your Winter's supply of Monte Velho in, in 100ml containers.

Not booked anything yet?
To be realistic I think the days of bringing Monte back are over unless they begin stocking it at the airport.Even so, there's no way it will be as cheap as in resort.You can order it in the U.K. but it sells at £5:99 a bottle and,after the local Portuguese prices that's got to affect the enjoyment of it !! :lol: :lol:
Sorry,roseweb - forgot to answer the second part of your post.
No, we haven't booked anything yet;one tour operator is advertising dates in December which,if they come down a little,are likely to be cheaper than d.i.y. Our usual hotel closes for the winter and the room-booking agencies are only showing properties which are a tidy walk out of town.Furthermore,our Portuguese friends are presently away on holiday in Spain and Morocco (and may tag a week in the Canaries on the end of that), so we will wait 'til we hear from them when they'll be returning before we make a final decision.Hopefully,by the time we hear from our friends,the T O's price will have come down and we can organise something.The weather,judging from the webcams I watch,seems to have improved (brilliant sunshine and clear blue skies this morning)so we're hoping that everything comes together.
Eleven days and not a b***** word from anybody !! Some chat thread this is !! :lol: :lol:
Hi everyone, hope I am doing this right. My wife and I have never visited Portugal and want to visit Tavira in January, any recommendations please for a good hotel and eating out. Its her 70th so somewhere swish for the meal would be great. :roll:
Hi, ntepek, and welcome to Holidaytruths.
You would probably have been better posting your question under its own heading (e.g."Advice for hotels and restaurants in Tavira")but,not to worry,our resident Tavira expert, Pat42, is bound to see your request in this "chat" thread,and what she doesn't know about Tavira isn't worth knowing.
In the meantime you may find the Hotel Reviews section (top of the page,far left) useful.Good luck or Boa sorte as they say in Portugal. :)
Well, SAGRES, Im off to Madeira for January, but I really must confess that although I have been there many many times, I much prefer Lagos. The latter is not so commercial and you dont trip over the mosaic pavements like I do in Funchal! No Sagres beer there but Coral which is brewed by the Pestana Group. However as my daughter works for them I do tend to get special treatment in Madeira :D . Next year my wife and I intend to drive down through Portugal, staying at Pousadas etc. in order to stay again in Lagos. Car is a MINI Cabrio which should be ideal for all that sun. :D Ate Breve
As usual, you are right, Sagres, here I am!!!!!!

Ntepek,
I have stayed in the hotel Vila Gale Tavira and it is excellent and really close to the centre, although it is in a quiet street. We went B&B in January and got an excellent deal with alpharooms.
The hotel is first class and the buffet breakfast was great.
Another consideration is the hotel Porta Nova. I had friends who stayed there and they said it was excellent too. The only drawback is it is up a hill and just a lttle further away (depends on your mobility), but still a good option through alpharooms too.

As for eating......a lot of the restaurants close at that time of the year but you will still have a fair choice.
For the wife's birthday, I would suggest the Nora Velha which is slightly on the outskirts of the town but you could get a taxi for less than 5 euros (maybe only 3) as it is not too far. The food there is lovely especially the fish and the surroundings are nice.
There are lots of other nice restaurants and you might like to try the hotel restaurant?
If you want a nice meal, I know a couple of places that are basic but the food is good and cheap too!!!
The Belafria is opposite the bus station and is run by Portuguese friends of mine. They have been talking about giving it up but am not sure if they have done so yet. (closed on Sundays)
I can't remember the names of these other 2 but I will try to give you directions (they were open last Jan) and are basic but homemade Portuguese food too.
From the main square gardens, if you walk along the side of the river (don't cross it) past the indoor shops and restaurants, you will see some restaurants on the oppoite side of the road. I think it is the 2nd or 3rd last restaurant. (look at the menu outside in the case'cos it's the only one that has turkey steaks with cream.....hubby's favourite)
The other is at the new pedestrian bit with the fountain, cross over the river via the pedestrian bridge. At the end of the bridge you will see an archway on the left, go through it and there is a restaurant entrance on the right......you have to go upstairs to get into it. Look out for their prato do dia (dish of the day) usually tremendous value!!!!

Hope this helps a little but if you want to know anything else, just ask.
Pat
:glynis
P.S. how long are you going for and are you driving/touring and want places to see in the area?
:hyper :hyper ....Just booked a week's b/b at a 4* in Lagos for £350 for two people including flights and transfers 16th - 23rd December.Couldn't have done it cheaper d.i.y. Alright, bus transfers may be a bit of a pain,having been used to private transfers by taxi, but we'll put up with that.D'you know,I do believe I'm beginning to get the Christmas spirit early this year !! :hyper
Well done, Sagres!!!
I'll think about you as we will be travelling about the same time as you to Thailand via Qatar to son's house( !8th Dec then to Bangkok 19th).
Remember to leave some Sagres and tinto for our return in May....
yep, the Christmas spirit has already started here in our house........can't wait for the rest to happen!!!!!!!!
Pat
:glynis
Pat,
When you say the " !8th ", do you mean the 18th or do they have different numbers to us out there ???? :rofl
Yep.......it's definitely the Christmas spirit taking effect :rofl :glynis :rofl
Hi Pat and Sagres for responding. Thanks Pat for the information which was just what I wanted. I am considering driving down for a 2-3 week visit but may take the plane because I am not sure what the weather will be like for driving at this time of the year.
Just booked a week's b/b at a 4* in Lagos for £350 for two people
Have a great time :pele
Yes, have a super holiday, Sagres, and I hope that the weather might have improved by the time you go. Pity we shan't be able to meet up as we go next week, and the sun doesn't look as though he's going to put his hat on for us, unlike this time last year! :shrug
Thanks Glynis - we certainly will.
Roseweb, have a good one yourselves;this time of year we don't go for the weather but anything we get in the way of sunshine will be a bonus.Just been checking out a webcam overlooking Praia da Luz seafront and temp is already 20C but,unfortunately, the sun is yet to put in an appearance.What we really need is a bar with a sunbed !! Now there's a money-spinner of an idea. :sun :glynis :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.