Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Did you leave a written report of complaint in the resort with the rep? Did you ask the hotel to change your room - showing them a copy of the confirmation that said you had booked those facilities?
No rep for us to use so no report left.It was an accomodation only booking. I didn`t ring the uk as I know I would have been fobbed off and it would then have made an issue of the problem and would have spoit our holiday.We did go round quite a lot of hotels to see if there were any rooms spare but all were full.We decided that we would make the most of our holiday.

We asked the hotel owners straight away and then said that they don`t even have rooms for 3 with a balcony so they could never have done it anyway only 7 rooms out of 25 had balconies, they advised us contact the tour opperator.
I'd do that then Christine - you've got nothing to lose.
I would contact them anyway but strongly suspect that as you did not contact soon after arrival they won't entertain any issues now.

What does your terms and conditions state?
It does state that they won`t follow up any compliants that aren`t first reported in resort. I thought this might have been the case but after our arrival and the upset it caused us not having a balcony we didn`t want to spoit our holiday by dwelling on the fact. We booked budget accomodation and new that they would offer us alot more expensive accomodation for an extra supplement.I knew before I booked that there were some rooms without balconies but as it was on my invoice I was happy to book it thinking I had one.

I just think it is disgusting that they can sell rooms without balconies but advertise them as with one, they will be aware of the fact as they send passengers who book with Sunset holidays there and there is a rep based there (he wasn`t on duty for the first 2 days of our holiday)
I just think it is disgusting that they can sell rooms without balconies but advertise them as with one

It is indeed, and contrary to the Trade Descriptions Act. Have a word with the Trading Standards Dept of your council, they could well be interested.

Peter
There can be a problem sometimes getting hold of a rep. I have in the past sent an email to the company when abroad. Always worth considering - you have at least reported it.

fwh
You did report at the resort to the Hotel, They should be able to confirm if required.
I asked the hotel owner why I didn`t have a balcony and she stated that there were only 7 rooms that did and none were triples.She said to contact the tour operator, the way it rolled off her tongue made me feel that it was a common occurance.

I have sent a complaint to Thomas Cook by email today and they have acknowleged it so lets see what they say.

Peter of York, thanks I will contact Trading standards if their reply is not satisfactory.I know I wont get any joy from them but I can at least let other travellers know that they are not getting what they expect.
I hope you get it sorted. You must have been very disappointed.
When we booked holidays in Spain etc, I have never given it a thought that a hotel might not have a balcony!
Thanks for drawing it to our intention.
Can you name the hotel please as it might assist others if they too expect a balcony or patio.
It`s the Vista Al Mar in Es Cana, Ibiza. Thomson use the Las Arenas that is close to Vista Al Mar but they state that the rooms don`t have balconies.

I was supprized when we got there too as I knew there were some rooms without but I thought it was only 1 or 2 not 18 of them without balconies. I have heard of single rooms not having balconies but not family rooms. It was a hostel/ pension type hotel but these are common in Spain and I think are rated as 1 star.
Thomson use the Las Arenas that is close to Vista Al Mar but they state that the rooms don`t have balconies.

I may be reading something into this that isn't intentional, but did you actually book knowing that you would be getting the Vista Al Mar, or was this accommodation allocated on arrival?
Sorry I was going to edit my post to add a further question, but can't edit posts in this thread, so ...

..... may I ask why you mentioned Thomson when you booked your holiday with Thomas Cook and your transport with Jet2? I may well be off the beaten track here, but am rather confused. (Quite a normal state of mind I might add ......... before other members beat me to it!!)
Sorry I was stating that if Thomsons can be honest about the lack of balconies in hotels they use, Why can`t Thomas cook ? I hope I am making sense.
It was an accomodation only booking and I choose the Vista Al Mar.
First good point. It was on your invoice so is part of the contract, nice and clear. So we're dealing with a simple breach of contract.

Second, as I read it they didn't provide a rep service - in which case you can't report it in resort. Any attempt by TC to point to small print requiring you to do something unreasonably difficult can be shot down with the "Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999", notes can be found here

That leaves the question of what do you want from TC? Compensation for loss of enjoyment is always a very grey area, your best bet is to calcuate a value for the balcony. Any idea what the supplement would be at this (or a similar hotel) if you wanted to upgrade from a 2 bed without to a 2 bed with balcony? A clear cash value like that would be easier to claim.

Now the catch. The value of the balcony compared to what you paid could be quite low so although you could have a good technical case it might not be worth chasing.
The value of the balcony compared to what you paid could be quite low so although you could have a good technical case it might not be worth chasing.

All the more reason to go to Trading Standards.

It can be most satisfying when they take on a case and the travel company gets slammed for a couple of thousand pounds in a fine and costs, for ruining your holiday.
Christine said at 14:01 yesterday that it was shown on the invoice. If that is the case it doesn't matter what is or is not in the brochure, the detail on the invoice is the specification the contract was for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.