Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Sagres if the cap fits and all that....

That's the problem Wizard - the cap doesn't fit at all !! You ask Glynis (:glynis ) and she'll tell you I'm one of the most sprightly 143 yr-olds you're likely to meet on holiday. :lol:
I'm off to bed now for a 3:30 a.m. taxi ride to the airport;in case I don't have time when we return on the 23rd,have a great Christmas eveyone and Pat 42 enjoy your holiday.
:wave
Expect I've missed you, but have a brilliant holiday Sagres. :D

Thanks for the encouraging post Taff, :D dont suppose I'll have that kind of luck next July though. :roll: Still as long as we get the 4 seats we have booked that will be fine.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Doe xxx
Sagres,
Just got in and realised that I too, will probably have missed you!!! :cry:
Anyway, have a great time in Lagos and a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
No point in saying go easy on the sagres and tinto, 'cos I know I wouldn't, but as we are off to Thailand for 8 weeks and it seems the tinto is expensive (by other drink standards), it'll just have to be the old G&T's for me and God knows what kind of lager for hubby!!!!
So, I'll not be posting for a while but will give a report on my return (17th Feb).

Feliz Natal e Prospero Ano Novo to all !!!!
Pat
:glynis
Pat42
Watch out for the lager in Thailand ...its a good deal stronger then the stuff you get in Portugal. They also do produce their own wine in small quantities which is reasonable. Eight weeks in Thailand ...wish I was going.
That's the problem Wizard - the cap doesn't fit at all !! You ask Glynis and she'll tell you I'm one of the most sprightly 143 yr-olds you're likely to meet on holiday.

Our Sagres and his wife are lovely :kiss
Hope you're having a great time :glynis
Please can anyone help? Many years ago I visited the Algarve and used to go to a reataurant just out of town called 'Hernandos Hideaway' (Ithink). The owner at that time used to send a car to pick us up at our hotel and take us back again. Can anyone tell me if this place is still in existance? We are coming over Christmas and I would love to visit there again if possible.
Thanks
Barb
Hi Barb,

Assuming the bit of the Algarve you visited was Albufeira, sorry but Hernandos Hideaway is now closed and up for sale. :cry:

Cheers

Perry
Hi Glynis,
Thanks for the vote of support. :) Having a great time - weather better than we could have dreamt of -been here 4 days and have had 4 days of clear blue skies and sunshine.Gets a bit chilly after sundown, but only 'til you walk through the door of the bars !!
For those of you who know Lagos, the town looks really great with its Christmas lights - absolutely every street is lit up and lots of the boats moored on the Marina have got Christmas lights on their masts and rigging.Having second thoughts about going home on Saturday !!
Have a good Christmas, everybody.
Hi Sagres, Glad to here you are enjoying your holiday & the weather is good. Its freezin here in Manchester and loadsa fog. All flights from Liverpool were grounded yesterday due to fog. Hope your practising on the vinho for christmas i'm sure you will be. Best wishes for a Wonderful Christmas & a Splendiferous New Year to you and the missus. Cheers Jayjan
Have a nice one Sagres. I'll get my own back when we come over golfing in February. :)
Hi Sagres

Glad your having a good one, sounds like the weathers great for the time of year, know wonder you don't want to come back. :D Foggy and cold in London as well.

Doe :D
Weather is better than we could have hoped for.I've just come from the hotel's terrace and the temp in the sun is an unbelievable 78f !!! I really don't want to leave tomorrow - what are the chances of the fog thickening in the U,K ? :lol:
Hi Sagres, The fog is supposedly gonna carry through the weekend. My hubbys flight home with Jet2 today (Friday) is delayed by 1 hour & half departing from Manchester into Faro, well thats what its showing now on the airport website so what time he will get home god knows, just hope there isnt a bad knock on effect at Faro airport. Have a safe journey home, back to the cold foggy weather. Cheers Jayjan
Hi Martin,

back in blighty mid jan, see you for a couple of pints!

Merry Xmas all, hope all your flights are okay.

Perry
Just to wish everyone on the Algarve/Portugal chat a Happy Christmas & Prosperous New Year. Feliz Natal & Ano Novo. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks,jayjan and Boas Festas to you and yours.
Roseweb, we managed to find the Chamine tinto you recommended in Lagos; tried it and were a little disappointed until we noticed that it was the 2003 we had bought and not the 2005 which you recommended.Went to Pingo Doce and couldn't find any there, but, on Friday found the 2005 on offer in a tiny local's supermarket at €4:99 !! Hurried back to the hotel to try it and really enjoyed it - a totally different drink to the 2003. Thanks for the tip.
Looked for it in Faro duty-free but not available; what they did have was Monte Velho tinto at €5:00 a bottle.
Algarve Addict,
You were asking about restaurants which may be able to cater for a member of your party who likes only plain food in small portions.
I did a bit of research for you and came up with mixed results but hope that the following may be some help :
Our favourite restaurant - O Galeao - was,unfortunately,closed for the holidays,so I was unable to ask, but I (or rather Mrs S.) clearly remembers them serving omelettes there on request.We had a look at a new restaurant called "Pinnochio" situated in a side street just off the Praca Gil Eanes(the one with the "spaceman" statue-turn right by the Gil Eanes snack bar,then take either your first or second left)-there is a huge menu outside with plenty of plain stuff as well as Portuguese and international dishes;prices look very reasonable and the place appears very clean but we didn't get around to trying it ourselves,so please don't take it as a personal recommendation.
We did,however,find ourselves chatting one night in a bar(now there's a big surprise !!) to the head chef and owner of "A Veneza" restaurant (further up the Rua 25 Abril from "Dom Sebastao" and on the left of the street.He said that it would be no problem at all to provide something plain and simple for one of your party ( for the rest of you,try the flambeed desserts - they're sensational !! )If your Portuguese is up to scratch,ask for Snr. Edouard and he will come and attend to you personally;otherwise mention to one of the waiters(who virtually all speak better English than Edouard) what you need and it won't be a problem at all.In fact, with a party the size of yours at that time of the year,any restauranteur in his right mind is going to bend over backwards to accomodate you.
Hope this is some help.
Thank you Sagres for taking the time and trouble to ask for us we know where la Vinzensa is as when we used to stop in lagos many years ago we used to go there ,but we were told it had changed hands so did not go again .Should have tried it as the flambeed desserts were why we liked it in the first place.So I think that will be our port of call .Thank you again
P.S Your photos of the lights were lovely
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.