General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Freeze small water bottles, they'll stay colder for longer.
-stick your sugar in the fridge too to stop any beasties sniffing it out
-buy ham and cheese over the counter at the supermarket its about half the price of the prepacked stuff
-in the weeks you count down to your hols learn one new word/sentence every day for the langauge of the country you are going to
-take a bungie thing, good for your suitcase, tying lilos up to transport them to and from the beach and the make a decent makeshift washing line
I always like to keep my eye drops in the fridge while abroad, what a lovely feeling for the morning after.
If you've got a washer in your apartment, set it to work while you are out for the evening.
Put it out next morning - pack in suitcase when dry - less to wash when you get home! :tup
We buy those huge bottles of water then decant them into a couple of smaller bottles and pop them overnight in the freezer (leave a gap for expansion). We leave a bottle in the fridge for the first part of our day.

Next day we usually head off for a bit of sight seeing then head to the beach. By now the water is just about melting and is glorious and cold. Sometimes, it's even still quite frozen so we use it under the towel as a cooling neck rest or roll it under your feet for instant relief.
If I'm self catering I do that with the 1.5/2 ltr bottles so they are frozen in the morning. They gradually melt as the day goes on (depending how hot it is) and you can keep taking swigs of icey cold water.

TIP - if the bottle is very full drink some out of it because the ice expands the bottle and if there is too much water in the plastic will shatter and then it'll be good for nothing. :whoops
That's what I said Sandc - leave a gap for the expansion or the top can be forced off in the freezer as well :tup
Glenys and SandC, we always do that too!
(Do it at home as well - but with tap water.)i
when you are in duty free at the airport and cant decide what perfume to but why dont you ask if the got any free samples, they come in tiny bottles so you can get as many as you like without spending anything or taking up much room in handluggage , and you wont have to worry about it smashing and spilling everywhere and you get a choice of what up to date perfume you want to wear!
I don't think they have too many small sample sizes at the Airport, better to ask in department stores where they usually have loads.
I asked at Stansted once and the assistant said that they didn't carry any, normally the idea is to give to customers who will buy the next time they are there, but as most customers only visit once a year it's not deemed as worth it. I've also asked at Gatwick and been told they don't carry them.
Maybe they are giving out the trial sizes now as it was a couple of years ago when I tried.
thats true but if you dont ask then you never know!!! ;) my mums just came back and she she got loads but it depends what airport you fly from i suppose
Which Airport did your Mum fly from Kellbells, it's worth knowing?
:tup
When I pack our cases I allways spread everyones clothes in an even mixture btween the cases .....I have not ever forgotten the story on one of the earliest versions of holidays from hell of the poor woman who went for a special anniversary holiday and her case got lost and she had to wear her husbands clothes and stuff that people gave her when they were returning home for the whole 2 weeks in a really posh hotel, poor woman .
I saw that happen to a young girl years ago in Gran Canaria.

The poor girl (aged about 14) was having to wear her mum's clothes
so my friends and I all gave her bits of our stuff.
(I'll never forget the look of pure misery on that girls face :( )

Since then, we've always mixed our stuff, whether travelling with friends
or family.
Take scans of any important confirmations/passports etc and mail them to yourself at a web-based account such as Hotmail. That way if you lose anything on paper you have it online.
wet a flannel and keep it in a fridge, its wonderful on really hot days.......

take a cheapo bath mat to stop you from slipping getting in or out of the bath

and take plugs, for the sink/bath, as most places we go dont have them ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.