Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
what factor
72 Posts
I hope you will have a great holiday, enjoy yourself and family.

Michelle xx
hi derwentrocker,
we were there in june last year as well, it must be awful working with cancer sufferers..like i said earlier i do watch the kids as i know their future depends on me and what i do, what i said abt lanzarote was true.. the lad that was burnt had a very high factor on and he was in a right state. the poor bairn was in agony and his mother had to get the doctor, who gave them prescription for cream and it made it worse, she then saw the woman who sells the sun cream products around the pool and was told abt high factors working like wax, she did have to buy cream off the woman which was expensive but it worked, so what is the best to use??. we all have diff skin.. my kids have NEVER burn`t but i do put cream on them constantly as they are always in the pool

sharon
I appreciate what you are saying, at least you use protection, so many people i see on the beach in Egypt that do not seem to use any :yikes
I do seem to notice that italians only wear factor 2 but that is possibly because they come from a hot country.
my husband uses factor 2 but he has very greasy skin...he still has the white patches from last year, but i go on sunbeds before i go away and build it up slowly using them, which is why i get away with the low factors for me, i think it`s everyone to their own but it`s not always what others think

sharon
I thought that getting a tan from the sun bed would not stop you getting burnt in the sun ?
If you go on a sun bed for a few sessions before you go on your holiday it would help. Using sun beds too much would give you leathery skin, but actually a few sessions before you go is less harmful than direct sunlight and in that heat.
Going to have to jump in here because it's a myth sunbeds are less harmful than natural sunlight! I DO use sunbeds though even though I know they're dangerous :oops: :oops:

More info HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
hi sorry im confused now !! am i right in thinking then if i go and have say three sessions on the sunbeds before i go to sharm this saturday it will reduce the chance of me getting sunburnt ? or does it mean if i use the sunbeds this week i can use a lower factor ? :? jill
Well i would still use the 25/30 factors. Better to be safe than sorry :cry:
My daughter a health visitor,takes her children abroad and they come back WITHOUT a tan.They wear those suits that are UV resistant and she puts factor 50 on the skin that is exposed to the sun.I cringe when I see young children with a tan as its the sign of sunburn.I also am a nurse and have worked in a dermatology unit and seen the effects of exposure to the sun.Melanoma is on the increase in this country mainly because people are not protecting themselves adequately.The effects of not useing enough protection may not be apparent for several years.
Jill

Sunbeds can be harmful if used a lot, but if you use them a couple of times, there is just a slim chance that any harm would come to you, unless you are on any form of medication, certain kinds, and also if you are extremely white, or are freckley. if you do go on one, use there cream they provide, it brings on the tanning process. Only go on a short time as they will advise you.

Going on a sunbed doesnt mean you can go on a lower factor, it just helps you not to go that initial 'red' if you are very white. Also to give you a head start when tanning.

People even myself years ago thought the lower the factor the more brown you get, this isnt true, the higher the sun cream the better because it gives you the protection you need. Blocking out the rays. But still tanning you the same.
hi all thanks for all your views and comments i am going to have a couple of sessions on the sunbeds to start my tan and use 25 factor while i am in sharm next week i will let you all know how i get on thanks again jill x 8)
Please all remember though, don't rely on sunscreen alone! Wear hats to protect your scalp, use the shade and try to stay out of the sun at the hottest part of the day!
hi we will wear hats just had our hair done :) and we will stay in the shade durring the hotest part of the day the bar :wink: many thanks jill & jenny :wink 8) 8)
i will try that char ,i think theres some shade over the pool bar ,thats the best place to find me .i'll be the one as red as a lobster :yikes :yikes :whoops
soryy people been busy,

i have started using the sunbeds now, 4 mins a couple of times a week, after abt 6 weeks i`ll go on for 8 mins twice a week and my body will be just right for july when we go to egypt.. i think i use the sunbeds sensibly, the woman in the shop wouldn`t let me do to much anyway, she advises me when i`m ready to go for the 8 mins.. it`s only a small place 2 units in the shop so you get good service, advice etc

sharon
yes blakfox i think youve got it sussed the pool bar is the best place to be during the hottest part of the day i know we will be there :wink: :wink: well we wouldnt want to burn now would we ? jill & jenny
aye 2 weeks 2 days till csr cant wait .the case is bulging with suntan oils in different factors ,might even use them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What factor will I need for September/October?

After reading this thread with interest, I have been out and bought factor 30 ambre solaire milk to go away with. Got 3 bottles for £10 in a shop near where my sister lives. Thought it was a bargain.

Maybe I'm naive but I thought the lower the factor, the better your tan would be. :roll: Are you sure I'll get a tan wearing factor 30 because I'll be gutted if I come back white.

When I go away, I usually wear P20. But I'm going to try ultrasun this time as you don't have to wait so long before going out in the sun and apparently doesn't stain clothes like P20 does. I got this off the plane last year on our way home. It's the same principal as P20 being a once a day application. Will this be ok or will I have to apply it more if it's really hot? Not sure what temperature it will be that time of year. Can anyone tell me who has been that ime of year.

many thanks,
Emma
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.