Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
Hi mumincharge aka karen sounds like you had a fab time. what type of room were you in ? have your kids got their own passports or are they on yours? what time was it getting dark in the evening cos I read some where the beach bar closed at dusk thats where we fancied hanging out.did you get a jippy tum? was the buffet busty cos we like to beat the rush. thanks karen
Cheers" carrott 2502.
we all have our little quirks if ginger beer is your bag the thats fine, what I want to know is when do you book your meals is it the day before or have you lost out on the chineese.
hi carrot and sponge bob !
looks like i will have to change my tipple !
i was in the special forces for 9 years , most of that in zimbabwe and libya, and as for green and keen you never lose that m8 ,you should know that being ex-forces yourself ! were you in the fusiliers ?
i must say the lti looks out of this world can't wait !
cheers for the ginger beer thing carrot !
i look forward to meeting you sponge bob i think we may have a lot in common .
see you soon skully xxxxxx
Hi All,
can't believe how many posts have come up this weekend.
Its great to hear the new reviews of the hotel.
I go in just under 4 weeks time now and am nearly have everything sorted, just need to get some more mosquito stuff then as I always get bitten really badly.

Thanks everyone.

NIcky
skully please don't use phone text style abbreviations ie m8 for mate. Thanks.
HI KKAZZ (is that another Karen?)

Yes we enjoyed it very much.

We were in a standard room which was two large singles plus a reasonable putuup which fitted nicely into the alcove in the room. We only had the one boy 12 it worked out OK (except he's going thru the shy stage so we kept having to turn our backs!) He is still on my passport no problem with that.

It got dark about 7.00 I think probably later as the years gets on. The beach bar closed about 6.00 pm.

Our favourite haunt was the terrance bar behind the main restaurant, for the sports enthusiast the sports bar is open late too. They had some of the matches on there but if you asked reception they said not - but the lads in the bar put it on.

There are two buffet areas in the main restaurant upstairs and downstairs we preferred the staff downstairs the food was allbutthesame (ice cream only downstairs). It got busy at times but never that bad, despite the all day eating breakfast 7 - 10 (late breakfast - left overs 10 - 11) the beach snack area from 11.30 - 5.00 ish - cakes on the terrance bar from 4.30 - 6.00 ish the resturarant from 7.00 - 10.00 and midnight buffet (left overs) from 12.00 - 1.00 most people got there at the 7.00 pm start. If you eat at 9.00 there was still all the foods it was regularly refreshed.

My suggestion would be on the first day or two heavily tip one waiter in one area of the restaurant (I mean may be 20 LE (£2.00 !!) or more if you are feeling generous) and then when you come in with the kids if there is not a table free or clear and you go up to him, he will sort one out for you, just keep small tips flowing and smile on your face and joke to share they will help out. We were only 3 so never had any problems finding a table.

We did have very regular bowel movements!! I put this down to toooo much food, tooooooooo much alchohol (Ramsis cocktail - Vodka, orange juice and grenadine) tooooooo much sun and toooooo much bottled water.

Take diacalm and a sense of humour you'll love it.

Karen
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the detailed review of the resturants. So if my kids want icecream we had better go to the downstairs buffet!

Thanks again

Nicky :)
Hi Karen

Glad you had a great time and thanks for the info my hubby will be so pleased as he hates having to wear long trousers on hols.
You say your room was ok in block 4 in the hotel reviews some one says these rooms are shabby and dated so I rang my tour operator to ask not to be in these rooms. Suppose everyone has different views.
Not long to go will be there a week before skully and sponge bob hopefully will see you round the bar mine's a beer!! lol
Thanks Karen
Marg
Just wanted to reassure anyone who is booked into this hotel that we had a fabulous week there recently. Our room was very spacious and cleaned immaculately each day by Ali, who was a lovely man. We tipped him at the beginning of the holiday about £5 sterling, and he left us extra towels, bathrobes and made our beach towels into swans!! I also had a gardener who brought me fresh flowers daily. I know they do it for everyone but it don't half make a girl feel good!!

We found all the staff very friendly and helpful and it's a good thing to leave small tips as they do remember your name and want to come to visit when you're back home! Just a word of warning about the health centre; I found the staff there not very friendly (I think it is a private firm that run it). Also I booked for a massage and body scrub not thinking it would be a male, and shall I say I was a little embarassed at times!! It was not what I'm used to at the Living Well in Cardiff!

The food in the restaurants was good - plenty of it for every taste. We found the Russians very rude - pushing in at the queue and treating the staff in a very condescending way. We avoided the salad and only drank bottled water but the beer and the red wine were fine. We didn't have any tummy problems really but I did have a nasty accident on the last day when out in the sea. It was very low tide and I slipped on some stones put my hand out to break my fall and sliced my finger on some coral! It was very bad and we had to walk back about a mile nearly to the hotel. The doctor in the clinic put 4 stitches in my finger without any anaesthetic and I have never felt such pain! When I got home and went to hospital they said it was a real mess and there was quite a lot of coral in my finger. Anyway, just be careful out there and hopefully you won't need to use this doctor. It cost £80 for the privelege as well!!

All in all it was the best holiday we have been on and I recommend the snorkelling by boat to Ras Mohammed and the Coloured Canyon trip (but it is very gruelling).

That's it for now.

Mary Tong
hi all
here's a good one for all those who are bothered with mozzys ,
eat marmite ! start eating it about two weeks before you go maybe on toast in the morning, it gives off an odour that mozzys don't like ! its been tried and tested all over the world by soldiers and hillwalkers , and trust me it really works ! hope this info puts your minds at rest !
see some of you soon (8 weeks to go )
cheers skully
  • Edited by skully 2005-05-07 20:01:17
hi again,
could anyone tell me about the food in the bedouin tent , what time it opens , and if you have to book in to eat there , any info would be GREAT ! can you get shandy at the bars ? sponge bob have you got a MATE called squidwurt ?
no one has mentioned the shop on site ! is it any good ? (is there one)
can you get kebabs over there and what meat is it ?
thats all for now !
marg i am sure we will have a howl in one of the bars , my wife is absolutly krackers ! see you there , skully
LTI
Hi" Skully and Sponge Bob
Will see you there, I think off the Telley He's called Squidward but that's another storey. my husbands krakers too. I just can't wait. I would like to try every thing even if I end up with a dodgey tummy. hope it's not Camel though. :D :D :D :D :D :D
lti
hi skully you and your wife sound like you can have some fun, we are going from manchester as well might see you at the airport. will have to arrange to meet you and your family and spongebob and family and put some faces to these names, how about the beach bar if any one else wants to meet the more the merrier. 54 days and definately counting. :lol: :lol: :lol: ! havent got any remedies for mozzie bites but have witnessed salted peanuts being used effectively to get rid of leg cramps.
hi kazz !
beach bar sounds good to me , just wondering how can peanuts stop you from getting cramp ? never heard of that one before ! has anyone tried the sauna while they have been there if so whats the script about booking it ! same with the gym .
cheers skully
lti
sorry to bang on again, but has anyone stayed in the family room( not the junior suite coz i think they are different) are the beds all cramped together or is there some space? some one mentioned a little train does this just go round the hotel or does it go further? still counting the days!
roll on 30th june :!:
Hi kkazz, skully, sponge bob,

Seems like we could have quite a party at the beach bar my party go fromm birmingham on 23rd june for 2 weeks and we are 4 adults and 3 kids and we are all up for a good night out.
Looks like the lack of entertainment will be no problems as we will all be making our own!!
Will have to make arrangements as to what we all look like.
By the way mines a pint!!
See you all soon
Love Marg
Hi, We are going out to grand Azure in two weeks, does any one know if the kids are allowed inflatable rings, airbeds etc in the pools?
:lol: Be there from the 19th May for 2 weeks 4 adults and 1 child see any 1 there for a beer?

Please do not post in phone style text Briar
Hi Oggy and Phil.
How old are your kids?
We shall be there May 30th for two weeks, with our 5 year old daughter and 11 month old baby.

I believe inflatables are allowed in the pools.

Cheers

Nicky
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.