France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Paris...
111 Posts
for hotels try www. tripadvisor.com
mostly american comments (lots of beds too small etc) but helpful as it lists hotels with links to bed-booking agencies which gives a clue as to prices. go for direct web links to hotels and haggle for your own deal
I struggled as a veggie but then i avoid dairy too and eggs - in fact am vegan now.

If you can eat cheese then pizzas are everywhere! I use to go into the department stores to eat - they have nice help yourself salad carts and pasta bars - found nice meals there!

Otherwise its a lot of cheese and eggs, know a vegan who lives in Paris part of the year - can ask her for ideas if you want?

Alison :D
i travelled used to live in france with a friend who was vegetarian and she didn't struggle - pizza and pasta is widely available and around the ile saint louis (a visit to berthillon for sorbets and ice-cream when doing notre-dame is a must) there is a fab place that does savoury crepes and salad - a great and v filling lunch. if you eat seafood, there is a chain called leons - there are branches all over paris and they do great moules - frites (mussels in sauce and chips).

some useful phrases are:

are there any vegetarian restaurants here?
est-ce qu'il y a des restaurants vegetarians ici?
(es keel ya day resto-ron vay-zhayta-ryan eesee)

do you have any vegetarian dishes?
vous avez des plats vegetariens?
(vooz avay day pla vay-zhayta-ryan?)

which dishes have no meat/fish?
quels sont les plats qui n'ont pas de viande/de poisson?
(kel son lay pla kee non pa duh vyond/ duh pwason?)

is it made with vegetable stock?
est-ce que c'est fait avec du bouillon de legumes?
(es kuh say feh avek doo boo-yon duh laygoom?)

hope this helps - have a wonderful time :D
Don't forget - there's a big thread about Paris in the City Breaks forum too!
Hi does anyone kow what disneyland paris is like and what the 3 day trip to paris in the iblis hotel is like? its an offer for 3days paris disneyland. anyone done this before. any information be good

regards lee we are going 9th december 05
Hi Lee

Some Disneyland info HERE

Pippy :D
haven't stayed in an ibis at disney but i have stayed in a couple of ibis hotels in france (caen and ibis gare d'est). they are great hotels, usually very centrally located, great sized rooms and very comfortable. if you book room only you can buy breakfast which will keep you going for most of the day!!
I'm trying to find a good hotel in Paris that's central and wont break the bank. Does such one exist??

We dont want to stay at a 5*, just as long as its clean and the people are friendly, but location and price are essential, as Id rather spend the money elsewhere. Dont even mind if it's a Holiday Inn, had a look at them, but cant really make head nor tail of the districts :S

Can anyone help??
Have you looked at Ibis we have only stayed in them at Versailles and Suresnes which is near Bois de Bologne and the race course but very reasonable I have a book somewhere if you need more info
Oh I forgot to ask....

which district is best to stay at :?
Depends what you mean by best! Best hotels? Best nightlife? Best for being close to major attractions.

If you are on a tight budget you may find it better to stay out in the 12th eme somewhere near the border with the 4th or the 11th. We stayed near Place de la Nation which only took 10 mins into the centre on the metro. Fairly quiet neighbourhood but with an adequate number of bars and restaurants which were not quite so expensive as the central area. We also stayed 10 mins walk from the Eiffel Tower in 15th eme. This was very much a local area, no tourist tack and lots of bistro's, bars and the local boulangerie...delicious!

Some people on tight budgets recommend the Pigalle area. Personally, I found it a bit dodgy at night but you will find lots of cheap hotels there.
LOL sorry forgot to elaborate!! :)
I dont really want the nightlife, as even though were going over my birthday, I want a romantic break away with boyf (and can celebrate when we get home :)) so not really bothered about that. But, I do want some area where I can walk back to the hotel at night, or day if we go for a drink say, and feel safe.

I'd like to be quite central to all the major attractions that's the main thing really, and what Id ideally like to be paying is about £50 per room per night, or less if I can manage it!!! The hotel doesnt have to be a palace, just clean and decent beds!

I like the sound of that 15eme! Love boulangeries and creperies!! :) I might be wicked and send boyf out on his own :) Im fluent in French but he cant utter a word :P
We used http://www.hotels.me.am/ to book and looking through a search now (is it January you want to go?) you can get a double room in a two star hotel, beginning of January, for three nights for £147 (which by my reckoning is less than £50 per night per room!)and it's pretty close to the Eiffel Tower!

We stayed in Ares Hotel Paris, which is more money but well worth it, for peace, cleanliness and centrality being 5 mins walk from the Eiffel Tower. Never seen a bad review about the place.

If you really want some good advice, get yourself a decent book such as Let's Go, Paris and plan, plan, plan although they do some suggested itineraries. They even make sense of the arrondissements!
Thanks Magster for all your help!! Am very looking forward to it now!!

Yes we are going 2-7 January hopefully with my 20th birthday falling on the 4th, so we are hoping to have dinner at the Jules Verne that night, and perhaps the Moulin Rouge.....so will have to book JV straight away to secure our window seat :D
Have a lovely time. Paris is my favourite city and it will be wonderful for just you and the BF. We go with our children who take great pleasure in pointing out every snogging couple they see (and there are hundreds) and sniggering and making smacking noises. Fortunately for you we are not going again until February. Why we are flying out on Valentine's Day with two children sharing a family room, I'll never know! I think we have our priorities all wrong!
Hehehe leave the kids at home and just go with hubby :D

I cant wait now, I think there's something magical about Paris that just makes it that extra bit special and romantic :)
We have booked our hotel in Paris!!

Its the Eiffel Rive Gauche Hotel, and I think its either in 15eme or 7eme, 2 blocks away from the tower, and has 4 rooms with a few of the Eiffel, one of which we have requested. Ive had some correspondance with the Hotel and they seem like REALLY nice people, so cross fingers!!! YAY for my first DIY!! LOL

http://www.hotel-eiffel.com

Things are starting to come together!!
Well I'm hoping to go to paris december, just before Christame and was hoping if maybe someone could help me out with some queries,

1 - Is transport from the Charles De Guilles(is that right??) airport easy. and for that point is transport in paris easy?

2- Should I go for 3 nights or 4?

3 - I got a price of £350 for 3 nights and £400 for 4 is this good enough or do you think I should either try somewhere else or wait for the price to drop?

Thankyou People :D :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.