Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
The reserve seating option now available to all flights for rows 1,2 16 and 17.

However, can't add it to my existing booking (priority boarding still an option) so it would appear, unless its an IT issue, its only available at the time of making the booking. Never mind, just saved £40 !

Chris

UPDATE: just received feedback from another site that someone was offered reserved seating when they checkedin online, having booked the flight sometime ago.
Ryanair adds new fee to cover cost of Emissions Trading Scheme

Ryanair is introducing a 25 pence levy per passenger for bookings made from next Tuesday (January 17) to cover the costs of the EU's new Emissions Trading Scheme.

Calling it the EU's "eco-looney ETS tax", Ryanair said the tax will cost Ryanair passengers €15 million to €20 million during 2012.

Ryanair communications chief Stephen McNamara said: "Ryanair does not believe that European aviation should be included in the ETS scheme since it accounts for less than 2% of the EU's CO2 emissions.

"This latest EU stealth tax will damage traffic, tourism, European competiveness and jobs at a time when no other economic block is including aviation in their ETS schemes."

With permission from Travelmole

For our Emissions Trading Scheme discussion topic, please click here.
David :wave
Hi
I have booked a cheap flight in April Liverpool to Malaga without Taxes, have not booked a return flight as yet. A return flight in June has taxes on, does that mean that particular date 24th June will always have taxes on, or are they ever removed ? Just trying to save money

Thanks

Tricia
Tricia,

Every flight has a departure and airport tax so I'd be surprised if you've manage to book a flight without any taxes. It's either a mistake during booking, or you didn't notice them at the time.

Darren
dazbo,
ryanair do a lot of special promotion prices where there is no tax shown in the breakdown of price.
they will have to pay departure tax but that comes out their money and shows on your invoice as no taxes.
do a quick check on some of their special offers on their home page and you willl see this.
tricia,
see the bit above. ryanair do this when the flights are selling slowly but tend not to offer this as the flights get near full.
i would guess that you will not see the taxes being taken off now, unless the fares are still very low. with ryanair it is usually best to book early, or as soon as you see your flights on offer.
jimd-f,

Good point, it's a while since I've seen one of them though. They've never been available when I've been booking! No booking doesn't have tax, but if it's a special promotiom it'll be covered under that.

Darren
Thanks Guys for the quick response. Will book my return flight now before it goes up any more !

My outbound flight was only £22.99 - before add ons.

Regards

Tricia
I have booked reserved seats for our flights, is the seat number printed on the boarding cards ?
Do you still have to board first or can you take your time and wait till the end of the boarding, if so will the seats still be "vacant"

Thanks
Hi everyone

We are hoping to take our daughter on her first holiday abroad in May of this year, when she will be 18 months old.
Unfortunately, the only airline that flies to Alicante from our local airport is Ryanair. I have flown with them before and have not particularly enjoyed the experience. I don't like the "scrum for seats" idea at all.

I know that Priority Boarding and reserved seating can be booked for an extra fee, but am a bit dubious about these - the info on reserved seating on the Ryanair website seems to suggest that it may not be guaranteed that seats will actually be reserved in all circumstances (perhaps that is just me misreading it) and, although I have seen Priority Boarding work well from this end, I have seen it fail spectacularly from the Alicante end.

My question is - can anyone explain to me how the reserved seating system works and does Priority Boarding actually work properly from Alicante?

Being my daughter's first trip on a plane at such an early age, obviously we want it to be as pleasant and stress free as possible, which I am very worried we will not get with Ryanair.
I have used Ryanair priority boarding many times at ALC and it works well. You simply join the shorter queue at the gate marked PRIORITY Q. You are then boarded first. If boarding is by bus then there is a separate area on the bus for priority boarders and the bus doors to this area are opened first when you reach the aircraft. Depending on how many priority boarders there are it can sometime be a smaller scrun to get to the aircraft doors first! I usually board at the rear and take a seat over the wing.
I've just read the Ryanair website about reserved seating. You can reserve seats in row 2 and also rows 1, 16 & 17 which are emergency exits. To reserve a seat in rows 1, 16 & 17 you have to be 16 years and older, willing to help in the event or an emergency, not travelling with an infant, not using a seat belt extender.

The fee for reserving (£10/€10 per seat one way) is not refundable if you cannot use the seat due to one of the above reasons.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-reservedseating
Good afternoon :)
We are flying with Ryanair to Reus airport in July with a 2 year old and a 9 year old and im wondering if we will definately be allocated seats together on the plane? Or is it a matter of who checks in at the airport first?

Sorry if this seems a silly question, its just that ive just read a preview post about a 'scrum for seats' :(
Thanks for any replies guys :)

Emma B :tup
Welcome to HT Emma - I hope that someone is able to post a more helpful reply to your other question on another thread :)

Ryanair doesn't allocate seats - hence the 'scrum for seats'. Families with young children are usually called for boarding before the general scrum but I can't remember whether this is before or after those who have paid extra for 'Priority Boarding' because it's so long since I last used Ryanair as I am not prepared to put up with the way O'Leary chooses to run his airline. If you get separated the cabin staff will ask other passengers to change seats with you so that children are sat with a parent/guardian but if you are a family of 4 don't expect that this will necessarily mean 4 seats together - it could 2 + 2 - and don't expect this to necessarily be done with good grace on the part of either other passengers or the crew! The surliness of the crew towards me and my disabled mother on my last flight with them was one the reasons why it became my last EVER flight on Ryanair.

You won't be able to book most of the 'reserved seats' either because they are the seats by the emergency exits and hence you won't be able to sit there with your children. This 'reserved seat' system is really only a way for charging extra for seats that the 'priority boarders' would rush to scrimmage for!

SM
You won't be allocated seats unless you book reserved seats at £10/€10 each seat one way in row 2 only.
So Emma, that looks as if it would cost you another £80 for you to be sure that the 4 of you get to sit together on both the outbound and inbound flights but that there are only 6 max available reserved seats on each plane suitable for children. Have I been following this correctly AHV?

SM
SMa wrote:
Have I been following this correctly AHV?

That's correct as anyone under the age of 16 or with a disability (eg visually impaired, reduced mobility) can't sit in an exit row.

If you want seating together, priority boarding is a better option if you can't occupy reserved seating rows (other than 2) at £6/€6 per person per flight. This gives priority to the first 90 passengers from memory to seating other than reserved seats in rows 1, 2, 16 and 17 so there shouldn't be a problem getting 4 together.

Darren
Hi, thanks for all the advice. Have now booked my flights!! :)
Due to flight times, we are having to go out of Southampton with Flybe and back into Bournemouth with Ryanair, but it's manageable.
With regards to Ryanair, I have booked seats in row 2 (I didn't realise this was a new thing). I have been reassured by comments here re. boarding at Alicante airport, so thank you so much for those - really put my mind at rest.
Now on to post elsewhere for advice on car hire!!
Thanks for the replies everyone...

I suppose we will just have to try and get in the boarding queue as early as poss and try and got on plane first ;) I wont really mind if it 2+2 but its just if our son has to sit by himself he is only 9 (because obviously they have to seat 1 of us with the baby) if they try and seat him seperate we just wont fly, as he wont sit by himself :( Im sure it will all be ok :)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Emma B :tup
EmmaB88,

Seating on the Boeing 737-800 is 3-3. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). I've always found it easier having 3-1 rather than 2-2 as it means there's a seat either by the window or on the isle occupied by someone else, assuming the flight is full. At least if you're all across a row you can see each other and a couple can sit in the other 2 seats. Just depends what there is when you board.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.