Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Well this is my last night here in Sharm, leaving at 18.45 tomorrow for flight at 21.20 :cry: No bad tummy for the whole two weeks!

I'm ready with the immodium in case the big 'D' should strike just before the flight, in that instance the plug is the best solution! :lol:

Pippy :D
Just use the padding from your bikini, Pip.
Hi

I am going to Hyatt Regency on Monday and everytime i mention i am going to Egypt everyone sais we will probably get tummy troubles.

I have bought medicine for back up but can anyone give advice on how to avoid this and also is it safe to drink the ice (I hope most hotels buy in the ice) and eat the salad.

Any help would be appreciated for me and my children
I would buy some of that gel cleansing stuff like they use in hospitals, a quick dab of this rubbed into your hands after handling money - especially paper money is a must I would say. We were fine the two times we have been to Egypt and aqte the Hotel salads a lot and had ice in drinks in the Hotel bar too
I have read this thread with great interest. I live on imodium over here let alone when I go abroad. I have suffered dodgy guts in Spain, Cyprus and Greece and no doubt am going to in Egypt.
I don't blame the food, more the climate but I always drink plenty of water. However as my body is reliant on Imodium, I was wondering if my quick fix medicine 'kaolin and morphine' would do the job.
However I do think on this occasion I am going to visit my GP, as my local pharmacy always tells me to be careful how much I take (as I took 2 bottles with me to Crete last year, never mind the added packs of imodium) :(
I just can't help it, my whole holiday will be spent in my room if I don't bind myself up.
What a subject :whoops
But I will be taking all the good advice from here especially getting the typhoid and Hep A jabs.
I have tried numerous times to get rid of my bad stomach, the fact of the matter is i lay out in the sun and not under the shade, i do drink plenty, i never handle the money, for the first time ever my husband is in charge of it, germs and all :D

As soon as i get the grips and runs, i get the injection from the doctor on campus, brilliant they are, and it works and stops. Costs £35 and thats all you pay, get the money back from insurance.
Hi Derwentrocker , Is there really an injection that you can get, just once?
I wouldn't mind one per week if I could relax, and enjoy my holiday without having to sit near the toilets.
Hi Beth

yes i have the injection in resort from the doctor, it was the thomson rep who told me about it as he suffers as well. I have tried everything, its true its called traveller diarrhoea, and is associated with hot sun, and not enough shade. You need to eat bulk foods, fish and rice. I just go to the doctor and ask for the injection, he exams you really well and gives you an injection on your thigh, then a supply of tablets, all one price. If however the injection shouldnt work by the next day, you see him again for another, this is stronger. They start with the less stronger first. It doesnt cost any more money for the same symptoms. By the time you have bought antinel, buscopan etc it all add up, so you may as well go to the doctors straight away. It doesnt hurt, and it doesnt ruin your holiday. I have never looked back, have it every time.

Just handling money doesnt cause the runs, its got germs on of course, but its not just the cause. I have never handled any money and drink loads in the day. The doctor said keep off coke as its a stimulate as is coffee, drink sprite as it has lemon in which is a gut reactor to kill germs. I know my problem is being in the hot sun without shade, but thats my problem and i hate being in shade.

I hope that helps.

Michelle x
To add, the injection isnt one per week, you have one or two within 2 days, if runs stop within so many hours, you are cured for 6 weeks, if however you find the runs havent stopped, the other injection will be given, then it stops in an hour.
Well: We came back from egypt end of May. There were me,hubby and 2 kids aged 7 & 9. We all took acidipholus tablets from holland & Barrett for 2 weeks before we went and whilst we were there. We were all fine. My daughter was sick on the last day but I think that was too much sun as she was fine the next day. I think too many people try to blame the hotel all the time,and don't want to accept that most of the time it's too much sun etc.
I along with a few other members took Acidophilus before I went to Sharm and whilst I was there and was not ill.
I wonder if anyone was ill even after taking Acidophilus?
It would be a helpful to guests visiting Sharm in the future to know as there are a lot of bad reviews lately and people are understandably worried.
As a lot of returning guests may not read this would it be possible to start a new thread asking if anyone was ill whilst taking it?
This could prevent a lot of distress to people who get ill.
Prebio 7 is like those actimel drinks, they are expensive though. I got them from H & B, i am going on Monday so i will let you alll know. I have IBS so normally pills and potions dont work for me, but at this stage will try anything.
We used a mixture of vigilance and good hotel selection.

We took loads of anti-bac gels and sprays, used before any hand to mouth activity, or after touching any questionable items (i.e.money etc..). Coupled with good hotel hygeine (Baron Palms Resort) helped prevent most of what I was dreading, and between the 3 of us, we only lost 1 day!

Our Thomson rep suggested anyone experiencing the Pharoah's revenge use the local medication which is in 2 parts. Antinil is for the, well the business end of a tummy upset, and I forget what they suggested for the cramps, but it started with an A.

Whether these were placebo's or not, they acted fairly quickly. I don't remeber too many people grumbling of the trotts, but it is important to respect the power of the Egyptian sun.

Hoping you have a trot free time,

Andy
I'm going in 4 weeks and suffer from IBS, so going anywhere but the UK is always a big problem for me. It ruins my holiday and my families with my unexpected bouts which come on. I lose my appetite completely on holidays (Not a bad thing if I could stay for 6 months I'd come home a new woman :D
So I'm going to try those Acidophilus tablets before now, as recommended by a few of you on here. Thank you for all these tips.
Go to Holland and Barrett and buy Acidiphillus, this is the same stuff as you get in pro biotic yoghurts and drinks but a fraction of the price.

I always take this two weeks leading up to a foreign holiday, and during the holiday, and it seems to make me resilient to tummy
upsets. Got this tip from my GP in England.

He said that any aggressive bacteria you will ingest through aircon/water will be rendered neutral with the good bacteria that Acidiphillus contains......works for me!
hi,i just came back from holiday village in sharm,there was 15 in our party we all fell ill but i can tell you the best thing that worked on us and fast was the simple diaorra tabs they cost about 49p a pack of 6 they got an ingredent called lopraminde,we tryed the tablets from over egypt didnt seem to work to much,we tryed ones from home they worked within 10 mins it stopped you running to loo and the cramps.we all still got the cramping stomach now the doctor wanted to send off stool sample to make sure its no nasty bug.also a must is dioralyte they work fab to.i had sun stroke when i was out there,i had a few sachets and they made me come alive(alittle)but i would like to say it never spolit holiday,but that is only because we took the tabs i got from home.
To be honest it doesnt really matter what medicines you take, some will help some not. I have been going for years as a lot of you have also. I have bought every pill and potion even all the stuff from holland and barrett. I was ok until two days before we left for the UK. That said no pills or potions worked for any of my family. It took 2 days out of their holiday. All of us had the injections. Some holiday makers have cast irons stomachs, they are the lucky ones. 98% of holiday makers from the months of April through to the end of October will quite possibly get loose motions, severe cramps, or being sick. It is due to the extreme heat and the food.
For many people going through the winter months when cooler, the air conditioning wont be on, so it is the same temps as inside and out. Air conditioning is reclycled, only use it when not in the room to keep your room cold, turn it off when you enter. Never sleep with it on.
I do not find it exceptable that everyone saves hard for a holiday and we expect to get ill with the above. I personally and my husband found it the last straw. We didn't like the A1 option and found eating out in Sharm not as good this year as previous years either. We have always had cramps and the runs, but never violently sick. We were all so careful.
If we go again, it will be in the winter.
my family took the tablets from holland and barret,so did my children it didnt seem to work.i couldnt take them as im lactose intolrant.the tabs called acidophillus.
I agree with the above by Derwentrocker. It is hit and miss. If you have a cast iron stomach (round of applause).
Myself I took the tablets from Holland And Barrett. I took 3 bottles of Kaolin and Morhin, 2 boxes of immodium and a box of 'Beneflora' (recomended to me also from Holland And Barrett), containing 7 sachets.
For the first 10 days of the holiday, I was great. I was loving it, had a healthy appetite, had a couple of bouts but not awful. To be honest my partner had a couple of loose days but in control, before I went down with Pharaohs revenge. Well it was awful, bright yellow slime, uncontrollable. The cramps almost had me in tears. I had the injection and 4 boxes of different pills which never worked (one box was treatment for dysentery!, then some sachets which they gave me free because I complained everything they gave me had not worked. I knew I had to get through that airport on Thursday.
Oh and no, I was not laid about soaking up the sun drinking alcohol all day. I am a shade person and stuck to the bottled water. I even turned to lemonade thinking the water was the problem.
I absolutely agree with the above post. If you suffer, you are going to suffer.
It took me 4 tablets of the chemist based immodium, and the 3 sachets they gave me for free plus a quarter bottle of Kaolin And Morphine to hold me yesterday for my journey home! All medicines we took and purchased there (£40) were used there.
However don't let that put you off Egypt. It is a beautiful country with wonderful hospitality. I certainly will return here. It was nothing to do with the hotel or food. I am just grateful that I got through 10 days as a lot of people were confined to their rooms for a short period of time within the first week. After all I survived Egypt a lot longer than any other foreign country I have ever visited. ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.