Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I must admit I thought Ryanair had a rule about not letting some types of agents buy tickets as Joe says but I've seen Ryanair options advertised in packages. It might be they only allow it if sold as part of a package. But how would you do the compulsory online check-in if the account name/password used to buy it was the agents????
I have booked Ryanair flights in the past through travel republic and paid about roughly about one third of the card charges that Ryanair were requesting when booking directly through their website... e.g. Ryanair card charges were about £12 per person whereas it worked out about around £3 - £4 per person through travel republic. So instead of paying £36 I paid a total of £10.77 for 3 people.

I also received a travel itinerary directly from Ryanair (itinerary@ryanair.com) to my email address with the reservation number etc and I was able to log onto the "manage my booking" section on their website to make any adjustments and check in online etc.
it was paragraph 2 of this that I (and Joe) was thinking about,
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/copywrite
they must have an authorised trade system that they don't mention here.
Hi guys i am travelling with ryanair in 3 weeks time from edinburgh to lanzarote for a long weekend, i am taking hand luggage and was wondering if any of you's can help me with the cabin baggage sizes. The dimensions on the website (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) can this be any way round in the cage thing, ie as in a holdall being stood up the way instead of across? My partner is also taking a suitcase and putting this in the hold and i was maybe going to put some of my shoes in his case but just noticed that on Ryanairs website something about pooling or sharing luggage, so i guess does that mean we cant share a hold case?
The dimensions on the website (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) can this be any way round in the cage thing, ie as in a holdall being stood up the way instead of across?

It doesn't matter which way you put it in as long as it does fits inside. I don;t use Ryanair myself but noticed that last time I flew out of Edinburgh there were Ryanair staff doing spotchecks at their departure gate with a cardborad box! If they couldn't slide the box over the bag then people were being truned away to go and check the offending bag in. So make sure that your holdall once packed really is within the size limits.

My partner is also taking a suitcase and putting this in the hold and i was maybe going to put some of my shoes in his case but just noticed that on Ryanairs website something about pooling or sharing luggage, so i guess does that mean we cant share a hold case?

As long as the case is within the weight allowance he's pre-booked you'll be OK doing this. Some airlines let people aggregate their weight allowance, for example if you've got an allowance of 15 kgs per person, they'll let a couple on the same booking take one case weighing 20kgs and another 10kgs between them. But Ryanair doesn't allow this and this is what their rule is referring to and there is no reason why you can't pay for just one checked in case and use it to carry belongings from both of you. When they ask him the security question about whether he's carrying anything for anybody else they are not interested in whether he's got a pair a pair of your shoes in it but possible suspicious packages given to him by someone who isn't on the flight. They are not going to ask him to unpack it and ask him why he's got a pair of high heels in his case :D

SM
kazaa,

As long as the bag can be squashed to fit inside the measuring basket, it doesn't matter. Be warned though, if it won't, it's likely you'll be charged to put it in the hold as Ryanair are very strict on baggage. There's no reason why you can't put a few things in the case as long as you don't exceed the booked weight limit / number of bags. Although this is strictly speaking pooling the allowance, you just have to play the game. Bear in mind the security question at check-in, but a pair of shoes or a few clothes isn't going to cause a security breach so just answer no, he's not carrying anything for anyone! If there's room in the case and your bag is pushing the limits, I'd put some things in the case just to be on the safe side.

Darren
Thanks Darren and Sm for the replies, they have put my mind at ease, another quick question my partner has paid for the 20 kilo baggage allowance(£70) return and whilst i was browsing there it says on ryanairs website:

(Each passenger may check in up to two checked bags upon payment of the applicable checked baggage fees by electing to purchase a checked baggage allowance of either 15 kilos or 20 kilos when make their initial booking.)

He has paid the 70 pounds for the 20 kilos , but can this be put into 2 bags weighing 10 kilo each, or would he need to pay for another bag?

thanks again sorry to be a pain with all the questions.
Son returned on Ryanair from Tenerife last week. He was a bit concerned before he went because his hand luggage was slightly larger than the allowed size. He said that everybody had to try fitting their luggage into a container at the boarding gates and thankfully his fitted no problem. If you get turned back at the gate, not sure that you'd be able to go back to check-in to check it into the hold though. Would time allow that? I doubt it.
Shirley

I think at the boarding gate if your bag dosnt fit, into the rack, ryanair will charge £35 and place it in the hold them selfs, before aloowing them to do this, remove any valuables from your bags, as things like camera, laptops seem to go a missing
Kazza

I think if you take 20 kg and try to split them into 2 x 10kg, you will be charged per each bag

Fees indicate

1st bag 20kg
2nd bag 20kg
Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and I are flying with Ryan Air in just over 3 weeks. Having never flown with Ryanair before, we're a little bit concerned about some of the hidden fees and charges we've read about.

We've booked through Travel Republic, and on the email receipt it says we have the following: Adult Return ticket @£82 QTY 2, Airline failure protection insurance @£0 QTY 2, Taxes fees and charges @£23.57 QTY 2, Web check in @£12 QTY 2, One 15kg hold bag for 1st adult @£35 QTY 1, One 15kg hold bag for 2nd adult @£35 QTY 1, Debit card fee (1.25%) @£3.89

What exactly does that cover us for in terms of Ryanair's fees? Do we still have to pay to check our baggage in online? It's all very confusing :S

If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated :) thanks
there was a post a couple of weeks ago about booking via TR, some of the charges are lower especially the card fee which would have been £24 if done via the Ryanair website. So I can't be sure looking at the numbers whether it's right - but looking at the words it may not be.

It says RETURN tickets. The taxes and fees (which shouldn't be variable by how you book) look a bit low for 2 return trips. The checkin fee is definately low for returns but may be one of the things you get cheaper. The hold bag fees don't make sense at all. For a start it doesn't mention return, and booking online the lowest fee for a 15kg bag in June is £20 per bag per flight. It doesn't come down to £15 until the end of September.

The best thing to do is go into "Manage my Booking" at ryanair.com and look in "View my Booking". Make sure it shows 2 people, 2 bags and everything is return trips. If it's all there then it will be OK even if you haven't been charged the advertised prices. And let us know because if it is right then this sounds like a useful way of saving money!

The free insurance shown is a TR extra, you wouldn't get it if booking direct. Although for all their faults, being at risk of bankruptcy isn't high on the list at Ryanair!
Thanks for your reply. I went onto the Ryanair website to view my booking and it reads as follows.

Pricing
Birmingham T2 (BHX) to Palma Mallorca (PMI) 79.98 GBP
Palma Mallorca (PMI) to Birmingham T2 (BHX) 137.12 GBP

Fees, Services and Travel Insurance
4 x (1st Checked Bag (15kg)) 70.00 GBP
4 x (Web Check in ) 24.00 GBP

Passenger Details
2 Passengers
1. Myself
1st Checked Bag (15kg)
Web Check in
2. My girlfriend
1st Checked Bag (15kg)
Web Check in

One other unusual thing I did notice though, is on our flight details, next to the Outbound flight it says 'No Taxes' whereas on the return flight it says 'Regular fare' :S

Thanks again
that looks fine, you actually saved money on card fees and hold bags (unless you don't come back until late September?). The checkin fee is right, I misread the first post.

the no taxes thing sounds like a Ryanair promotion, you sometimes see a promotional fare advertised at £xx.99 with a claim that it's tax free, those work out at £39.99 so would fit the pattern. It is a slight fiddle by them, clearly you can't get out of paying government tax and airport charges, what they've done is make that fare inclusive. Sounds simple unless you need to cancel - the fares are always non-refundable but theoretically you can claim a refund of the tax and charges, except your invoice says you haven't paid any! The return flight isn't on a promotion so you have got a breakdown.

This has been very useful, it does appear that you can get some of the extras cheaper by booking through TR and everything seems to work because you've got into the booking via the ryanair site. Was this flight only or did you book something else with it?

So all you need to be wary of is printing and looking after your boarding passes, and make sure the bags aren't over 15kg, and your one item of hand baggage each is within their limits for size and weight.
Nope were coming back early July.

This was part of their 'great value holidays' where they do both your flight and hotel. Not sure if there's any differences when choosing the flight option only, but our hotel seemed fairly cheap through them as well. We also opted for a shuttle bus to the hotel from the airport, and vice versa for the return flight, which was nice to have set up for us at a reasonable cost.

My only query with the whole package was the Ryanair flight, but it doesn't appear to be as bad as I first feared :) Thanks a lot for your help. If I come across any hidden hiccups, I'll report back to let you guys know.
You appear to have paid all the fees, but do remember that you MUST check in online before going to the airport. Ryanair do not allow check in at the airport.
You also need to check in for the return flight, do it before you go if you can. (max 15 days before flight)
Boarding cards

Now that most airports have internet terminals, and printing, if you forget your borading card, you should be allowed to use the internet terminal, but I guess ryan air close online checkin 4 hours before your flight departure, but does this only apply to, for checking in online, not if you have already checked in

So could you print your boarding card after the 4 hours, or as I read in another forum ryanair might be blocking this ip address at some airport

It would be one way to avoid the £40 re-issue fee
While returning from Palma last week I watched quite a few people at the Ryanair boarding gate having to shift clothing around because their hand baggage would not fit in the metal basket.
We were actually flying with Easyjet and had the same problem as now it seems the bags must fit in sideways which meant our daughters wheels got a bit stuck. A good shove did make it fit in the end but we have used these cases for years and never had a problems as they have always been measured standing up. Has this changed?
There is no "sideways" with either company or the other airlines with similar rules.

There is a frame, it has on open top so that you can get the bag in - but it is still a top and you can't go higher, some people seemed to think height didn't matter (in which case you could get a surfboard in!!). With some bags, tipping them 90 degrees to the way you carry them gets them into the frame and the airlines aren't bothered which direction the wheels and handles are as long as they fit. But wheels and handles are part of the bag so they have to go in as well. As do the pockets on the outside. Different airlines have different sized frames so you have to read their rules before you pack.

I have seen some people stand bags upright in the frame and although they were a bit "too tall" they were also clearly narrower and the checkin staff have said OK rather than actually tip it over to prove the point but that didn't mean the rule wasn't there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.